Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Could you take a life?

life death morals

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#16    Catz

Catz

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:37 AM

Yes, if it comes to protecting my family, I will not hesitate to kill.  That does not bring me down to 'their level' as I will never go out and simply harm someone else.

:tsu:

#17    shadowx

shadowx

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:51 AM

To the original question, I was going to say yes before coming across the reply just two before mine lol. If they knew they were going to do this, means to do this, yes, instantly. If it was the other way, no.
I'm kinda weird where my brain and my faith conflict, I could be incredibly cruel given certain situations (threatening family, life, etc) if it wasn't for God saying not to do so. Still, given a self defense circumstance I wouldn't hesitate.

#18    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,527 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:09 AM

I would like to add to my previous post, that, if the opportunity was clear(they are percieved dangerous but not armed), I would rather shoot them in their legs, etc... and call the police. Or otherwise hold them at gunpoint without shooting but very much ready to shoot to kill if necessary.

EDIT: I've seen too many vids where it might have seemed possible to simply shoot and disable the attacker, rather than kill them. But I guess I couldn't say for sure how I would react in those circumstances.

Edited by pallidin, 12 January 2013 - 07:12 AM.

#19    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,300 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:09 AM

View PostSean93, on 11 January 2013 - 05:06 PM, said:

I'll give you a situation:

You're in a room with a man/Woman who'll kill millions of people when he/she leaves the room. You have one chance to kill this person then and there and no one will ever find out (police) etc. Do you do it? For me the answer is yes, I could if I felt strongly about it.
Yes I would.

#20    Blue Star

Blue Star

Telekinetic

• 7,566 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

Yes, I could but i don't want to.

#21    AquilaChrysaetos

AquilaChrysaetos

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

• "Some people wish to be the sun, so they can brighten your day. I wish to be the moon, which shines down upon you in your darkest hour."

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:51 PM

I certainly couldn't do that premeditatively, but in a split second decision I don't know what I'd do...

Jesus Christ - Matthew 28:18-20 said:

"All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Posted Image

#22    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,926 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

A strong No, but under certain circumstances who knows what I would do. I hope I never have to find out.

Posted Image

#23    Drayno

Drayno

Draynor's Finest

• 3,748 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:39 AM

I would never want to take any life in any situation.

But if it was simply a matter of protecting innocent people or myself, I could.

"Let us sit upon the ground and tell sad stories of the death of kings."
- William Shakespeare, Richard II, Act III, Scene II

#24    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,638 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:53 AM

Come after my children and I would indeed terminate their life. I would not enjoy having to do this but I would not stand back and allow my chhildren to be murdered.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#25    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 7,027 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:45 AM

I wish I could say yes.  The fact that he could walk out and kill millions because of my inaction is horrifying.

The evidence so far in my life suggests I would freeze.  Something inside me doesn't even let me hit worth a damn, no matter the provocation.  My hand goes up and gets ready for an almighty fist punch then at the last second some force inside pulls back and turns it into the touch of a feather on the other person's upper arm, not even where I was aiming in the first instance.

I think if it was more immediate in my face, trying to kill someone in front of me for instance then maybe I could overcome this force and act, but I don't know for sure tbh.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#26    RavenEyes19

RavenEyes19

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 193 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:00 AM

To protect myself or loved ones, I'd do it. And if someone brutally murdered someone I loved, it probably wouldn't be hard for me to kill them. I feel people who are of sane mind (can tell the difference between fantasy and reality) and commit truly heinous crimes are like rabid animals and should be put down.

#27    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,638 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:40 AM

View PostlibstaK, on 13 January 2013 - 01:45 AM, said:

I wish I could say yes.  The fact that he could walk out and kill millions because of my inaction is horrifying.

If millions of innocent lives were at stake I'd probably die trying to take them out.

The evidence so far in my life suggests I would freeze.  Something inside me doesn't even let me hit worth a damn, no matter the provocation.  My hand goes up and gets ready for an almighty fist punch then at the last second some force inside pulls back and turns it into the touch of a feather on the other person's upper arm, not even where I was aiming in the first instance.

Not me, I punch/kick as if I'm attempting to channel Bruce Lee's spirit. Remember, this is a murderer...someone that's going to kill the innocent (including you and your family).

Edited by Lilly, 13 January 2013 - 02:42 AM.
clarification

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#28    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 7,027 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:46 AM

View PostLilly, on 13 January 2013 - 02:40 AM, said:

If millions of innocent lives were at stake I'd probably die trying to take them out.

Not me, I punch/kick as if I'm attempting to channel Bruce Lee's spirit. Remember, this is a murderer...someone that's going to kill the innocent (including you and your family).
Yeah I hope I am capable of remembering that when it's needed most and I can't say my life experience has included something as clear cut as that so I have no real comparison beyond my armchair convictions.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#29    HecticSherlock

HecticSherlock

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 102 posts

• "I hate having to jump into convo's, idea's, or subjects without prior knowledge or facts to back me up..but if religion can do it!"

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:01 AM

I'm almost positive I could, to why though is a question I'm not so sure I can answer.. Psychologically speaking I don't think anyone is ever really able to take another's life or are they; it's really complicated when you think about it critically, not because we're not mentally capable or physically capable.. It's because we're humans, and let's be honest; we're flawed.

Art of Survival~

Posted Image

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" Epicurus

#30    Theater of Dreams

Theater of Dreams

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 53 posts

• 'Open your eyes, Victoria!'

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:25 AM

I think the only scenario where I would take another's life would be if they put someone I cared about in danger. If it's a matter of 'their life or the life of someone I care for,' than I don't think taking the life of someone who would harm someone I cared about is immoral. Rather, I think that it's almost natural, which seems like a disturbing thing to say, but it's how I feel about the matter. *shrugs*

Dream Theater

Also tagged with life, death, morals

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users