Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Fish cannot feel pain say scientists

fish pain sport angling

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#61    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,479 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:32 PM

View PostSweetpumper, on 15 January 2013 - 08:53 PM, said:

What the hell?  I've never heard of nor seen that!  Do they slap a band-aid on the puncture wound caused by the hook?

http://www.harrisspo...CFbMbtAod4TcA3w

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#62    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,106 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:33 PM

View PostSky Scanner, on 15 January 2013 - 09:25 PM, said:

Can't speak for others but plenty of Carp fishermen carry all sorts of stuff to sort a fish out - ointments and whatnot for different problems.

That doesn't make sense to me.  Around here, carp are garbage fish.  They sound more like scientist/researchers than fishermen.  Now I'm going to be looking for this every time I go fishing. <_<

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated."
- Hunt for the Skinwalker

"So many people forget that the first country the Nazis invaded was their own." Dr. Abraham Erskine

#63    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,106 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 15 January 2013 - 09:32 PM, said:

First time I've seen that!  Won't be buying one though.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated."
- Hunt for the Skinwalker

"So many people forget that the first country the Nazis invaded was their own." Dr. Abraham Erskine

#64    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 6,479 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:35 PM

View PostSweetpumper, on 15 January 2013 - 09:33 PM, said:

That doesn't make sense to me.  Around here, carp are garbage fish.  They sound more like scientist/researchers than fishermen.  Now I'm going to be looking for this every time I go fishing. <_<
Doesn`t make sense to me either, I am just relaying what my avid angler husband is yelling at me in my left ear. :cry:

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#65    The Sky Scanner

The Sky Scanner

Observer

• 5,374 posts

• The loud ones never last!

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:36 PM

View PostSweetpumper, on 15 January 2013 - 09:33 PM, said:

They are highly sort after prize catch over here, on most carp lakes the regulars know the stock well, their size at the last catch, their feeding habits etc....the fish get better treatment then many of the fellas wives ;)

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science". ~ Edwin Powell Hubble

#66    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 6,479 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:37 PM

View PostSky Scanner, on 15 January 2013 - 09:36 PM, said:

They are highly sort after prize catch over here, on most carp lakes the regulars know the stock well, their size at the last catch, their feeding habits etc....the fish get better treatment then many of the fellas wives ;)
tell me about it! :passifier: :D

#67    White Unicorn

White Unicorn

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:27 AM

View PostPlanB, on 14 January 2013 - 06:54 PM, said:

I've kept fish for a long time, and I can recall a few instances where they seemed to feel pain. Once, I netted a freshwater catfish from my aquarium and one of its barbs got stuck in the net. It was calm until I touched the seemingly tender spot by the barb when I was trying to free it.

Another time, I was nursing a koi fish that had an ulcer. Being pretty tame fish, they'll let you stroke them, or feed them by hand. Some will even let you pick them up out of the water if they're comfortable enough with you. While petting this fish in a nursery tub, I accidentally grazed the ulcer and it had a violent reaction letting me know not to do that.

Whether they feel emotion like Simbi was saying, I'm not sure. They will absolutely demonstrate fear. I know they're happy to see me, but that's because they associate me with food, which at the very least dispells the idea that they have little to no memory recall ability. There's a kit out there that will let you train goldfish to do stunts.

Fish are low on the food chain and don't get  much empathy but I must say I have had many that recognized people for food.

I've kept and even bred fish but usually just as you would a plants not as a "pets", however some stood out over the years.   A catfish danced in it's own way and came to the top and rolled over so I could rub it's belly. A parrotfish recognized me from other  people who fed her because she'd only do a  "flippy dance" and toss rocks  for me so I'd feed her a favorite pellot food and rub her head.  This tells me she actually had a memory to tell me from others and  it could have been because I am the one who also makes the tank clean compared to the others that fed her?  

To say fish don't feel pain because it's a subconscious reaction seems silly.  I think nature is humane and gives them less nerves then us but they'd still feel something.  Makes me think of our sciatic nerve that makes people react unconsciously too, but is still very painful.   Fish probably evolved not to have many nerves because that would inhibit them from rapid escape. But to say just because they don't have as sensitive mouth nerves that they don't feel pain elsewhere doesn't make sense.

As in any scientific study....follow the money ....I'd ask who funded the research???  

