Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Hollande steps up France security

francois hollande

  • Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

    Deeply Mysterious

  • 35,910 posts
  • Joined:01 Jun 2008
  • Gender:Female

  • Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

French President Francois Hollande has ordered an increase in domestic security in the aftermath of military operations in Africa.

He was responding to the risk of Islamist attack after French forces intervened against militants in Mali.

A pilot was killed as France launched air strikes on a column of rebels.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-20999348

Posted Image

#2    freetoroam

freetoroam

    Honourary member of the UM asylum

  • Member
  • 5,685 posts
  • Joined:11 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:rivers and canals of England and Wales.

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:28 PM

An Ansar Dine spokesman told Reuters news agency there would be consequences for French citizens throughout the Muslim world

====================
and they mean anywhere in the World, not just muslim countries.
The quicker we all get out the better, sorry, but once it starts to affect us innocent people on our home land, then something has to be done.
i am sick and tired of western leaders getting involved in these countries and thinking they can take control, they can`t. At the same time, we in England should NEVER have allowed the islamists to flourish here. History shows that it will never work, those against the west want their own laws and communities and have no intentions of integration with us.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#3    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

    hi

  • Member
  • 7,596 posts
  • Joined:22 Apr 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portsmouth

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:08 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 12 January 2013 - 07:28 PM, said:

An Ansar Dine spokesman told Reuters news agency there would be consequences for French citizens throughout the Muslim world

====================
and they mean anywhere in the World, not just muslim countries.
The quicker we all get out the better, sorry, but once it starts to affect us innocent people on our home land, then something has to be done.
i am sick and tired of western leaders getting involved in these countries and thinking they can take control, they can`t. At the same time, we in England should NEVER have allowed the islamists to flourish here. History shows that it will never work, those against the west want their own laws and communities and have no intentions of integration with us.
I think you find Mali wanted French help personally because they were struggling quite bad on their own, and being a former French colony, you could see why.


#4    and then

and then

    Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

  • Member
  • 11,836 posts
  • Joined:15 Dec 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Land's End

  • Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:48 PM

The Brits are helping and some west African nations are rushing a few thousand troops in also.
http://www.dailymail...ist-rebels.html

  Imagination is the power in the turn of a phrase.

#5    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • Joined:08 Apr 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The edge of the West Pennine Moors, Northern England

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

View Postand then, on 12 January 2013 - 10:48 PM, said:

The Brits are helping and some west African nations are rushing a few thousand troops in also.
http://www.dailymail...ist-rebels.html

The French military (or any other European military) doesn't have the heavy lifting capabilities that the British military has.  So the RAF has sent a couple of huge C-17 Globemasters - bigger than any plane the French military has - to France to pick up French kit and transport it to Mali.

Posted Image

Edited by TheLastLazyGun, 13 January 2013 - 04:23 PM.


#6    stevewinn

stevewinn

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 7,939 posts
  • Joined:05 Feb 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Liverpool, England

  • Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:24 PM

its good to see the cooperation between two allies, Britain-France. i wish the French luck in tackling the rebels. lets hope they secure the future of Mali for the benefit of the people and the surrounding countries.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#7    keithisco

keithisco

    Alien Abducter

  • Member
  • 5,179 posts
  • Joined:06 May 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rincon de Loix, Benidorm

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

What has any of this to do with the UK?!!!

from the report "Al-Qaida Linked"  - what the heck does that mean - oh let me guess - the forces are largely Islamic therefore, by association, must be linked to Al Qaida. I suppose it is a good diversion for Cameron, who is going to announce NO In - Out referendum on the EU on the 22nd...


#8    stevewinn

stevewinn

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 7,939 posts
  • Joined:05 Feb 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Liverpool, England

  • Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

View Postkeithisco, on 14 January 2013 - 07:38 PM, said:

What has any of this to do with the UK?!!!

from the report "Al-Qaida Linked"  - what the heck does that mean - oh let me guess - the forces are largely Islamic therefore, by association, must be linked to Al Qaida. I suppose it is a good diversion for Cameron, who is going to announce NO In - Out referendum on the EU on the 22nd...

Listening to the announcement today from Parliament the French phoned us up, asking if we could help with the heavy lift element. and we agreed to help a neighbour. but it should be no surprise the British and French armed forces have been doing a hell of a lot of training together. in Africa. and right now in in the UK. our navies have been conducting a hell of a lot of exercises together over the last two years. Corisan Lion was the last one if i remember correctly.

so an alliance is at work.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#9    acidhead

acidhead

    Were Not Your Slaves!

