Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Taking a Bigfoot alive.

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#91    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,651 posts

• "I'm an optimistic, don't know." Onslow

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:19 PM

Wouldn't what material you had to use depend in part on your response time?
Para cord is good up to 550 lbs- the good not cheap stuff.
It all depends, to some extent, on how long BF will be swinging in the breeze or rolling around in a net before you can get to him.
A week? A day? Immediately?
Is part of the plan to weaken him somehow before you attempt to retrieve Bf?

Keep your eyes wide open and don't run!

P.S. Just to be clear, because sometimes I am not. I do not believe...
in the existence of a large previously unknown undiscovered hairy biped roaming North America.
But I like to hear the accounts, read the books, watch the shows, discuss and argue about the phenomenon.

#92    odiesbsc

odiesbsc

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

• Some folks drink from the fountain of knowledge. Some folks just gargle and spit it out.

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:35 PM

View Postkeninsc, on 03 July 2013 - 08:22 PM, said:

What I was actually trying to do was get some input from everyone here, we do have a good cross section of people from various walks of life, to see if there might be a good idea or two to maybe making a capture rather than resorting to the time honored tradition of the Victorians and simply shot it, stuff it and ship it home.

Also, there is a sort of down side to this. If any of you recall when the "Hobbit" was found, initially science and the scientific community rejected the initial finding as being a fluke or a freak of nature. Some poor creature with a severe birth defect or something to that effect......until they went back and discovered other similar remains. Sadly, shooting one and bringing the body forth may only serve to require others to be shot in order to prove existence. However, if you could trap them live, study them, then the pressure would be on them to release them back into the wild.

I don't know, sometimes I think I over think the deeper moral questions a bit too much.

Ken, I don't know if you were around when I shared my bigfoot encounter or not. I had a mama and young one in my scope but couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger. There were hundreds of things going through my mind at that time. Even now when I think about it, I think all the coulda, woulda, shoulda, I think I made the best decision at that time.

Odie    :gun:

As you slide down the water slide of life, may none of your swimming suits give you a permanent wedgie.

~Ancient Polynesian Greeting~

If the teacher has no DNA testing apperatus, you're probably safe blaming the booger you wiped on her computer screen on someone else.

~American Defense Lawyers' Ethics Training Book for Children~

#93    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:50 PM

View Postodiesbsc, on 04 July 2013 - 06:35 PM, said:

Ken, I don't know if you were around when I shared my bigfoot encounter or not. I had a mama and young one in my scope but couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger. There were hundreds of things going through my mind at that time. Even now when I think about it, I think all the coulda, woulda, shoulda, I think I made the best decision at that time.

Odie :gun:

I don't think I was, if you have a link to the topic I would like to read it. Fact is, none of us know how we will react in any given situation until we are in that situation. One of my friends who encountered one had the critter dead in his sights at close range and couldn't take the shot because it hadn't seen him and it posed no threat to him.......and he said it looked too human to simply drop him without cause. However, he gave up hunting and going into the woods the rest of his life after the experience.

I wouldn't worry or second guess yourself, you made the call you made based on what was happening at the time. You do have to live with that choice, but all the second guessing does is eats at you little by little. You did what you did, so just let it go.

#94    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:52 PM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 04 July 2013 - 06:19 PM, said:

Wouldn't what material you had to use depend in part on your response time?
Para cord is good up to 550 lbs- the good not cheap stuff.
It all depends, to some extent, on how long BF will be swinging in the breeze or rolling around in a net before you can get to him.
A week? A day? Immediately?
Is part of the plan to weaken him somehow before you attempt to retrieve Bf?

Trouble is these creature seem to be very wary of changes within their areas. Rigging up a drop net is going to require some long time rigging and is going to leave Turkey tracks behind.

#95    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,651 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:48 AM

View Postkeninsc, on 04 July 2013 - 10:52 PM, said:

Trouble is these creature seem to be very wary of changes within their areas. Rigging up a drop net is going to require some long time rigging and is going to leave Turkey tracks behind.

I was thinking of the PC for other uses too, instead of cable or whatever for your snare (thus my "swinging in the breeze" comment). IF you were to respond quickly after "catching" the beast.

I would assume long before setting up any capturing device you would have a pretty good idea of where to set it up and thus have had multiple sightings and possibly know what size bf you might be dealing with?

Edited by QuiteContrary, 05 July 2013 - 12:48 AM.

in the existence of a large previously unknown undiscovered hairy biped roaming North America.
But I like to hear the accounts, read the books, watch the shows, discuss and argue about the phenomenon.

