Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Largest structure in the universe discovered

quasars large quasar group lqg

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#16    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,797 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:09 AM

View PostAquilaChrysaetos, on 12 January 2013 - 01:06 AM, said:

:lol: Gotta finish the first job before we move on to the next one, eh?
Reckon thats the plan, considering the billions being spent....don`t think we are on the transfer  list though. :whistle:

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#17    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,100 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:24 AM

Is somebody actually going to post something intelligent and/or on topic or are we going to be subjected to more pages of inane comments?

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#18    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 6,797 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:38 AM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 12 January 2013 - 01:24 AM, said:

Is somebody actually going to post something intelligent and/or on topic or are we going to be subjected to more pages of inane comments?
Sorry, :blush:  what more can we say that has not already been said.....its an amazing big massive structure which we little people have no possibility of ever visiting.
At this moment in time it is an object out there....fascinating yes, but thats not too surprising. Will it have an impact on our lives right now....i doubt it.
But you are right, my little mind just cant comprehend it, but its wonderful to see it.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#19    AquilaChrysaetos

AquilaChrysaetos

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

• "Some people wish to be the sun, so they can brighten your day. I wish to be the moon, which shines down upon you in your darkest hour."

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:47 AM

I'm pretty much with freetoroam on this one. You can pretty much sum up the rest of the comments as "wow and cool" with the rest being satirical bull****...

Jesus Christ - Matthew 28:18-20 said:

"All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Posted Image

#20    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,482 posts

• I might have been born yesterday but, I've been up all night.

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:29 AM

View PostAquilaChrysaetos, on 12 January 2013 - 12:50 AM, said:

Oh goody. More planets for humans to go destroy...

EARTH FIRST!... we'll destroy the rest of the planets later.

sorry

#21    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,482 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:35 AM

I already preapologized for my previous inane comment.

But I thought the term 'structure' meant something that was purposely built, by a sentient being.

If this is a 'structure' then why isn't the Universe itself the largest structure?

#22    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,167 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:08 AM

View PostAquilaChrysaetos, on 12 January 2013 - 12:50 AM, said:

Oh goody. More planets for humans to go destroy...

we will be extinct before we can do that imo.

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#23    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,581 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:21 AM

The distances and time involved, as quoted below, truly are staggering, mind boggling in fact

"It would take a spaceship travelling at the speed of light four thousand million years to get from one end of the cluster to the other.
To give a sense of scale, our galaxy (the Milky Way) is separated from its nearest neighbour, the Andromeda galaxy, by two and a half million light years.

“While it is difficult to fathom the scale of this LQG, we can say quite definitely it is the largest structure ever seen in the entire Universe,” Clowes said in a press statement issued by Britain’s Royal Astronomical Society (RAS).

if traveling at the speed of light will still take - 4 thousand million years...I guess thats a very clear signal that vast parts of 'whats out there' (incl possible life) will never be known...

space is just incredible really, ever since I was a kid - just trying to conceive something so massive, without end..in any direction... almost makes my brain fizzle... like a computer that just cant compute... simply amazing

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#24    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 6,797 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:02 PM

View PostLikely Guy, on 12 January 2013 - 02:35 AM, said:

I already preapologized for my previous inane comment.

But I thought the term 'structure' meant something that was purposely built, by a sentient being.

If this is a 'structure' then why isn't the Universe itself the largest structure?
that did cross my mind, surely the largest structure out there is the Universe itself, but thought against putting as already had 1 slap on the wrist. :passifier:

#25    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:50 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 12 January 2013 - 02:02 PM, said:

that did cross my mind, surely the largest structure out there is the Universe itself, but thought against putting as already had 1 slap on the wrist. :passifier:
That cant be the biggest thing in the universe, I would think that there are way bigger things

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#26    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,100 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:52 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 12 January 2013 - 02:02 PM, said:

that did cross my mind, surely the largest structure out there is the Universe itself

When some one asks you "what is the largest thing in your house" would it not be illogical to answer "my house"? Since your house is not in your house it can not be the largest thing inside it.

By the same token the universe is not inside the universe so it would be illogical to consider it the largest structure within it.

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 12 January 2013 - 07:50 PM, said:

That cant be the biggest thing in the universe, I would think that there are way bigger things
Having made such a bold statement you will of course be providing us with your observations, empirical evidence or calculations, unless of course you are just making a wild guess.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#27    Asadora

Asadora

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:09 AM

That is truly transcendental, though I wonder, is it the biggest structure only in -our- universe, or the actual multiverse of which our universe exists. We may not be able to ever travel that distance; however, it is still pretty amazing that we can see via pictures whilst still in bed. To me, that alone says quite a bit of how much we have accomplished.

"From time to time there appear on the face of the earth men of rare and consummate excellence, who dazzle us by their virtue, and whose outstanding qualities shed a stupendous light. Like those extraordinary stars of whose origins we are ignorant, and of whose fate, once they have vanished, we know even less, such men have neither forebears nor descendants: they are the whole of their race."  -- Jean de la Bruyere 1645-1696.

#28    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,581 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:27 AM

View PostAsadora, on 13 January 2013 - 12:09 AM, said:

That is truly transcendental, though I wonder, is it the biggest structure only in -our- universe, or the actual multiverse of which our universe exists. We may not be able to ever travel that distance; however, it is still pretty amazing that we can see via pictures whilst still in bed. To me, that alone says quite a bit of how much we have accomplished.

may I be playful? I sort of understand exactly what you meant by: "I wonder, is it the biggest structure only in -our- universe, or the actual multiverse of which our universe exists."

There is no actual multiverse tho, is there? Its just a theory!  But please I am playing - and know what you meant.. sort of.. but so far as the news is concerned, yeh its the biggest 'so far'..

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#29    Pyridium

Pyridium

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:29 AM

Super article, Waspie, keep em comin.

The Milky Way is 100,000 light years in diameter.  4 billion light years in diameter is 4,000 times the diameter of the Milky Way.  Would that equal to about 4 million times the mass of the milky way?

There are 100 Billion stars in the Milky Way and there are 100 billion galaxies in our visible universe.  That makes at a minimum 200 Billion points of light surrounding us.  We have only begun to study some of the more interesting points of light and this point of light revealed a massive cluster.  It will take humans thousands of years to completely map and survey the universe.  We have just stumbled onto a large entity...I am sure there will be discovering other things out there that are much more massive.

#30    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,482 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:49 AM

View PostPyridium, on 13 January 2013 - 12:29 AM, said:

There are 100 Billion stars in the Milky Way and there are 100 billion galaxies in our visible universe.  That makes at a minimum 200 Billion points of light surrounding us...

I know that (until lately) galaxies appear to us as a single source of light. But allow me to throw out a mind boggling number...

There's at least a 100 billion stars in the Milky Way (given that it's an average galaxy) and there are at least a 100 billion galaxies, then there's perhaps 100 billion X 100 billion stars.

Or 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 (10 sextillion)stars.

Are there enough grains of sand on all the beaches to equal that number?

Edited by Likely Guy, 13 January 2013 - 12:58 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users