Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

A World War Wild Man

almas almasty

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 43,382 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

Across what used to be Soviet Central Asia, as far west as what are parts of Europe, and as far east as Mongolia, reports have long proliferated of hairy creatures known as Almas or Almasty that seem to be far more akin to men than they do apes; although they reputedly demonstrate clear and undeniable characteristics of both.

Opinion is acutely divided upon what these beasts are, or may be. It is deeply tempting to theorize that they may be surviving pockets of our closest relative - the Neanderthals - who supposedly died out in the later part of the Pleistocene epoch, more familiarly known as the Ice Age.

http://www.mania.com...cle_136558.html

Posted Image

#2    wolfknight

wolfknight

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

• There is nothing to Fear, but fear itself

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

Wow is a awesome story. Could have been anything but not a Neandertal. Would had be impossible for them to live this long. Inbreeding would have wiped then out.

#3    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,050 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

Aren't Almas in the same category as Bigfoot and the Yeti? As in, a cryptid that hasn't been proven? So why the speculation on what it could be when there's barely (to no) proof of them?

Posted Image

~MEH~

#4    PersonFromPorlock

PersonFromPorlock

Pooseycat

• 1,769 posts

• Few things do more harm than the belief that life should be Dramatic.

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

I suspect that charging an armed group of Russians in 1944 would have been far more likely to produce a dead critter than panicked Russians.

#5    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,522 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:01 PM

View PostHasina, on 14 January 2013 - 01:53 PM, said:

Aren't Almas in the same category as Bigfoot and the Yeti? As in, a cryptid that hasn't been proven? So why the speculation on what it could be when there's barely (to no) proof of them?

That is why this thread is in this section of the Forum...

Alma's have been reported for a thousand years (and more) across Russia and Mongolia.

#6    Q-C

Q-C

BugWhisperer

• 5,533 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:37 PM

Another similar, plus more Alma info

"In 1925, as Russian Communists fought to purge the last "White Russians" from the land, General Mikhail Topil'skiy thought he had cornered a faction of rebels in a virtually uninhabited section of the rugged Pamir Mountains. The Reds approached a cave where they believed the Whites were holed up. Suddenly, there was a screech and a commotion from within the cave and a hairy figure ran out, either in a panic or a rage. The soldiers instantly shot the strange figure dead.

Topil'skiy studied the body of the odd individual and was shocked to discover that it was not even a man, much less a rebel soldier. The alma was 5 and a half feet tall and covered with greyish-brown hair except for the face, hands and feet. Its skin was dark and rough and its chest was massively built. As far as facial features went, the alma had a bony brow ridge, a sloping forehead, and a flat, puggish nose. The General was struck just as much by the wildman's humanity as his apishness."

http://open.salon.co...owmen_of_russia

Edited by QuiteContrary, 14 January 2013 - 09:37 PM.

Bigfoot is in the eye of the beholder

Scottish Scientists Only!

#7    skookum

skookum

Psychic Spy

• 1,800 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:13 PM

Didn't Stalin's scientists try to cross breed humans with Ape's to try to build a super soldier?

http://www.ufodigest...persoldier.html

Posted Image

#8    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:21 AM

View Postkeithisco, on 14 January 2013 - 09:01 PM, said:

That is why this thread is in this section of the Forum...

Alma's have been reported for a thousand years (and more) across Russia and Mongolia.

Many, many cryptids have been reported many thousands of times all over the globe - yet no irrefutable evidence for ANY of their existences has ever surfaced.  I agree your post belongs in this section and second the analysis that its more than likely make believe regardless of who reports them or how many times.

#9    wimfloppp

wimfloppp

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

Hope they never find them or if they do that will be another species wiped out.

#10    Plasmagician

Plasmagician

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

Inbreeding doesn't necessarily result in extinction. Look at the Hutterites.

#11    pallidin

pallidin

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,099 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

View PostPlasmagician, on 15 January 2013 - 03:25 PM, said:

Inbreeding doesn't necessarily result in extinction. Look at the Hutterites.

Welcome to UM !!! :yes:

Indeed, without some form of "in-breeding" the begining human species could not have propagated, in my mind.

Of course, I have ZERO proof of this.

#12    bigjonalien

bigjonalien

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:45 PM

well, Neanderthal man was hiding underground while we breed with god's children, so it makes sence that they are still alive, i expect a weird cult involved in protecting them if not breeding with them, thier gene must be strong to persevere.

#13    bigjonalien

bigjonalien

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:48 PM

well, Neanderthal man was hiding underground while we breed with god's children, so it makes sence that they are still alive, i expect a weird cult involved in protecting them if not breeding with them, thier gene must be strong to persevere.

#14    Ad hoc

Ad hoc

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 158 posts

• A man's worth is no greater than his ambitions.

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:51 AM

View Postorangepeaceful79, on 15 January 2013 - 03:21 AM, said:

Many, many cryptids have been reported many thousands of times all over the globe - yet no irrefutable evidence for ANY of their existences has ever surfaced.  I agree your post belongs in this section and second the analysis that its more than likely make believe regardless of who reports them or how many times.
The thing that I want to know is how observed these areas are. Because I'm split-

On the one hand I can't get my head around the idea that a whole population of hominids could go undetected for so long in this modern world of air and satellite surveillance...
because unless they are intelligent they'd come up against humans when resources are sparse, as other wild animals do. But if they ARE intelligent enough to understand humans, well then you'd expect to see a bunch of other signs of their existence- tools, shelters, whatever.

But on the other hand I think, is anyone actually paying the kind of attention to these remote areas that would alert the general populace to a small population of shy hominids? Unless someone is specifically going over satellite data or aerial photography looking for these small signs, then it might be just like the gorilla again- the gorilla was a 'huge hairy ape man' myth for centuries in the west and it wasn't until the 20th century that someone 'proved' it was true.

On balance though, my impression is that the amount of human activity over the last 100 years in even remote places would probably have revealed a population like that. With the gorilla, all it took was for explorers to spend some time in the jungle and they were found - the gorilla was 'discovered' at the point someone decided to bring back a sample.

Edited by ad hoc, 16 January 2013 - 01:28 AM.

#15    Ashotep

Ashotep

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,993 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:58 AM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 14 January 2013 - 09:37 PM, said:

Another similar, plus more Alma info

"In 1925, as Russian Communists fought to purge the last "White Russians" from the land, General Mikhail Topil'skiy thought he had cornered a faction of rebels in a virtually uninhabited section of the rugged Pamir Mountains. The Reds approached a cave where they believed the Whites were holed up. Suddenly, there was a screech and a commotion from within the cave and a hairy figure ran out, either in a panic or a rage. The soldiers instantly shot the strange figure dead.

Topil'skiy studied the body of the odd individual and was shocked to discover that it was not even a man, much less a rebel soldier. The alma was 5 and a half feet tall and covered with greyish-brown hair except for the face, hands and feet. Its skin was dark and rough and its chest was massively built. As far as facial features went, the alma had a bony brow ridge, a sloping forehead, and a flat, puggish nose. The General was struck just as much by the wildman's humanity as his apishness."

http://open.salon.co...owmen_of_russia
I've heard this story before and the creature sounded like an Neanderthal to me.  I wonder if there could be some around.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users