  • Member
  • 10,156 posts
  • Joined:13 Feb 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Victoria, BC CANADA

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:08 PM

Does this remind anybody of the beginning of the Vietnam War?

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

#10    questionmark

questionmark

    Cinicus Magnus

  • Member
  • 33,478 posts
  • Joined:26 Jun 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Greece and Des Moines, IA

  • In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:15 PM

View Postacidhead, on 14 January 2013 - 09:08 PM, said:

Does this remind anybody of the beginning of the Vietnam War?

Not really. Over the last 30 years the French had similar interventions in all their former colonies in Africa. This one is going to be no different.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#11    Corp

Corp

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 6,918 posts
  • Joined:19 Jun 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ottawa

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

The Mali government has asked for help, the African Union has been planning to step in for a few months now, and from the sounds of it the Mali people don't want the rebels taking charge but can't get their crap together to stop them. I see nothing wrong with France's involvement and wish them the best of luck.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse...A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

#12    keithisco

keithisco

    Alien Abducter

  • Member
  • 5,179 posts
  • Joined:06 May 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rincon de Loix, Benidorm

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

View Poststevewinn, on 14 January 2013 - 08:00 PM, said:

Listening to the announcement today from Parliament the French phoned us up, asking if we could help with the heavy lift element. and we agreed to help a neighbour. but it should be no surprise the British and French armed forces have been doing a hell of a lot of training together. in Africa. and right now in in the UK. our navies have been conducting a hell of a lot of exercises together over the last two years. Corisan Lion was the last one if i remember correctly.

so an alliance is at work.

This is the exercise you refer to (Incorrectly)...

British and French soldiers took part in the exercise

"BRITISH soldiers have been building bridges with their French counterparts on an exercise in some of Northumberland’s most brutal landscapes.

Exercise Eagle Sapper – which ended yesterday – saw about 400 Anglo-French airborne engineers use their skills to construct a portable ferry bridge over the two-mile wide expanse of Kielder Water, the biggest man-made lake in northern Europe.

The sappers – soldiers who perform a variety of military engineering duties – also deployed to the Otterburn army training area for another testing challenge, which included crossing rivers using special bridging equipment.

The 10-day exercise scenario placed the troops in a humanitarian relief operation in a country facing famine and struggling to recover from damage caused by a tsunami, with Government control undermined by insurgents. Sappers from 23 Engineer Regiment (Air Assault) travelled to Northumberland from their base in Suffolk to join forces with French troops from 17e Regiment du Genie Parachutiste.

The first phase of the exercise involved the soldiers using portable ferry bridge equipment to move vehicles and personnel across two miles of Kielder Water in a shuttle-style operation.

After moving to Otterbun, they were challenged to build water supply points capable of providing 40,000 litres of drinking water every day. They also had to cross rivers using bridging equipment and improvised materials, and build defensive positions which were then attacked by ‘enemy’ forces.

The training was intended to test the unit in its role of providing combat engineering support to 16 Air Assault Brigade, which is ready to deploy anywhere in the world at short notice for operations ranging from disaster relief to war fighting.


Lt Col Jason Hones, commanding officer of 23 Engineer Regiment (Air Assault), said: “Exercise Eagle Sapper has seen our soldiers working for up to 22 hours a day on demanding tasks, that test both their combat engineering and infantry skills in very harsh terrain and weather conditions.

“It is important that we test the mettle of the soldier we are going to send on operations in arduous and unknown conditions, so that we know he can cope with anything that is thrown at him. If a soldier can survive in Northumberland in winter he can survive anywhere in the world.”

The French troops joined the exercise as part of the developing partnership between 16 Air Assault Brigade and 11e Brigade Parachutiste, which have been tasked to develop a combined joint expeditionary force.

Lt Col Hones said: “We're really lucky to have soldiers from our French partner regiment with us, having recently sent troops over to train in France. “Working together on this exercise is developing our integration at the section level, to learn how we each operate and our particular strengths and weaknesses.”


none of this is relevant to Mali - and some of your previous posts ("Cheese eating surrender monkeys") makes we wonder why your sudden support for a nation such as France??

I think this all ties in with your disgust of the EU... who do you think should the EU consist of?