We all live off the death of other animals or plants but if we kill for food it should be as humane as possible, that's the one thing that should separate us from the creatures lower on the food chain.  We shouldn't be justifying not having any compassion by saying scientific studies show they don't react the same way as we would!

#68    Yamato

Yamato

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,729 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:23 AM

View Postpallidin, on 14 January 2013 - 02:50 PM, said:

Who cares? Fish are for eating anyway.
:td:

Cows are for eating too.  Who has no interest in killing these creatures humanely knowing that they feel pain, because "they're for eating".   Wow.  Just wow.

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#69    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 3,960 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:40 AM

View PostYamato, on 16 January 2013 - 06:23 AM, said:

:td:

Cows are for eating too.  Who has no interest in killing these creatures humanely knowing that they feel pain, because "they're for eating".   Wow.  Just wow.

Mmmmm.... steak.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#70    Jenny Jane

Jenny Jane

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:43 PM

Foxes definitely feel pain yet people still hunt them for sport... we are a strange species, aren't we?

#71    Inkling

Inkling

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:18 AM

DO fish feel pain??? Is than a Rhetorical question!
any sport where you hunt and kill animals for a sick pleasure, is cruel... but it doesn't stop anyone... so this entire article is kind of a waste of time! haa

#72    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,802 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:25 AM

View PostInkling, on 17 January 2013 - 12:18 AM, said:

any sport where you hunt and kill animals for a sick pleasure, is cruel... but it doesn't stop anyone... so this entire article is kind of a waste of time! haa

Not so. It stops  Hindus, Jains, Buddhsts and all the ethical vegans and vegetarians in the world.

#73    The Unseen

The Unseen

Poltergeist

• 2,774 posts

• Whats out there?

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:06 AM

View PostMrSerendipity, on 15 January 2013 - 04:07 PM, said:

What fish do to each other is perfectly natural. What anglers do to fish is simply idle pleasure - sport!
Wrong again, It is a pleasure to catch fish,but it is more fun to eat them,How you can simply say what anglers do is just for pleasure and sport,Well it is but there are some people who survive by catching fish,I survived for a month on fish that I caught and am here today because I knew how to fish,Your not totally wrong you just forgot to add the part of nessesity,Dang I spelled that wrong,Darn  it,LOL

#74    The Unseen

The Unseen

Poltergeist

• 2,774 posts

• Whats out there?

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:08 AM

View PostInkling, on 17 January 2013 - 12:18 AM, said:

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha,Your funny.

#75    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

My understanding of primitive life (like protozoa) is that they react to negative stimuli by moving away from it. So certainly a more complex vertebrate animal will move away from negative stimuli (and also likely move toward positive stimuli). It is very difficult to quantify the "feelings" of an animal beyond observation, we cannot "get into their skin". Many mammals show emotion, and certainly elephants, primates like apes and various others show a very wide range of emotions, even a few bird species like parrots show obvious emotion. These animals also make a wide range of audible sounds and it is fairly easy to know when they fell pain or discomfort or when they are emotionally stressed. It is more difficult to know if more primitive animals like fish, reptiles and amphibians have the mental capacity to show anything we would recognize as emotions, though you can see what appears to be anger when they are on the defensive. Their ectothermic nature (cold-bloodedness) may play a part in how we perceive their emotions and pain response as well. Most of these animals also are "voiceless" as well (other than a few grunts, clicks, and hisses) so it is not as easy to know a pain response.

There are theories that when an animal is attacked, shock takes over and "numbs" the animal, I don't know if there have been actual studies to support this, or whether this is the human response to an animal attack (like a grizzly) that survivors have reported and they have extrapolated this onto a prey animal attacked by a carnivore. Point is, it's possible that shock lessen any pain they feel upon being caught.

But suppose a fish can fell pain, what then? Do we stop fishing? Call me cynical but I always wonder about the political agenda behind a question like this. We slaughter chickens, cows, hogs. We hunt deer, turkey and other wild game, all of which are more closely related to humans that a fish and likely have a greater capacity to fell pain. Humans are omnivores, we eat both plants and animals. This is true for the vast majority of humanity on the planet though a few cultures are vegetarian and few like the Inuit were (at least at one time) nearly totally carnivorous. So whether a fish can feel pain or not, we as a species will continue to catch fish and eat fish. Pass the mahi-mahi.

Also tagged with fish, pain, sport, angling

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users