Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

War of the Worlds


  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

    Facebook Fiend

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Joined:25 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Middleton,Greater Manchester,UK

  • Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

Does anybody remember this oddity from the late eighties?
It's basically a sequel to the George Pal film from 1952.
Apparently the aliens didn't die and were in a state of suspended animation.
So they got stored in barrels of radioactive gunk until they got shot to pieces by terrorists.
Then the aliens proceeded to take over the terrorist bodies by osmosis.
I wonder if anybody can  complete the story for me....
Btw some of the stuff in the series is pretty grisly.

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

#2    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

    hi

  • Member
  • 7,584 posts
  • Joined:22 Apr 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portsmouth

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

View PostMedium Brown, on 12 January 2013 - 08:43 PM, said:

Does anybody remember this oddity from the late eighties?
It's basically a sequel to the George Pal film from 1952.
Apparently the aliens didn't die and were in a state of suspended animation.
So they got stored in barrels of radioactive gunk until they got shot to pieces by terrorists.
Then the aliens proceeded to take over the terrorist bodies by osmosis.
I wonder if anybody can  complete the story for me....
Btw some of the stuff in the series is pretty grisly.
Sounds like the zombie film which I forget what is called lol....Brains!!!!!!!!!!!!


#3    Oppono Astos

Oppono Astos

    Overlord of Delgon

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts
  • Joined:06 Jan 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Beyond your dimension

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:08 PM

Very vague memories of this on late night Central TV.
IIRC correctly this series worked in the idea of earlier Martian invasions as reality; with Wells' original book, the Orson Wells radio-play, then the George Pal movie as documentary records of the first three invasions, the TV series was the fourth invasion?

Who is the skeptic: the realist who won't accept belief, or the believer who won't accept reality?

#4    EllJay

EllJay

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,152 posts
  • Joined:26 Dec 2009
  • Gender:Male

  • Today We Are Creating Tomorrow's Yesterday

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

I haven't seen that one TV-series,. The thing I remember most from the new War Of The Worlds movie was this line where Tom Cruise tries to explain to his provincial son where the machines came from. :D



http://www.youtube.c...v7iRaWOOQ#t=47s

"Opinions are like a**holes, everyone seems to have one" - Dirty Harry

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand... "

"I have a black belt in Feng Shui, the subtle martial art. I go home to you and move a lamp and a chair... twelve years later you lay there on the floor with broken kneecaps and destitute."

#5    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

    Facebook Fiend

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Joined:25 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Middleton,Greater Manchester,UK

  • Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:43 PM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 12 January 2013 - 08:52 PM, said:


Sounds like the zombie film which I forget what is called lol....Brains!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not quite. However...
The aliens were led by a trio called the Advocacy.
Despite their hatred of mankind they were actually vegetarians.
In the episode " To Heal A Leper" they actually used the essence of the brain.
One of the Advocacy had fallen sick so due to their logic system they managed to cure him with it.
And when the Blackwood Project tried to get hold of the technology it disintegrated in their hands.
Tbh it was a particularly gruesome episode because they hacked the heads from the dead and alive.

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

#6    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

    Facebook Fiend

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Joined:25 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Middleton,Greater Manchester,UK

  • Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:52 PM

View PostOppono Astos, on 12 January 2013 - 09:08 PM, said:

Very vague memories of this on late night Central TV.
IIRC correctly this series worked in the idea of earlier Martian invasions as reality; with Wells' original book, the Orson Wells radio-play, then the George Pal movie as documentary records of the first three invasions, the TV series was the fourth invasion?
All the best stuff seems to be in the graveyard slot.
There was a lot of artistic license used in this series.
If you can believe the canon these aliens were not Martians but Mortaxians.
They just used Mars as a forwarding base for their main invasion.
In the series the Orson Welles radio- play wasn't a hoax after all.
The Grover's Mill incident involved a Mortaxian scout ship.
So they disguised themselves as bikers and tried to locate it with an improvised vacuum cleaner.
Some members of the original resistance helped the Blackwood Project thwart their plans.
It's a good thing because the craft still had a working death ray.

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

#7    Oniomancer

Oniomancer

    Soulless Minion Of Orthodoxy

  • Member
  • 3,137 posts
  • Joined:20 Jul 2008
  • Gender:Male

  • Question everything

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:31 PM

Oh yeah, I remember that. It's one of those shows like Buffy where I hated the entire concept until I saw a few episodes, then I got hooked on it. I never did see the last season or so.  The basic concept was a rip because it was just the same old "they walk among us" shtick from The Invaders that so many of them used.
Do you remember the teaser commercials for this with the freaky voice over?

"Apparently the Lemurians drank Schlitz." - Intrepid "Real People" reporter on finding a mysterious artifact in the depths of Mount Shasta.

#8    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

    Facebook Fiend

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Joined:25 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Middleton,Greater Manchester,UK

  • Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:25 PM

View PostOniomancer, on 12 January 2013 - 11:31 PM, said:

Oh yeah, I remember that. It's one of those shows like Buffy where I hated the entire concept until I saw a few episodes, then I got hooked on it. I never did see the last season or so.  The basic concept was a rip because it was just the same old "they walk among us" shtick from The Invaders that so many of them used.
Do you remember the teaser commercials for this with the freaky voice over?
It caught me unawares the first time it got broadcast when I had insomnia.
Because it wasn't a prime time show ITV made absolutely no attempt to promote it.
But like you said it's a totally undiscovered gem that will get you hooked for life.
I'm absolutely amazed that not more people have cottoned on to it.
However I wouldn't waste my time on the last season unless your into cyberpunk.
There was no correlation between this and the first season and didn't even feature the same aliens.
I don't know where you come from but I don't recall any freaky commercials.
However Harrison Blackwood did a freaky voice-over at the start of every episode.

Edited by Medium Brown, 13 January 2013 - 10:27 PM.

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

#9    Oniomancer

Oniomancer

    Soulless Minion Of Orthodoxy

  • Member
  • 3,137 posts
  • Joined:20 Jul 2008
  • Gender:Male

  • Question everything

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:52 PM

View PostMedium Brown, on 13 January 2013 - 10:25 PM, said:

It caught me unawares the first time it got broadcast when I had insomnia.
Because it wasn't a prime time show ITV made absolutely no attempt to promote it.
But like you said it's a totally undiscovered gem that will get you hooked for life.
I'm absolutely amazed that not more people have cottoned on to it.
However I wouldn't waste my time on the last season unless your into cyberpunk.
There was no correlation between this and the first season and didn't even feature the same aliens.
I don't know where you come from but I don't recall any freaky commercials.
However Harrison Blackwood did a freaky voice-over at the start of every episode.


That sounds like the final season of Earth: Final Conflict.

It was one of the aliens speaking, saying how they came to our world years ago and how we thought they all gone, then,
"You were wrong! We never left!"

Edited by Oniomancer, 13 January 2013 - 10:53 PM.

"Apparently the Lemurians drank Schlitz." - Intrepid "Real People" reporter on finding a mysterious artifact in the depths of Mount Shasta.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users