Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

R.I.P. MID

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#91    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:05 PM

View PostMID, on 04 February 2013 - 08:37 PM, said:

This UM group meant alot to him and I think he would be pleased to see it continue in the same fashion. If he's inspired at least one person to learn, research and come to succinct, well thought out ideas and conclusions than he would be very happy indeed. It seems to me from reading some of your posts, perhaps that has been accomplished.

Hi Lori!

Its hard to find smart words after such a emotinal post. Also Im not good at speeches and my English isnt first language so I will make it short. I picked up something (above) from your post.
MID meant to UM a lot. Atleast for me. I adored reading him. I still go back and read his posts. Be sure that he inspired me to dig further for truth.
He influence on me a lot. I remember when I admit my ignorance about astronomy in the thread of same name (here it is)
http://www.unexplain...howtopic=212997
he was there to teach me with such patience, passion and understanding. He wanted to spread knowledge and to teach. And he knew how to do it.
He will be remebered by me as my astronomy teacher for sure.
Thats all I wanted to tell you.

Please, forgive me because of my English.

L.

Edited by the L, 04 February 2013 - 09:05 PM.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#92    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,169 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:45 PM

POPULAR

That MID was a private man was obvious to me very early on. He told me that he didn't like to look back in life but preferred to look forward.

He did tell me that he could fly before he could drive, but I would never have guessed about the martial arts.

A few years ago I would never have believed that the loss of a man that I never met and about whom I knew so little could leave a hole in my life, but it has.

I consider myself lucky that at 47 I have lost very few friends, but I include Mike amongst them. My life was enriched by the conversations we had, sitting an ocean away, watching a shuttle launch. I knew that we were holding our breath at the same time and that we were feeling the same sense of relief when the SRBs separated. We shared the same sense of elation when the crew reached orbit and when they returned home.

I will remember Mike every time I watch a launch. I remember him every time I make a post in the space section. I also wonder, "what would MID have thought".

I miss you my friend.

Lori, thank you for your post. I hope that you and your family are coping well.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf, 04 February 2013 - 09:46 PM.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#93    ChrLzs

ChrLzs

Just a contributor..

• 3,245 posts

• I only floccinaucinihilipilificate
    when it IS worthless...

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:33 PM

Lori, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for that wonderful post.  It is a fitting addition to this tribute to a wonderful man who has obviously changed many lives for the better just by his posts here, let alone his 'real' life.

As an aside, there are very few folks I respect more than Neil Armstrong - talented, unassuming, gentle but tough when necessary, straight talking, and someone who didn't let fame affect him.  I too shed tears on his passing also.  And I can't help but picture MID as Neil - in my mind he is very much like him.

Thank you Lori, and thank you MID.

All my posts about Apollo are dedicated to the memory of MID - who knew, lived and was an integral part of, Apollo.

"Like the JFK assassination conspiracy theories, the UFO issue probably will not go away soon, no matter what the CIA does or says. The belief that we are not alone in the universe is too emotionally appealing and the distrust of our government is too pervasive to make the issue amenable to traditional scientific studies or rational explanation and evidence." - Gerald K Haines

#94    badeskov

badeskov

Forum Divinity

• 11,360 posts

• Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please - Mark Twain

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:06 AM

Dear Lori,

Please allow me as well to show my appreciation for your wonderful post. While it was clear to any regular here at UM that frequented the same parts of the forum as MID did how much he appreciated this forum, it was very heartwarming to hear it from you as well with the added nuances the rest of us could only get a remote feel for from behind our monitors and keyboards. To echo Chrlz, it is a fitting tribute to a man that touched many hearts and minds here at UM, which I am sure is dwarfed by what he accomplished throughout his full life.

MID's knowledge and experience was second to none and mixed with his charm and humor he had the perfect recipe for sharing his knowledge. And SAL was only one of his great moments, there are too many to list let alone begin to count. I obviously do not know how many of MID's posts you have read here at UM, but I am sure he has told you a lot from here and while I cannot even begin to pretend to know your loss, I would say that if you need a tear in your eye and a smile on your face at the same time, I would suggest to try and look up some of his posts here. This is one such post and from your description I can just imagine him with all his tools (pocket calculator, notepad, face deep in thought and subsequently laughing heartily) while composing it.

Rest in peace MID, I miss you my friend!

Yours truly,
Badeskov

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!! What a ride!". Said to to Dean Karnazes by a running buddy.

#95    Trinitrotoluene

Trinitrotoluene

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:40 PM

The world has lost a truly great man. I had many, many conversations with MID on here both in the forums and privately. I don't think I have ever met a man as informed about the space program, physics and almost certainly the Apollo program. He had a desire to teach and would often take great lengths of time explaining things to those who would listen in such a way that I never saw him get angry or pushy - not even once.

