Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The benefits of studying History

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#46    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,075 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:17 PM

Learning about the past helps us better understand the present ?

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#47    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:23 PM

View PostCrimsonKing, on 31 January 2013 - 06:08 AM, said:

LOL frank no offense  but here in high schools he is preached about like the 2nd coming of christians jesus,like i said he was a decent pres but nowhere near what he has been preached to be.His ideas have been dramatized into some kind of love story that they were not.The truth can be found just have to dig deep.

"I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races — that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race."   - Abraham Lincoln

http://www.nps.gov/l...ure/debate4.htm

Had he not been assassinated, he would have likely proposed legislation to deport Negroes to Africa. The new Lincoln film, which I watched, is just so much propaganda.

#48    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:15 PM

Perhaps my last post was too negative. So I offer up a different movie recently released. Amazing Grace, the story of William Wilberforce and his fight and victory to abolish the slave trade 60 years before Lincoln. After that he went on to co-found the world's first animal welfare organization, the RSPCA and championed many other social reform legislation. Wilberforce was a genuine humanitarian and a real political hero, in my books at least.

#49    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Non gender specific

• 25,673 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:47 PM

Another useful thing about studying History, perhaps, it gives one a sense of perspective when considering historical figures who people usually automatically eulogise, or who have very strong bands of supporters that do, and helps one look at them and their achievements in some perspective. - see also J. F. Kennedy, N. Mandela, M. Gorbachev, M. Thatcher, R. Reagan ...

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#50    vortex-goliath

vortex-goliath

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:56 PM

View Postredhen, on 12 April 2013 - 10:23 PM, said:

"I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races — that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race."   - Abraham Lincoln

http://www.nps.gov/l...ure/debate4.htm

Had he not been assassinated, he would have likely proposed legislation to deport Negroes to Africa. The new Lincoln film, which I watched, is just so much propaganda.

Historical records can fame or defame us. The written word however one man or another alters it, gives us food for thought and thought is good for human growth and improvement. If the history of man was not studied, how could we emulate or abolish the good and the bad in all of us. If all our deeds are grains of sand that is nothing less than p***ing in the wind, then there is no point to any event or decision we make. History is who we are.

I have a mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.  (Groucho Marx)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users