Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

[Updated] HMV in administration

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,635 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

HMV goes into administration

http://www.guardian....n-full-reaction

From 2011:
The Waterstones book chain became part of the HMV stable in 1998 but was sold off in 2011 as the troubled music chain attempted to get its finances in order.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems the MP3`s have killed the music store. HMV like Virgin, just are not keeping up. yes, Virgin are having problems too.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#2    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,328 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:47 PM

a truly sad day... buit if you do not innovate then you die... RIP... HMV

#3    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 7,635 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

sad day for another group of British workers losing their jobs.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#4    Asadora

Asadora

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:28 PM

It will come to a point to where we will have no choice -but- to only buy from Amazon (only used the this particular name as an example. This statement does not represent my shopping habits), because there will not be any physical stores left.

"From time to time there appear on the face of the earth men of rare and consummate excellence, who dazzle us by their virtue, and whose outstanding qualities shed a stupendous light. Like those extraordinary stars of whose origins we are ignorant, and of whose fate, once they have vanished, we know even less, such men have neither forebears nor descendants: they are the whole of their race."  -- Jean de la Bruyere 1645-1696.

#5    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 7,635 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:42 PM

View PostAsadora, on 15 January 2013 - 10:28 PM, said:

It will come to a point to where we will have no choice -but- to only buy from Amazon (only used the this particular name as an example. This statement does not represent my shopping habits), because there will not be any physical stores left.
i see where you are coming from, but there will always be stores left, the local councils can not do without the rates. if not stores, it will be gambling joints or cheap tat shops, or charity shops, something will always be there.

#6    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:50 PM

View Postkeithisco, on 15 January 2013 - 06:47 PM, said:

Innovate in what way?

They tried selling hardware as well and that didn't work. they couldn't do anything now that the "MP3 age" is truly here. The only people who don't really buy music online or download it buy from supermarkets like Asda and Tesco etc.

The only reason they went down really was because of online stores and download sites, nothing they could do about it.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#7    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:32 PM

View Postkeithisco, on 15 January 2013 - 06:47 PM, said:

I liked going off to HMV on a Saturday morning to buy a couple of DVDs.

Poor management and poor decision making have crashed the Titanic into the iceberg. Idiots!

#8    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:39 PM

View PostCoffey, on 15 January 2013 - 10:50 PM, said:

Innovate in what way?

They tried selling hardware as well and that didn't work. they couldn't do anything now that the "MP3 age" is truly here. The only people who don't really buy music online or download it buy from supermarkets like Asda and Tesco etc.

The only reason they went down really was because of online stores and download sites, nothing they could do about it.

Online retailers are able to undercut HMV because they dont have the expense of running 100s of stores and paying the wages of 1000s of staff. All they have to pay for is a warehouse with a few workers.

HMV isnt going to be the last big name to go. I predict the Dixons Group (Dixons, Currys and PC World) will be gone too before the years out. Marks and Spencers will go too and Tesco are currently looking unsafe. Theres a doom list on the internet with 150 business on it which includes most of our top high-street retailers.

#9    Asadora

Asadora

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:07 AM

View Postfreetoroam, on 15 January 2013 - 10:42 PM, said:

i see where you are coming from, but there will always be stores left, the local councils can not do without the rates. if not stores, it will be gambling joints or cheap tat shops, or charity shops, something will always be there.

Oh, you are right! I always forget about the councils! Yes, they wouldn't be able to do without business rates. And right again on the betting shops, pound stores and charity shops.
Thank you. I feel less worried now!

(I don't forget about my council tax btw. Hard to forget something that drains the life force of one's wallet once a month.)

;)

"From time to time there appear on the face of the earth men of rare and consummate excellence, who dazzle us by their virtue, and whose outstanding qualities shed a stupendous light. Like those extraordinary stars of whose origins we are ignorant, and of whose fate, once they have vanished, we know even less, such men have neither forebears nor descendants: they are the whole of their race."  -- Jean de la Bruyere 1645-1696.

#10    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

• Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:07 AM

View Postfreetoroam, on 15 January 2013 - 06:49 PM, said:

sad day for another group of British workers losing their jobs.
What are your opinions of Remploy workers losing their jobs?

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

#11    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

Virgin music are already filing for bankrupcy in France.. nothing new under the world.  You either adapt like Barnes and Nobles or you go down the drain.  It's a new generation and new technics of retail.  I'm a used book dealer but I will never go brick and mortars.  I get customers from all over the world and kindle is still; no threat to me as most people still enjoy the hard copy pleasure of holding an truly old and valuable book.

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6
It's time for a sixth republic.

#12    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 15 January 2013 - 11:39 PM, said:

Online retailers are able to undercut HMV because they dont have the expense of running 100s of stores and paying the wages of 1000s of staff. All they have to pay for is a warehouse with a few workers.

HMV isnt going to be the last big name to go. I predict the Dixons Group (Dixons, Currys and PC World) will be gone too before the years out. Marks and Spencers will go too and Tesco are currently looking unsafe. Theres a doom list on the internet with 150 business on it which includes most of our top high-street retailers.

Yeah I know this, it was obvious it was coming.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#13    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 7,635 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

View PostCoffey, on 15 January 2013 - 10:50 PM, said:

Innovate in what way?

Absolutely, just like the computers put a lot of people out of work, no more typing pools etc etc etc .

#14    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 7,635 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:02 PM

View PostMedium Brown, on 16 January 2013 - 11:07 AM, said:

What are your opinions of Remploy workers losing their jobs?
Whether disabled or not, its sad when someone loses their job.

"He added all disabled employees affected by the changes will be guaranteed "tailored support" from an £8m package, including a personal case worker, to help them move into mainstream employment."  This is far more than many non disabled people are getting, personally I do not think anyone should be given extra support over the next man when it comes to job loses.....many may disagree with that, but as disable people want to be treated the same as everyone else, and so they should be, then everyone should be offered the same sort of support...if need be.

#15    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

• Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

I see nobody's heard of Remploy.. fair enough...

So let's get to the subject at hand as per HMV.
Tbh I'm a very infrequent customer of this store and it's not because of the latest tunes on somebody's downloaded playlist.
I only visit to check out the latest Prisoner Cell Block H DVD's but that dosn't  mean I totally dislike music.
It's just that I havn't got the devices to reap the benefits of the music and prefer the videos instead.
So in a way I'm not only contributing to putting HMV out of business but I-Tunes are taking a knock-back.
But the teenagers should be shouldering most of the blame because they are the stores main target.
And if the main target is out of the equation then it's just going to go downhill from there on.
However it's not music that gets flogged at HMV but videos,mementos,books and even One Direction calendars.
Tbh I think the DVD buying market is more varied when it comes to a  certain generation.
But old wrinkles like us can't do an Apollo and lift HMV out of adminsteration.
What can I say? You can't take away a teenagers I-Pod away because you know sulky they can be.
There's no easy fix here because the download market has stolen HMV's thunder.

Edited by Medium Brown, 16 January 2013 - 01:21 PM.

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users