#13    stevewinn

stevewinn

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 7,939 posts
  • Joined:05 Feb 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Liverpool, England

  • Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:38 PM

View Postacidhead, on 14 January 2013 - 09:08 PM, said:

Does this remind anybody of the beginning of the Vietnam War?

i have to admit when a first heard it on the NEWS France had gone in at the request of the Mali government, - the thought did pop in there. we'll soon see how it pans out, i guess we'll know more in a few weeks time if the rebels can counter attack successfully we might see an escalation. imagine that, out of Afghanistan and into Africa. with the Afghan war coming to an end we need another foreign adventure. roughly every ten years we go on these jollies. guess we'll have to stay tuned.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#14    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 3,570 posts
  • Joined:16 Dec 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Free America

  • it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:40 PM

They gonna need that extra security after lettting all so many muslims immigrate then attacking one of there countries. Opus of stupid.


#15    stevewinn

stevewinn

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 7,939 posts
  • Joined:05 Feb 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Liverpool, England

  • Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

View Postkeithisco, on 15 January 2013 - 05:35 PM, said:

This is the exercise you refer to (Incorrectly)...

British and French soldiers took part in the exercise

"BRITISH soldiers have been building bridges with their French counterparts on an exercise in some of Northumberland’s most brutal landscapes.

Exercise Eagle Sapper – which ended yesterday – saw about 400 Anglo-French airborne engineers use their skills to construct a portable ferry bridge over the two-mile wide expanse of Kielder Water, the biggest man-made lake in northern Europe.

The sappers – soldiers who perform a variety of military engineering duties – also deployed to the Otterburn army training area for another testing challenge, which included crossing rivers using special bridging equipment.

The 10-day exercise scenario placed the troops in a humanitarian relief operation in a country facing famine and struggling to recover from damage caused by a tsunami, with Government control undermined by insurgents. Sappers from 23 Engineer Regiment (Air Assault) travelled to Northumberland from their base in Suffolk to join forces with French troops from 17e Regiment du Genie Parachutiste.

The first phase of the exercise involved the soldiers using portable ferry bridge equipment to move vehicles and personnel across two miles of Kielder Water in a shuttle-style operation.

After moving to Otterbun, they were challenged to build water supply points capable of providing 40,000 litres of drinking water every day. They also had to cross rivers using bridging equipment and improvised materials, and build defensive positions which were then attacked by ‘enemy’ forces.

The training was intended to test the unit in its role of providing combat engineering support to 16 Air Assault Brigade, which is ready to deploy anywhere in the world at short notice for operations ranging from disaster relief to war fighting.


Lt Col Jason Hones, commanding officer of 23 Engineer Regiment (Air Assault), said: “Exercise Eagle Sapper has seen our soldiers working for up to 22 hours a day on demanding tasks, that test both their combat engineering and infantry skills in very harsh terrain and weather conditions.

“It is important that we test the mettle of the soldier we are going to send on operations in arduous and unknown conditions, so that we know he can cope with anything that is thrown at him. If a soldier can survive in Northumberland in winter he can survive anywhere in the world.”

The French troops joined the exercise as part of the developing partnership between 16 Air Assault Brigade and 11e Brigade Parachutiste, which have been tasked to develop a combined joint expeditionary force.

Lt Col Hones said: “We're really lucky to have soldiers from our French partner regiment with us, having recently sent troops over to train in France. “Working together on this exercise is developing our integration at the section level, to learn how we each operate and our particular strengths and weaknesses.”


none of this is relevant to Mali - and some of your previous posts ("Cheese eating surrender monkeys") makes we wonder why your sudden support for a nation such as France??

I think this all ties in with your disgust of the EU... who do you think should the EU consist of?

The operation you quote was not the one i was referring to, Corisan lion was the Navy exercise and the Army is happening now. im waiting for the UK armed forces to post in its NEWS section once complete, it takes a week or two after.

am not saying any exercises conducted with the British French was in preparation for Mali. just simply pointing out the co-operation between allies. and over the years. which is why we are lending a hand to our neighbour.

as for your EU question. The EU should consist of whoever wants to join. and allowed to join. as for France its the old Cheese Eating surrender monkeys is banter between two of the top countries in the EU, France is much like the UK - throughout history we have mirrored one another from the old empire days to a strong Navy. i do give credit to France on occasions. and i do have a hidden admiration for the frogs.

Edited by stevewinn, 15 January 2013 - 06:23 PM.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users