He was influential and helped massively with my astrophysics degree work, and inspired me to push forward in achieving it. I will miss him :(

Edited by Trinitrotoluene, 05 February 2013 - 10:42 PM.

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

#96    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,757 posts

• Being skeptical of the paranormal is a good thing.

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:42 PM

Its really amazing when you think about it.

Here I am in the northern parts of Sweden, talking about astronomy and spaceflight with my two kids (boys 7 and 5),... much of it comes directly from what MID taught me over the years. They love it, cant get enough of it. They come home from school with books about the solar system, exploration of the planets, and a ton of questions.

So I would say that absolutely MID was an inspiration to those who had the privilege,... more than he possibly could have known.

For me, the moon is and will always be a reminder of the great men and women that makes the impossible seem possible. Your MID is one of them.

Thank you so much for posting, Lori.

I still await the compelling Exhibit A.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

#97    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,087 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:46 PM

RIP.

In my time here, I saw him was a great source of sanity, reason and deep knowledge amongst the insanity that passes for some of the NASA conspiracy threads here.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#98    Hugh

Hugh

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts

• We are much more than we seem to be. :)

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:31 AM

I keep thinking about MID...

I've gone over our last messages to each other many times, and feel a loss he is not there.

I don't think he'd mind if I shared our last conversation in November 2011.

How are you my friend?

I'm curious if you've seen my thread about the "One small step (longer pause)" quote in the Space section of the forum.

What's your recollection of that if I may ask?

Thanks!

Hugh

Hi Hugh!
You know, it's funny, but some things , simply by suggestion, replay in one's head. One of the greatest days of my life, and I can hear the exact cadence, and the COMM static in my head! I can even feel the heat of a hot summer day, and the sweat on my brow.

As to the gap you speak of...it was there Hugh, but it wasn't as long as 10 seconds. I recalled 3 seconds at most, but I have an original recording...

3.2 seconds

Thanks for the reply MID!

It must have been incredible to have been a part of that whole experience, and to have all the hard work that everyone did pay off with such a success!

Take care my friend, and thanks again.

Hugh

You're welcome, Hugh!
:tu:

There he was, always ready and happy to help, with the correct facts in hand and a smile.

I now treasure my original recording I have, of him.

Rest in peace my friend.

#99    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,406 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:30 PM

"Late last night I heard the screen door slam.

A big yellow taxi came and took away my old man.

Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone..."

My apologies to Joni Mitchell...but this is kind of how I feel. :cry:

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#100    Mike D boy

Mike D boy

...from the Desert...

• 2,401 posts

• he's Native and Indio-geneous to the Americas.

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

May you be in a better place, MID. I remember some of your posts on a number of topics I skimmed through...and may your posts on UM be there forever. It's saddening to lose another member of the UM forum not long after Karlis passed on. Reminders for us to live our lifes to the fullest.

:innocent: The Truth is Out There - the X Files. :alien:

#101    DingoLingo

DingoLingo

Psychic Spy

• 1,103 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:05 AM

They say that the greatest thing a person can leave behind.. is a legacy of memories.. some of these for people will fade as the person is forgotten in time.. most of us will be lucky to be remembered as stories to our great grand children..

Then there are others.. others who do things.. who play a part in great inspirations.. Mid was fortunate enough to play one of those parts.. While we were watching the TV.. seeing the pictures of ground control during one of the greatest events of mankind.. He was there.. he was living it.. and a part of it..

The one thing that I admired the most about Mid.. is he was willing to share his knowledge.. he did not care who you were.. what you believed.. he would still share it ..

Mid has left behind a great legacy.. his name will forever be on the rolls of NASA and space exploration.. our childrens children will be able to read of mans first steps into space and see his name.. along with the others who got us there.. the men behind the scene..

But he has also left a legacy of wisdom.. right here.. in this forum.. though the internet will evolve.. this wisdom.. will still be able to be found..

I would have liked to have met Mid.. those who knew him in life.. I do envy you of that..

#102    matthecool

matthecool

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:26 PM

Sorry to see the guy go :(

#103    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,661 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:41 AM

View PostDingoLingo, on 24 February 2013 - 10:05 AM, said:

But he has also left a legacy of wisdom.. right here.. in this forum.. though the internet will evolve.. this wisdom.. will still be able to be found..

I think this is great too, that like Plato and Socrates, these discussions will last beyond most of us, backed up on a server somewhere for eternity. In a way that makes all of us that post here immortal..... Even if only as wise, but Anonymus voices in the Dark.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#104    tcgram

tcgram

Government Agent

• 3,448 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:34 PM

So sorry to hear of his passing.  My thoughts and prayers are with his family during this difficult time.   :(

#105    BFB

BFB

Psychic Spy

• 1,308 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:43 AM

R.I.P MID

Will miss all the well writen and well informed convos/arguments we had!!!

"Its not true, before my brain says so" - BFB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users