Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Why do none of you want to be rich?

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#136    Simatong

Simatong

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 79 posts

• "Life is what you make it...So let's make some friggin' ice cream, dude!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:32 AM

View PostMr Walker, on 02 February 2013 - 08:31 AM, said:

I am sorry it makes no sense to you. That is because your reality is differnt to mine. :innocent:

As i stated in my original post, it depends on your definition of reality. There are at least two.

The reality  which exists indpendent of us (And would exist if there were no self aware observers and participants ) and the reality which exists with us, self aware, within it.  These are very different things, but both ARE our reality.

We are like observers in a quantum experiment. Our very existence as observers alters the reality which would otherwise exist without our presence in it.
It's not that my reality is different from yours, it's that your logic doesn't make sense. That in ANY reality, makes conversation very difficult

#137    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 19,339 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:16 AM

View PostSimatong, on 02 February 2013 - 08:32 AM, said:

It's not that my reality is different from yours, it's that your logic doesn't make sense. That in ANY reality, makes conversation very difficult
My logic makes perfect sense within my world/reality. :devil:  To arrive at the same conclusion using logic, one must start at the same (agreed) point.  We do not start at the same point, and thus the product of my logic does not fit your reality, although it is utterly logical in terms of classic logic.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#138    ChrLzs

ChrLzs

Just a contributor..

• 5,321 posts

• I only floccinaucinihilipilificate
    when it IS worthless...

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:02 PM

View PostSeeker79, on 31 January 2013 - 05:30 PM, said:

Do you want to give it a shot?
Give what a shot?  Spend five years meditating with you?  No.

Listen to / see the best you've got?  Yes.  Bring it.

I'm completely willing to put up if you will.
I'm not making the claims.  I'm happy to publicly show you how to test your (or anyone's) claims if you want - that is, if you can properly define what those claims are.

Better yet, why don't you tell us how you would like to be tested in a fair way, and I will help ensure that any test will be useful and fair to both sides, and point out for you (in very precise detail and with examples) any flaws that might exist in your preferred methodology.  You may be surprised to know I've done this before...

I do it everyday.
Then why not 'do it' with a competent scientist (perhaps even a conjurer/magician) watching to see if you are the real deal?

I never said science is not aimed at the truth.
Oh Rly?  Why then, did you follow this up with the contradictory snipe..

It's the bias and dogma  that creeps into the institution That disturbs me.

So.. give a specific example relevant to the topic of this thread.  I am getting rather tired of hearing generalisations and handwaving.  Tell me specifically how science is holding you (or any paranormal claimant) back, or why you won't allow your skills to be tested in a scientific fashion.

I rather like science and would rather see it free of such constraints. Just like I'd like to see the FDA actually concerned with concumers, just like I'd like to see the American cancer association actually be interested in curing and preventing cancer, just like I'd like to see politicians actually represent their constituents.

Could you be specific - there is no 'American Cancer Association', afaik. If you mean the American Cancer Society, I think they, and many of their clients, might be a little unhappy with that libelous statement..  Anyway, lamenting that science and politics and money get intertwined is a red herring.  Of course they do, and sometimes it goes wrong, or not in the direction you personally would prefer.  Yes, agreed..  But show me a better system.  Do you think science is free, that it doesn't need funding, that it doesn't have to be prioritised, that bad/incompetent people never get involved and do bad/stupid things?  

Well, gee, I guess it  *should* be the only human enterprise that is totally free of such things.  But I don't live in such a fantasy land.  Science does its best.  Live with it, or be involved in change instead of trying to use these irrelevancies to excuse your inability/unwillingness to prove your 'art'.

Unfortunately I was formally trained in economics and I know intimately as a science ( a social science) that institutions and most people follow incentives not the truth. Scientific institutions and universities included.

'Unfortunately'?  Didn't you know before then, that people & organisations were incentive driven?   Did you know that some of those try to balance incentives and actually do it quite well?  That some incentives are not actually .. bad, or even monetary?

If you want to see, I'll follow up personally with you.

No, that won't be happening.  This is a public discussion forum  - if you wish to enlighten me and prove yourself, then enlighten everyone reading.  I won't be a party to non-disclosure agreements or behind the scenes dealings.  Wouldn't want anyone thinking I was being .. incentivised .., now would we?

Be warned, I can be a bit of an effort, but I'll stick with you until you get the verification that you need. Let me know.

No, don't do it for me.  Do it for the forum, thanks.  I am fascinated, though - why, exactly, would you want to do this behind closed doors?

There are answers out there, and they won't be found by people sitting around looking serious and saying 'Isn't life mysterious?' - Tim Minchin ('Storm')
My garden is already magical and beyond beautiful - I do not need to invent fairies... - me
The truth ONLY hurts when it slaps you in the face after you haven't done proper homework and made silly claims... - me

#139    CakeOrDeath

CakeOrDeath

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 356 posts

• The Proof is in the "peeas nuhhh burder"

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

Funny if I had named this topic "Able to get generate psi balls, but looking for advice on increasing their size" heh then we would have had a wave of posts with all sorts of helpful suggestions.

That just gave me an idea...

What time is it? "peeas nuh burder" and Jelly time!

#140    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 19,339 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:52 PM

View PostCakeOrDeath, on 04 February 2013 - 04:43 PM, said:

Funny if I had named this topic "Able to get generate psi balls, but looking for advice on increasing their size" heh then we would have had a wave of posts with all sorts of helpful suggestions.

That just gave me an idea...

I found that plugging myself into the domestic power supply works wonders.  :devil:

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users