Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Taking a Bigfoot alive.

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#61    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:32 AM

Hmmmmm?

I've been doing some checking, it seems that 1/8" wire rope cable has a breaking strength of 1700 lbs and capture hardware is readily available. !/8" is what is recommended for catching bears Black and Grizzly. Trick is none of the hardware is designed to prevent anything like a primate from releasing themselves. Looks like 1/4" migh be the way to go but I'll need to make up my own hardware.

#62    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:19 AM

Something else to consider when trapping a bigfoot, if a trap is not somehow bigfoot specific, how many other animals which are much more abundant (and of lower intelligence?) will you be catching instead?
You may have to go through a lot of deer or elk or even bear before one bigfoot.
This would put a damper on your spirit and try patience, energy, time, money.. and possibly traps, imo

#63    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:31 AM

That's the point of putting a fixed stop on the snare and putting it down low. The idea would be to snare a Bigfoot, which is a rather large beasty and very strong. The snare noose would be large enough that small game could pass threw, low enough things like deer, elk and bears wouldn't get caught and yet be effective to capture a Bigfoot. However, due to my own humanitarian thinking, I don't want to injure the creature more than I'd need to, so making it the way I have in mind would be to trap it but not allow it to escape or take the darn thing off once it was caught.

That's the theory anyway. I might be pumping sunshine up my skirt, but it's my skirt......so?

I know it seems like a waste of time, however if I were to encounter a Bigfoot and shot it outright without taking at least some time to try and figure out some way to take the thing alive then I'd regret it the rest of my life. And I hate regrets and already have too many of them.

Edited by keninsc, 25 January 2013 - 10:03 AM.

#64    Stardrive

Stardrive

Resident Bass Guitarist

• 3,209 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

I don't know ol pal. Can't seem to be able to wrap my noggin around how one could be captured alive. Seems like it would put up a good fuss no matter.

Just have a recovery plan if you manage to shoot one.

Posted Image

#65    xstaticx69

xstaticx69

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:14 PM

So why would you want to use tasers over tranquilizer guns? Once you stop the current from the taser bigfoot will be right back in action and very very angry! Not to mention bigfoot's hairy hide might be too thick for the taser to even penetrate and you would be up a creek without a paddle then.

What if bigfoot reacts like this guy:

I sure wouldn't want bigfoot making threats to me, but I think tranquilizing bigfoot would be a much better option. Once he is knocked out he stays knocked out for awhile. Once he is sleeping like a baby he will be easy to transport and get restraints on, well as easy as moving 800 lbs of dead weight can be.

#66    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:41 PM

We've already touched on why tranquing a Bigfoot might be an issue. The problem with Tazers is pretty much what this video shows, and I have no idea what you'd have to crank one up to in order to subdue a Bigfoot.......assuming Bigfoot are 1) real and 2) close enough to use one on them.

Sadly, in the end, shooting one and then pulling the body out might be the only realistic solution.  However, I'll keep working on the idea of the leg snare, of all the ones discussed that's the only one that seems to offer some possibilities. Of course, the other side of the coin is getting a really p***ed off live Bigfoot back for scientific evaluation. Telepathy, odor, feces, the Bigfoot Body Recovery Team and the droves of Porcupines coming in will make it tough.

#67    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,354 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:50 PM

the droves of Porcupines coming in will make it tough.

:tu:

Made me laugh, TY

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#68    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:42 PM

Maybe the live capture of a bigfoot would not be as violent and dangerous as we all assume. And other, less aggressive methods employed for capture.

No matter how much I'd love a bloodthirsty bigfoot who stalks humans, terrorizing them into insanity!

I still hold more to the assumption that we are dealing with a Gentle Giant. Otherwise, besides not existing :tsu:
explaining a lack of physical encounters...being a non-aggressive, gentle creature would also explain the lack of violent encounters with these creatures leaving human and Foot  dead and injured behind.

However, any animal, no matter how gentle of disposition could become very violent if captured, restrained, or in physical pain.

So, I have no point, I guess.

Carry on...

Edited by QuiteContrary, 26 January 2013 - 08:44 PM.

#69    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:03 PM

No, you have a point, same point I'm messing around with really and just shooting one outright without taking the time or putting some effort into a live capture is just wrong. Now don't get me wrong, I'm assuming a lot here, one that the creature is real, evidence suggest it's all smoke and mirrors, but then what my friends told me is still present like a spike right threw my head, and I can't just blow that off either. If I see one, then odds are.....if I'm armed, I'll take the shot. However, I'm just as liable to set some traps of my own design in an effort to catch a Biggy.

