Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Horsemeat found in beef

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 5,685 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-21034942

Horse DNA has been found in some beef burgers being sold in UK and Irish supermarkets, the Republic of Ireland's food safety authority has said.
The burgers were on sale in Tesco, Dunnes Stores, Lidl, Aldi and Iceland
A total of 27 products were analysed, with 10 of them containing horse DNA and 23 containing pig DNA.
Horsemeat accounted for approximately 29% of the meat content in one sample from Tesco.
Retailers have said they are now removing all implicated batches of the burgers.

"Likewise, for some religious groups or people who abstain from eating pig meat, the presence of traces of pig DNA is unacceptable."

------------------------------------------------------

Would like to know if the horses are being bred for this purpose?
If the retailers have removed the batches, then it can not be hard to investigate the meat plants they have come from.

As for the religious bit: is this really what people care about!!! If they are not vegetarians and only care because of religious reasons and not for the animals wellfare, then I have absolutely no sympathy at all.

Edited by freetoroam, 15 January 2013 - 07:26 PM.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#2    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 10,340 posts

• Take 3 deep breaths

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:32 PM

Yummy!  And they don't even charge extra!

#3    Jeffertonturner

Jeffertonturner

Hero Squad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

• I may not be the smartest, or the best looking, or the most successful but...what was I saying? I'm depressed.

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

Ewwwwwwww. I think...

~Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while -and do whatever you want all the time -you can miss it.~

#4    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 5,685 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:44 PM

View PostOverSword, on 15 January 2013 - 07:32 PM, said:

Yummy!  And they don't even charge extra!
France have horse meat, at least if they want to sell it here then do it properly and not behind our backs......as usual.
Food source Calories Protein Fat Iron Sodium Cholesterol Game meat, horse, raw 133 21 g 5 g 3.8 mg 53 mg 52 mg Beef, sirloin, raw 140 21 g 7 g 1.7 mg 53 mg
42 mg

it seems horsemeat is actually better for you, its the taboo about eating it here which is why it is not a regular on our shelves, i have no "beef" about people eating horse meat, but I do disagree with misinforming people.
Would also like to know how they are breeding these horses, if the breeders are devious enough to try and con us, I doubt the horses are living the life of Riley while alive.

Edited by freetoroam, 15 January 2013 - 07:45 PM.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#5    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 5,685 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

View PostJeffertonturner, on 15 January 2013 - 07:36 PM, said:

Ewwwwwwww. I think...
Congratulations! is this a first?

:D

#6    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 35,872 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:26 PM

I could not willingly eat horse meat any more than I could eat dog meat. Even though this is normal in some countries, it's not for me. I do eat meat but then again I won't eat deer/venison either and that's through personal choice.

If food contains horse meat they need to declare it so people know.

Posted Image

#7    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 5,685 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:36 PM

View PostStill Waters, on 15 January 2013 - 08:26 PM, said:

I could not willingly eat horse meat any more than I could eat dog meat. Even though this is normal in some countries, it's not for me. I do eat meat but then again I won't eat deer/venison either and that's through personal choice.

If food contains horse meat they need to declare it so people know.
absolutely, they should declare it.
personally I do not eat horse meat, but I know people do, my concern is not the fact that people do it eat, its the fact that we are being lied to and those lying to us I doubt are taking care of the animals while alive.

#8    Corp

Corp

Telekinetic

• 6,918 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

Aww, I was kind of hoping this was a story about a cow taking down a horse and eating it. :P

Anyway never tried horse, not sure I have much desire to eat horse, but either way it should be noted what kind of meat is being using in a product. If I'm buying a beef burger then it better be all cow.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse...A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

#9    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 5,685 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:06 PM

View PostCorp, on 15 January 2013 - 08:58 PM, said:

Aww, I was kind of hoping this was a story about a cow taking down a horse and eating it. :P

Anyway never tried horse, not sure I have much desire to eat horse, but either way it should be noted what kind of meat is being using in a product. If I'm buying a beef burger then it better be all cow.
"there is a plausible explanation for the presence of pig DNA in these products due to the fact that meat from different animals is processed in the same meat plants"

----------------
seems not just cow.
Posted Image

Edited by freetoroam, 15 January 2013 - 09:06 PM.

#10    Asadora

Asadora

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

• We have been given a chance to make things happen, but the instructions didn't include how to make things better.

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:14 AM

It's new stories like this one that makes me want to give my local butchers a hug.

Thank you, Mr. Butcher.

;)

"From time to time there appear on the face of the earth men of rare and consummate excellence, who dazzle us by their virtue, and whose outstanding qualities shed a stupendous light. Like those extraordinary stars of whose origins we are ignorant, and of whose fate, once they have vanished, we know even less, such men have neither forebears nor descendants: they are the whole of their race."  -- Jean de la Bruyere 1645-1696.

#11    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,711 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:19 AM

So what !!
If your going to eat meat don't get all sentimental about what type it is.

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#12    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 7,590 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:41 AM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 16 January 2013 - 10:19 AM, said:

So what !!
If your going to eat meat don't get all sentimental about what type it is.

Br Cornelius
Its not the meat in question, it may have bugs or diseases that humans might catch. You wouldn't eat cow penis now would you?

#13    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,711 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 16 January 2013 - 10:41 AM, said:

Its not the meat in question, it may have bugs or diseases that humans might catch. You wouldn't eat cow penis now would you?
Eating horse is common throughout the world - I really see nothing to be concerned about.
Personally I wouldn't touch any form of meat (apart from an occassional fish) but undoubtedly if you eat sausages or burgers, you have indeed eaten cows penis.

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#14    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

Nummnumm horse meat... nummmnumm pig's meat.. all is good in a pig or a horse.

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6
It's time for a sixth republic.

#15    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 7,590 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:43 AM

Agreed, the public and media always try to big things up

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users