Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Ohio School Janitors To Carry Handguns

• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

#136    J. K.

J. K.

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

View PostStellar, on 14 January 2013 - 03:41 AM, said:

No that's not what I said. I said that perhaps the best answer is to reallocate spending so that the schools could have enough money to hire professionals.

In a way no, they aren't scarce, they're just poorly spent. Again, I'm talking about a reallocation. If you have a budget split into two areas A and B, A having 60% of the total budget and B needing more than its 40%, I think it would be worthwhile to really look into perhaps lowering A's percentage and raising B's. The spending overall wouldn't change.

Here are some random thoughts about the situation:

There are many schools in my area (Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas) that have lost teachers because of cuts of income from state.  Hiring new personnel for security is not an option.

There are ten different entrances to the building that I am in.  Additionally, students have to travel outside the building and across a parking lot to get to the athletic field.  One or two security personnel cannot cover an entire campus efficiently.

Some of our janitors don't speak English.  That could be a problem in an emergency situation if they were the armed personnel.

One's reality is another's nightmare.

#137    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 6,983 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

Wouldn't the janitor's rather large key-rings get in the way if they ever have to draw their weapons? :P

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#138    aztek

aztek

Alien Abducter

• 5,065 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

View PostJ. K., on 14 January 2013 - 04:33 PM, said:

Here are some random thoughts about the situation:

There are many schools in my area (Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas) that have lost teachers because of cuts of income from state.  Hiring new personnel for security is not an option.

There are ten different entrances to the building that I am in.  Additionally, students have to travel outside the building and across a parking lot to get to the athletic field.  One or two security personnel cannot cover an entire campus efficiently.

Some of our janitors don't speak English.  That could be a problem in an emergency situation if they were the armed personnel.
same here, teachers get laid off, some schools close, even some firehouses close, all to patch up billion dollars state gap. but hey, what do we americans know, it is them who live in other countries, some thousands miles away, know beter than us here, of course. who are we to say how it really is, lol

RESIDENT TROLL.

#139    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,765 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:07 PM

View Postaztek, on 14 January 2013 - 04:23 PM, said:

yea,so what is your point? it doesn't make any difference.

your words.

if you truly believe that schools need more security, wouldn't it make sense to use all the money being spent on police drones and instead spend it on school security?

pertty clear what you meant, and my answer still stands,

NO, IT WOULD NOT MAKE SENSE.

may be it isn't my reading, but your wrighting??

If it was my "wrighting", Becky's Mom would be agreeing with you, not me.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent."

----Seraphina

#140    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,193 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

View Postaztek, on 14 January 2013 - 04:23 PM, said:

may be it isn't my reading, but your wrighting??

No, it is your reading..  Here is his full quote again..

View PostStellar, on 14 January 2013 - 03:43 AM, said:

Hell, on the topic of reallocation of money, if you truly believe that schools need more security, wouldn't it make sense to use all the money being spent on police drones and instead spend it on school security?

He clearly is saying  and instead spend it on school security ..This is as clear as a bell.. When you read it correctly to sum up  - He is saying not to spend it on police drones and instead spend it on school security.. If you still fail to see that, then I am sorry but I am not going to explain it again..

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 14 January 2013 - 05:16 PM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#141    rashore

rashore

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,617 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:55 PM

Hell, on the topic of reallocation of money, if you truly believe that schools need more security, wouldn't it make sense to use all the money being spent on police drones and instead spend it on school security?

I took Stellars comment to mean take all money currently being used or is earmarked for police droids and reallocate it to hire security people for schools. It would make more sense to use the funds in the schools if ones belief is that schools need more security.
Though I think it is an interesting suggestion.. I'm not sure there's really enough police droid allotted funds to reallocate to make much of an impact on the funds that would be required to hire the additional security staff.

#142    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:02 PM

Guns in schools scares many kids and will make it harder for them to concentrate on why there there...to learn. Sad we even have to have this conversation.

#143    aztek

aztek

Alien Abducter

• 5,065 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

View PostStellar, on 14 January 2013 - 05:07 PM, said:

If it was my "wrighting", Becky's Mom would be agreeing with you, not me.

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 14 January 2013 - 05:15 PM, said:

No, it is your reading..  Here is his full quote again..

He clearly is saying  and instead spend it on school security ..This is as clear as a bell.. When you read it correctly to sum up  - He is saying not to spend it on police drones and instead spend it on school security.. If you still fail to see that, then I am sorry but I am not going to explain it again..

ok, if that is the case, than it's my fault, you both are right.

i admit, i read it wrong.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#144    Yamato

Yamato

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,854 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:29 PM

View PostStellar, on 14 January 2013 - 02:01 PM, said:

But I'm not looking for more money, I'm looking to just take money being already spent and spend it elsewhere.

And with the extra money, the school could find a professional security company they trust. Security would be they're number one job. Chances are they're better at it than the current option being considered.
Everyone can agree on spending cuts in a vacuum.  The devil and the details show up, and everyone's feigned sense of fiscal responsibility disappears as fast as it arrived.   You've got to cut spending in the school, even to train and arm the janitor.  That's going to cost something.   Go tell lower-middle class people they should buy BMWs because they're safer than Chevrolets, all they have to do is take money already being spent and spend it elsewhere.  Right.

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#145    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,765 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

View PostYamato, on 14 January 2013 - 06:29 PM, said:

Everyone can agree on spending cuts in a vacuum.  The devil and the details show up, and everyone's feigned sense of fiscal responsibility disappears as fast as it arrived.   You've got to cut spending in the school, even to train and arm the janitor.  That's going to cost something.   Go tell lower-middle class people they should buy BMWs because they're safer than Chevrolets, all they have to do is take money already being spent and spend it elsewhere.  Right.
Well that's exactly the point of discussion: to determine where the money is needed most. Can, for instance, the military budget get cut back and those funds reallocated to security for schools? I believe that if we are to be honest about "protecting our children", this approach should not be ignored.

----Seraphina

#146    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

no military spending cant be cut to fund school security. Thats the same as an invading army. Foreign or Domestic.

#147    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,765 posts

-Patton

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

View PostAsteroidX, on 14 January 2013 - 06:54 PM, said:

no military spending cant be cut to fund school security. Thats the same as an invading army. Foreign or Domestic.

Why?

And just before someone accuses me of something, I was using the military budget simply as an example, as it is often times pointed out that the USs defense spending is abnormally large.

Edited by Stellar, 14 January 2013 - 06:57 PM.

----Seraphina

#148    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

I dont disagree with your overall comment Stellar just that we need to be careful what lines were crossing. Why would these same anti gun yahoo's want guns placed into there childs school. Emplyee disgruntlment shootings arent unheard of either.

#149    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,765 posts

-Patton

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:15 PM

View PostAsteroidX, on 14 January 2013 - 06:59 PM, said:

I dont disagree with your overall comment Stellar just that we need to be careful what lines were crossing. Why would these same anti gun yahoo's want guns placed into there childs school. Emplyee disgruntlment shootings arent unheard of either.

Oh I completely agree, but if people have decided that that is something they want in schools, they should look at all the options to make it work best.

----Seraphina

#150    Yamato

Yamato

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,854 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:31 PM

View PostStellar, on 14 January 2013 - 06:52 PM, said:

Well that's exactly the point of discussion: to determine where the money is needed most. Can, for instance, the military budget get cut back and those funds reallocated to security for schools? I believe that if we are to be honest about "protecting our children", this approach should not be ignored.
I do NOT accept militarizing our schools, sir.  Let people handle it.  Let people decide.

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users