Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Will space travel make us better people?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:52 AM

Space, also known as The Final Frontier, has been in our collective dreams and fantasies for decades. Who WOULDN'T want to blast into space, experience zero gravity, or walk on the moon?! But with limited funding to NASA, the day that had been promised to us for years (in addition to flying cars and hover boards), seems no closer now than it did 30 years ago. BUT WAIT! Could private research and funding be the future of galactic exploration? And maybe once we are all able to see the earth from a distance, we'll all gain some much needed perspective. So keep on truckin' Elon Musk, for humanity's sake.

#2    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,407 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:52 AM

I don't see how space travel would make us better people.  People are still going to be the way they are no matter where they are at.  It could save us all though.  Look how over populated the planet is getting and the dwindling natural resources.

#3    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:43 PM

I agree with Hilander, people are people and there may be some awe inspiring moments of initial space travel but amazing as that is I think the effects would eventually wear off, and people would go back to behaving as they did on earth...Regardless of what planet there on

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#4    Drayno

Drayno

Reverend Dudemeister

• 3,682 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:15 AM

Space travel, if any thing, will open up a whole other spectrum of "evils" humanity can commit.

The more options, the more probability of abuse.

"One leader, one people, signifies one master and millions of slaves." - Camus

#5    sslama

sslama

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 98 posts

• Say what you mean and mean what you say....that way I know who you are and what you stand for!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:22 AM

No....Mistakes make us better people.  Great lessons are learned from experience.  I read we are wired to not make the same mistake over and over again.  There is a signal from the brain.

"Every failure brings with it the seed of an equivalent success”

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad."

#6    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:52 AM

I would hope exploring space can make us better as humanity. Im sure if we ever ran into ET out there we would be judged by our actions.

#7    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ, 2222

• 2,449 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:52 AM

I would say yes, space travel can make us better people because it opens you up to seeing that unified perspective of earth from orbit where there'so nations, no borders, just earth...

#8    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,552 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

Nothing else has... I don't know why that would...

As to easing population pressure on Earth - no it wouldn't...  We would need to build many ships capable of transporting TENS OF MILLIONS of people off, in order to make a serious dent in our population...  Current estimates are that about 350,000 babies are born EVERY DAY...

Going to other planets and colonizing them would have these effects upon us:

- Spreading our species out so we would be harder to exterminate (by asteroid, solar flare, etc)
- Open up new sources of raw materials - iron, oil, etc
- Resume the fracturing of the human species, through evolutionary changes to alien environments - currently with
   global travel the human race is (slowly) beginning to merge toward a species "average" - this would stop that by isolating
   pockets of humanity.
- Increase our chances of encountering Non Human intelligent life
- Give us a wider range of potentially beneficial medicinal herbs and minerals
- Expose us to new diseases for which we have no defense... - This one truly scares me, it is the single reason I could see for
   stopping colonization...

#9    sslama

sslama

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 98 posts

• Say what you mean and mean what you say....that way I know who you are and what you stand for!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

It's a cycle.....it's a transformation, triggered by the completion of the Great Cycle.  Our planet just entered into it's next evolutionary phase....a transition of our world into a new era....the galactic era.  I think we will become better people because mankind will unite to solve many of it's problems.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad."

#10    sutemi

sutemi

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:24 AM

Hi Render I think you might like this short film ‘ James May rides a u2 plane’ especially what James  says as he leaves the plane in the last minute although the whole clip is good. Take care

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLLAXKVUhx0  

#11    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,609 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:21 AM

I doubt space travel will make us better. p*** me off and someone will likely and easily cut off air supply to your compartment. Take that!

#12    sslama

sslama

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

As humans, our circle of who we give moral consideration to has widened….first the tribe to the nation, then race or ethnic group, then to all humans and finally our animals.  I think that’s moral progress but there will always be the bad guy.   On the whole we are moving in a positive direction.

The media is so hugely made up of bad news and I think our brains are hard-wired to pick up on that and not notice the good.   (If it bleeds, it leads).  But if you stand back a bit from all that bad news you can see a trend that is moving in a wonderful direction.  So the future is actually better than you think.

#13    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,097 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

It could.

Currently we only allow highly disciplined and skillful people into space. If this trend continued and we colonized space with only people qualified to be out there, I could see us advancing as a much stronger race in space at least.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users