#96    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:24 AM

I might, but as it stands now I'm just sort of speculating. However, if a Bigfoot is really as powerful as they are described to be then I think they'd simply chew threw paracord like it was simple thread, a snare I think might be better. A) It's lighter and easier to carry into the field. B) Setting it up would really not require too much modification to the area. C) The braided cable is flexible and would resist efforts to chew threw it better.

As far as scouting them out goes, I'll have to wait until I've done that to be able to speak to that point.

Oh? Happy 4th.

Edited by keninsc, 05 July 2013 - 01:24 AM.

#97    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,651 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:09 AM

View Postkeninsc, on 05 July 2013 - 01:24 AM, said:

Oh? Happy 4th.

You too. The world is exploding outside my window right now.

#98    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,651 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:17 AM

View Postkeninsc, on 05 July 2013 - 01:24 AM, said:

I might, but as it stands now I'm just sort of speculating. However, if a Bigfoot is really as powerful as they are described to be then I think they'd simply chew threw paracord like it was simple thread, a snare I think might be better. A) It's lighter and easier to carry into the field. B) Setting it up would really not require too much modification to the area. C) The braided cable is flexible and would resist efforts to chew threw it better.

As far as scouting them out goes, I'll have to wait until I've done that to be able to speak to that point.

I understand. But it could sway your tactics considerably. Bf is described as a beast and yet is also described as shorter and leaner too. With a  more human-like physique, except for the hairiness.

I figure if you research sightings to set up in the best possible area, maybe the smaller ones would be the ideal ones to try to capture. And much less of a quandary as to how to go about doing it.
Just more speculative considerations to stir into the pot. :)

Holy kaboom, Batman! They're setting off the big dogs behind me and I just jumped outa my chair! No firework rules where I live, anything goes, anywhere, by anyone. :unsure:
Now we'll have a rash of runaway dogs.

Edited by QuiteContrary, 05 July 2013 - 02:21 AM.

#99    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:43 AM

This is one of those catch 22 things, in order, capture a Bigfoot you have to Understand their patterns and behaviours.....and strictly speaking, I don't know them that well. Odds are any encounter I might have will be sudden, unexpected and will not allow time or very possibly, opportunity to set up a large trap. The main purpose I posted this up is to get ideas from some of the you here, sort of a brain storming session on thins like how to and of course the deeper moral implications of it. So, I'm pretty Sure that shooting the citter would be the way I'd wind up just shooting the critter

#100    Dr. Zodiac

Dr. Zodiac

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 8 posts

• Hell of a mind reader I can't even read my own...

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:07 AM

The next question would be.... How are you going to find one? If people have been looking for years and the best we have is a hoary Patterson video, you must be a better tracker then most. Where does one start?

#101    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:55 AM

Actually, that's the first and most important question. Everything else is just so much water under the bridge.

#102    Earl.Of.Trumps

Earl.Of.Trumps

Big C Survivor

• 2,673 posts

• One of the beginnings of human emancipation is the ability to know when authority needs to be corrected | Hitchens, adapted

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:17 PM

Ken,,

What would you do if you did taser the BF and as you got close to him to chain him he suddenly disappeared - as in *poof*?

Would you tell anyone? :-*

I don't think I would. I'd just try to make a better mouse trap. maybe.... :blush:

"If you want to apologize to Jews for WWII, give them some of your land, not some of ours"

~ Mahmoud Ahmadinejad~

"It is easier to fool somebody than it is to convince them they've been fooled"   ~Mark Twain~

#103    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:07 AM

I think the first thing I'd do is go change my pants and take a shower because I'd very likely have crapped all over myself. And if this did happen, then I'd have no issue tell it. The truth is the truth and I don't have trouble with it.

#104    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,651 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:25 AM

View Postkeninsc, on 12 July 2013 - 04:07 AM, said:

I think the first thing I'd do is go change my pants and take a shower because I'd very likely have crapped all over myself. And if this did happen, then I'd have no issue tell it. The truth is the truth and I don't have trouble with it.

However it is done, I would hope whomever would have one heck of a wildlife cameraperson for science sake to document the whole capture.
Even if it did escape, some clear lengthy footage by a professional would be almost as much of an accomplishment as catching one.
No crypto photographers, please. Check out his or her portfolio first. If her deer images look like she was convulsing at the time, find someone else! :P

Edited by QuiteContrary, 12 July 2013 - 04:27 AM.

#105    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:21 AM

Naaaw, too many people required. Although, I was thinking that a good thing to have would be a POV cam like the police often carry. Mount it to my hat and record everything that happens while I'm out. They're small and light weight and can record up to sixteen hours.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users