Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do Animals go to Heaven?

Ultima Weapon

Animals on the other side? It's a sign of human egotism that not only do we somehow want to cheat death and continue on, but we want to bring our pets with us too! But as for the question no, I don't believe in pets going to heaven, mostly because I know animals are lower lifeforms that are incapable of higher thought and therefore there is nothing to pass on... heck I am not even certain we continue on after death... That may be an ability that a higher form of humanity will have in the future.

Well I admire your forthrightness on a topic a lot of people have strong feelings about. I disagree, though.

I don't know if there is an afterlife, but if there is one, animals have it too. I don't see where they differ from us qualitatively, so there would be no logical reason for their experience to be different from ours.

You say that animals are a "lower" form of life. In many ways this is true. We are smarter than they are. But that doesn't say they don't have their own smartness, and, more important, they share with us sentience.

Sentience is the ability to experience the world and to experience emotions.

• Like 1

Personally I don't know what to think about disabled humans, I would want to believe that they too have souls, but in cases where their is no complex thought I am left in doubt. But as someone who interacts with a person in the later stages of dementia I can speak from experience that after you reach a certain point there is nothing left. Now does that mean they won't have an afterlife? Who knows? Now as for the animals, of that I am certain they have no higher thought and are unable to have it. In the case of a disabled human they at least could be cured of their ailment and reach their full potential but in animals they are just bodies walking around

So, you if you died today, you'd have an afterlife, but if someone suffers through dementia you aren't sure that person will have one? :blink:

What about a child? A baby doesn't have "higher thought" and is unable to imagine other worlds or participate in debates. Do babies not have an afterlife? What about a two year old who is talking and making up stories? Do they have an afterlife? What's the cutoff point? Anyone over 1 1/2 years gets and afterlife, but newborns to 1 1/2 years don't?

Seriously, please go over to the Are Humans Special thread - big debate going on about humans being "higher" than humans. You'll fit right in with Mr Walker's ideas! :)

The problem I'm seeing recur is the notion that the afterlife automatically has some sort of association with thinking level. Is it possible, absolutely. But certainly not set in stone.

• Like 1

So, you if you died today, you'd have an afterlife, but if someone suffers through dementia you aren't sure that person will have one? :blink:

What about a child? A baby doesn't have "higher thought" and is unable to imagine other worlds or participate in debates. Do babies not have an afterlife? What about a two year old who is talking and making up stories? Do they have an afterlife? What's the cutoff point? Anyone over 1 1/2 years gets and afterlife, but newborns to 1 1/2 years don't?

Seriously, please go over to the Are Humans Special thread - big debate going on about humans being "higher" than humans. You'll fit right in with Mr Walker's ideas! :)

Okay, I will take on your questions with questions on my own. What would be the point of a infant having a soul? They have no personality no thoughts and are totally helpless, as a spirit they would be little more then a mass of floating desires and fears and in all respects they would be unknowable as independent beings. A slightly older child has thoughts and feelings and even a few memories but, they are underdeveloped and are largely just a product of the programming it's guardians have put into it. Only when a person begins to think clearly for themselves can a person be called truly human. As for what age that happens? It varies a great deal, some mature by their mid teens others can be in their 50s and are still fundementally childlike and as such not yet totally human

I saw a video a few days ago about a dolphin that swam up to a dive instructor and asked for help in removing fishing line from it's person. it squeeked at him then stuck the fishing line entangled flipper in his face and waited for help squeeking all the while ( most likely due to the pain of the cuts.)

I recently saw a video of a dog that braved traffic to save another dog that had been hit by that traffic, he dragged the injured one off the freeway and both lived

i remember a video of a dog that went out into traffic and blocked it from hitting another dog that had already been killed in that traffic.

i recently saw a video of a dog going to church to morn it's dead master. Every day same place same time no one would feed it no one took it home no one did more than take pictures and videos.

i seem to remember a story about a pod of dolphins that saved a swimmer from a white shark ( don't know if it was true or just a story BUT....)

Stories like this tell me that if there is an after life ( which i doubt) man kind is not going to be the only creature that will be there. In Fact some animals may deserve it more than many humans ( myself included) do.

Edited by mysticwerewolf