Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The benefits of studying History

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#31    Ealdwita

Ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 5,172 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:50 PM

View PostCrimsonKing, on 28 January 2013 - 04:18 PM, said:

One of the biggest deity like characters built up in this country is abe lincoln,dont get me wrong he was a decent president just not what they portray him as.

As clearly demonstrated in Spielberg's latest fairy story, sorry, film!

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#32    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Common Sense Aficionado

• 2,208 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:47 PM

Agreed ealdwita,a few years back some old writings of his were found and the mainstream media and the "History Peddlers" were outraged that the truth was getting out about him.I remember they where having a huge argument about if the general public should be allowed to read it or not lol.I already knew the truth about him from old books and talking to my great grandparents as a child about historical topics.

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#33    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:53 PM

Im focusing my reading on the time period 1774-1775. The 2 years before the Revolutionary War. Its a goldmine of whats going wrong today and how they saw to rebel against it.

And extremely educational as well.

#34    Ealdwita

Ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 5,172 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

View PostCrimsonKing, on 28 January 2013 - 08:47 PM, said:

Agreed ealdwita,a few years back some old writings of his were found and the mainstream media and the "History Peddlers" were outraged that the truth was getting out about him.I remember they where having a huge argument about if the general public should be allowed to read it or not lol.I already knew the truth about him from old books and talking to my great grandparents as a child about historical topics.

From what I understand, the film also completely misrepresents the causes (and after-effects) of the American Civil War. (I'll admit, I haven't yet seeen the film, but I intend to do so)

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!

#35    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Common Sense Aficionado

• 2,208 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:04 PM

View Postealdwita, on 28 January 2013 - 08:59 PM, said:

From what I understand, the film also completely misrepresents the causes (and after-effects) of the American Civil War. (I'll admit, I haven't yet seeen the film, but I intend to do so)

I havnt seen it yet either dont really need to,seeing how hollywood has gushed and raved about it i already know its not portrayed accurately.

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#36    Ealdwita

Ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 5,172 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:04 PM

View PostAsteroidX, on 28 January 2013 - 08:53 PM, said:

Im focusing my reading on the time period 1774-1775. The 2 years before the Revolutionary War. Its a goldmine of whats going wrong today and how they saw to rebel against it.

And extremely educational as well.

I have a paper I wrote in my files about the British side of the War (military & political), so if there's anything I can help you with in that respect, don't hesitate to ask.

Edited by ealdwita, 28 January 2013 - 09:05 PM.

#37    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,964 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:01 AM

Abraham Lincoln is a figure respected and taught about around the world.  He was intelligent, principled, a fabulous wordsmith, incorruptible, loyal.

It is not possible, except maybe in graduate school for students becoming Lincoln scholars, to go into every known detail, and, besides, I don't see anything questionable about him even in the details I know of.

So as a choice of someone to use as a model for students to emulate, he seems great.  It is important that students learn to assess figures within their context -- to not judge people outside their culture and time -- and to assess achievements as well as failures, and learn from both.

#38    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Common Sense Aficionado

• 2,208 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:08 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 31 January 2013 - 06:01 AM, said:

Abraham Lincoln is a figure respected and taught about around the world.  He was intelligent, principled, a fabulous wordsmith, incorruptible, loyal.

It is not possible, except maybe in graduate school for students becoming Lincoln scholars, to go into every known detail, and, besides, I don't see anything questionable about him even in the details I know of.

So as a choice of someone to use as a model for students to emulate, he seems great.  It is important that students learn to assess figures within their context -- to not judge people outside their culture and time -- and to assess achievements as well as failures, and learn from both.

LOL frank no offense  but here in high schools he is preached about like the 2nd coming of christians jesus,like i said he was a decent pres but nowhere near what he has been preached to be.His ideas have been dramatized into some kind of love story that they were not.The truth can be found just have to dig deep.

#39    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,964 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:32 AM

Deification of any figure is of course silly, but I still think Lincoln is a good figure for people around the world to emulate and be taught about.  Don't get carried away with the fact that he was human and look at his good qualities.

#40    Norbert the Incredible

Norbert the Incredible

They knew too much about flying saucers!

• 27,195 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:28 AM

I think it's similar with Churchill; some of his opinions regarding the Empire and the way to keep the natives under control were the kind of thing that would have any Politician today hounded out of office, but they were typical of people of his political outlook of his time. And he was hardly a military genius; all too many of the schemes that were his idea (such as the Dardanelles campaign) were fiascos, but none of that alters the fact that he kept Britain above water as the only remaining resistance to the nazis for long enough for Hitler to begin his long process of suicide by invading Russia.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#41    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,964 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:36 AM

What's more, Churchill recognized the Nazis for what they were early on.

#42    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:35 PM

History is mother of knowledge.
It helps if you want to study and do scientific work in economy.

But to me, world was less evil place when I didnt know none of history. Its a race between madmen and educated men.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#43    MiskatonicGrad

MiskatonicGrad

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

• "the natural progress of things is liberty to yield and goverment to gain ground." Thomas Jefferson

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:09 AM

History is important for showing the folly of man. but unfortunetly it too (like most other sciences) has been usurped by the evolution crowd taking away most of it's usefulness. If you really study history with an opened non-agenda mind it will show you we as people (as in the way we act, think, what we hold important) haven't changed to any great degree. sure we have improved our quality of living in some parts of the world but there are people still living in mud huts. IMHO when you start thinking we as a race are more "evolved" then our ancestors you do nothing short of putting shackles on your own mind. look at the history of my country (US) just in the short time we have been here we have went from looking up to the founding fathers as the most enlightened minds walking the planet that came up with system of goverment that was the standard of the world too viewing them as a bunch of racist, bigoted, slave owning buffons that plagerized what the greeks did thousands of years ago. something I preach to my son is people are people no matter what age we are talking about. If you brought a parent from ancient egypt to present day and looked at them and said "teenagers" he or she would look right back at you and say "Don't even get me started".

"Were we directed from Washington when to sow, and when to reap, we should soon want bread" --Thomas Jefferson(1821)

"No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in session"--Mark Twain(1866)

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." --Thomas Jefferson(1800)

#44    Wyrdlight

Wyrdlight

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:14 PM

From an education/skills perpective.

A high level history education will feature a very large ammount of reasarch, planning and writing as well a good ammount of presentation making and debating.

All of those provide skills which are invaluble in all sorts of careers from marketing to PR and general admin, market research.

Very very very few degrees tie directly to any one career or another.

#45    Norbert the Incredible

Norbert the Incredible

They knew too much about flying saucers!

• 27,195 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:25 PM

Another benefit of studying History is that, as in the case of George Gideon Oliver Osborne,[1] MP (born Gideon Oliver Osborne, 23 May 1971)[2] a British Conservative politician, the Chancellor of the Exchequer and Second Lord of the Treasury of the United Kingdom, it can, it seems, get you into perhaps the second most important job in Government in the land, without needing any qualifications or experience at all in the field of Economics. He was given a demyship to Magdalen College, University of Oxford[2] where he received a 2:1 bachelor's degree in Modern History.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users