Hellfire, the video of trying to retrain it for delivery to a scientific facility alone would be worth the effort. It might be funnier than any movie comedy routine.

#70    Dragon Lover 21

Dragon Lover 21

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:10 PM

Just shoot the thing for the sake of the species as a whole. Putting it on the map will force the feds to protect it, and might get experts who could catch a live one to start hunting. Killing one to protect the entire species cancels the karma factor in my opinion. It's cold and cruel but would save them.

The world isn't black and white or even shades of grey, it's in color. Life is happy, sad, angry, exciting, boring, things change, things stay the same, and that's just how this perfectly imperfect world works.

(This is something I made up)

#71    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:40 PM

View PostDragon Lover 21, on 27 June 2013 - 09:10 PM, said:

Just shoot the thing for the sake of the species as a whole. Putting it on the map will force the feds to protect it, and might get experts who could catch a live one to start hunting. Killing one to protect the entire species cancels the karma factor in my opinion. It's cold and cruel but would save them.

I like your signature, Dragon Lover, how true!

#72    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,354 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:58 PM

View PostDragon Lover 21, on 27 June 2013 - 09:10 PM, said:

Why would the Feds need to put something on the protection list if it has never been found dead or alive, or even fossils?

I think they are and will do just fine without being on an endangered species list......They seem pretty damn safe to me.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#73    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:39 AM

That's a simplistic way to look at it and the most likely way I'd deal with it. However I think it would be prudent to consider some alternative possibilities. One of the great things about a place like this is we can share different ideas, no one person can think of everything and my time spent in engineering has taught me the value of having people with whom I can get other perspectives from. You never know who might see the one thing you missed.

#74    Levergunner

Levergunner

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:53 PM

I'd personally ditch the tazer thing entirely. One of the many problems is range. Tazers are usually used at ranges of about 20 feet, and maybe 10 seconds worth of juice. Getting that close to a creature this elusive would be rather challenging. Its also safe to assume it can outpace most people carrying gear and a shotgun over uneven ground, partly out of virtue of its longer stride.
I'm also not a fan of tranquilizer. Granted, I'm by no means an expert on the stuff, but I do know you have to get proper dosages made for specific animals based on size, weight, and metabolism. Not enough and it'll keep going, or just be a bit drowsy. Too much and it has the huge risk of having its heart stop. Very small margin for error.

But to contribute something constructive, if one did endeavor to try and catch something like Bigfoot, I'd go for trapping rather than actively running one down. First you'd need something strong enough to withstand several hundred pounds of angry animal, tampering fingers, and subtle enough to not be recognized as a trap. Not easy stuff. Best bet for that would be a cage setup, heavy welding with proper steel. But that is hard to conceal, so perhaps in a deep bush thicket. Or that's what I'd do. Although I admit I'm not terribly familiar with various mechanisms that would close such a cage, so you could go with anything from a pressure plate to a tripwire.
Accessibility is important too. If life is kind and you happen to get something inside, four men with poles probably isn't going to cut it. You'll need to bring a truck and trailer to load the whole thing onto.
To increase chances dramatically, it'd be good to have more than one trap. Perhaps 6 spread over multiple miles of territory. That'd be pricey though. And you'd have to cover a lot of territory to check them all.
I'd also be hairy about the closing mechanisms. I've heard of quite a few animals figuring out how to undo latches and the like. Parrots are well known for this from what I've heard.
Bait to prompt wildlife in depends on a lot. Slightly rank meat would certainly catch on the wind and attract carnivores and omnivores, but depending on individual preference, rank meat might be repulsive. Other foods such as fruits might work, but there's no real way to tell what particular diet something like this prefers. Well, not with any positive certainty.
Also gotta factor in other hungry animals coming in for a snack as well.

I recall hearing about someone else setting up this cage idea, with mixed results. I fondly recall it catching a black bear and a hobo. Hopefully not at the same time, heh.

Just some of my own disjointed thoughts on the matter. Feel free to disagree with me, as that provokes thought. :)

#75    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:03 PM

They know to avoid small camouflaged cameras so avoiding large traps may also be in their repertoire.
I'd just poison their Tupperware meal. Take the chance of either rendering them helpless enough to capture or even killing one, for science.
But then again, if they managed to stagger, poisoned,  back into the bush, good luck finding it again. They vanish. Probably whisked away by their buddies like a President by Secret Service after a shooting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users