Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Could you take a life?

life death morals

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1    Sean93

Sean93

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

• WRATH

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

Simple question, could you take a life?

I think I could if it was necessary and if the person in question wasn't the nicest of people ( Totalitarian Dictator, Warlord,  Corrupt Politician etc).

This question often brings peoples' own morals into play (which is what makes it Interesting to me) , and in many cases, their religious faiths too. Some say they could for the greater good; others say they cannot because only god has authority over life (I know some religions condone killing in certain situations).

I'll give you a situation:

You're in a room with a man/Woman who'll kill millions of people when he/she leaves the room. You have one chance to kill this person then and there and no one will ever find out (police) etc. Do you do it? For me the answer is yes, I could if I felt strongly about it.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”

#2    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:21 PM

Karmically speaking ,its not our place to punnish sociopathic dictators . It just isn't .That's for the universe to work out ,however,if my life,or the life of a loved one ,was ever threatened ,game over .
My house has been broken into ,three times over the 40 years my parents ,and then I,lived here .
If someone is in my home,reasons unknown ,whack with the machete,ask questions later .
End of story .

Miss me?

#3    Jeffertonturner

Jeffertonturner

Hero Squad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

• I may not be the smartest, or the best looking, or the most successful but...what was I saying? I'm depressed.

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

If I kill them I am no better.

~Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while -and do whatever you want all the time -you can miss it.~

#4    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,297 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:28 PM

If someone was on a murdering spree like Sandy Hook, going to kill a member of my family or my own life was in danger, yes.  It would not put me on their level because I wouldn't try to murder someone.

#5    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,445 posts

• There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:34 PM

yes i could

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#6    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ

• 2,419 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:40 PM

View PostSean93, on 11 January 2013 - 05:06 PM, said:

Simple question, could you take a life?

I think I could if it was necessary and if the person in question wasn't the nicest of people ( Totalitarian Dictator, Warlord,  Corrupt Politician etc).

This question often brings peoples' own morals into play (which is what makes it Interesting to me) , and in many cases, their religious faiths too. Some say they could for the greater good; others say they cannot because only god has authority over life (I know some religions condone killing in certain situations).

I'll give you a situation:

You're in a room with a man/Woman who'll kill millions of people when he/she leaves the room. You have one chance to kill this person then and there and no one will ever find out (police) etc. Do you do it? For me the answer is yes, I could if I felt strongly about it.

Cool Topic!

As far as I'm aware, Morals are Imposed, Ethics are projected. (I think this is an important distinction.)

Anyway, would I?
The situation you've given isn't enough for me. But I can think of plenty of situations where I would kill a person without hessitation so long as the criteria met my Ethics..

#7    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:16 PM

Hard question.

I could never take an innocent life, ever. I also don't feel like it's my right to take another life.

However to save an innocent life I would kill if it was the last resort.

The situation is difficult though, I mean I would knock the person out and tie them up, show their plans to someone of the law and get them locked away. But if thta wasn't an option and i knew innocent people would die, I wouldn't be able to not kill that person. However it would destroy me.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#8    pallidin

pallidin

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,370 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

I can think of several scenario's where I would likely kill:

- If an assailant has a clear intention of killing me or otherwise doing great harm to myself.

- If an intruder in my home is trying to abduct my children.

- If I happen to come across a rape victim being brutally attacked.

- If someone was clearly intending to set-off a weapon of mass distruction, and I was the only person capable of stopping him.

- If a maniac was shooting/stabbing, etc.. innocent people.

- If a police officer was in certain, grave danger from an arrest event.

- If an armed intruder(s) breaks into my home.

- If I am abducted at gunpoint anywhere, be it in my car, etc...

- There are many other scenario's

#9    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,387 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:22 PM

View Postpallidin, on 11 January 2013 - 06:17 PM, said:

I can think of several scenario's where I would likely kill:

- If an assailant has a clear intention of killing me or otherwise doing great harm to myself.

- If an intruder in my home is trying to abduct my children.

- If I happen to come across a rape victim being brutally attacked.

- If someone was clearly intending to set-off a weapon of mass distruction, and I was the only person capable of stopping him.

- If a maniac was shooting/stabbing, etc.. innocent people.

- If a police officer was in certain, grave danger from an arrest event.

- If an armed intruder(s) breaks into my home.

- If I am abducted at gunpoint anywhere, be it in my car, etc...

- There are many other scenario's

That's pretty much my list as well.

Although I wouldn't add the caveats of "armed" or "trying to abduct my children".  If they're in my home then they are a threat to me and my family - even if their intent is to only steal the toaster.  Because, frankly, I'm not in the business of judging intent in a situation like that.  You're in my home - you're a threat  Plain and simple.  Black and white.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#10    HerNibs

HerNibs

Grand Duchess Anaesthesia

• 12,091 posts

• Endless repetition does not make something true.

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:23 PM

Yup.  To save my life or the life/lives of others.

Could I just wander out my door and shoot someone?  Nope.

Nibs

Just because it is a mystery to YOU doesn't make it unexplained.

STORM - a must watch - caution, some profanity and may cause you to experience reason.

#11    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

Yeah I could

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#12    J. K.

J. K.

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

View PostHerNibs, on 11 January 2013 - 06:23 PM, said:

Yup.  To save my life or the life/lives of others.

Could I just wander out my door and shoot someone?  Nope.

Nibs

This matches with my attitude.  I would not commit murder, whether random or for selfish gain.  However, if I could protect innocent life, I would be capable of making the decision to kill.  As a school teacher whose classroom is near an outside door, I have thought about that a lot.  My first choice would be to incapacitate.  But if necessary...yes.

One's reality is another's nightmare.

#13    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,046 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:53 PM

I don't know.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#14    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,393 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

Yep.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated."
- Hunt for the Skinwalker

"So many people forget that the first country the Nazis invaded was their own." Dr. Abraham Erskine

#15    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

• Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    -- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:27 AM

Easier time taking a human life then killing an animal during a hunt. No illusion that all life is precious. Some people deserve death.

In that situation no. You don't kill people for something they didn't do yet. It's either during or after... not before.  Unless you could prove that the future was set in stone, I wouldn't kill him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users