Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

A Launch Of The Bookless Library

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Government Agent

• 3,329 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:53 PM

I think there will always be a demand for good or classic paper books.  Some are quite collectible and attractive, especially old expensive antique books with fancy binding and illustrations.

I'm guessing quite a few of the e-books are filler (mediocre novels, technical books that always being revised).   I have read a few books online though.

It would be nice to have access to electronic reference material if I were a doctor or lawyer.

Edited by little_dreamer, 17 January 2013 - 10:53 PM.

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#17    Mantis914

Mantis914

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts

• You have shown me a strange image, and they are strange prisoners. Plato

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:31 PM

View Postlittle_dreamer, on 17 January 2013 - 10:53 PM, said:

I think there will always be a demand for good or classic paper books.  Some are quite collectible and attractive, especially old expensive antique books with fancy binding and illustrations.

I'm guessing quite a few of the e-books are filler (mediocre novels, technical books that always being revised).   I have read a few books online though.

It would be nice to have access to electronic reference material if I were a doctor or lawyer.

You said it...

I don't think books are going anywhere soon.  I couldn't stand thinking about old books being recycled or burned (Fahrenheit 451 come to mind?)...
One, there's far too many of them to sit there and scan them all into digital format and two, the rare books and materials that are in archives probably wouldn't stand up to being scanned anyway so they will be well kept.  Also, a book is far easier on the eyes than looking at a computer screen for the time it takes to read.  At our college library, we just have a computer lab and reference area in thinking that ebooks/ejournals could be used for research and online books and classes be used on them.  It works out for the most part (whenever students aren't on Facebook) in that students have a central place to come and do their classwork in a quiet environment.

I saw someone mention the grumpy old lady librarian... well, I'm no lady but grump and old, yes... :) and I do keep the tradition of shushing loud students and reminding of overdue materials here at our college library.

#18    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

I wish my customer could read the thread and buy some books from me :(

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6
It's time for a sixth republic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users