Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Living for ever good or bad?

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#16    ozman

ozman

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 328 posts

• Thatadvice.com is my fav site

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:13 AM

Living forever or a long time will lead to INSANITY.

Posted Image

#17    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

• Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    -- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:45 AM

It really depends on the conditions for living forever. If you can still kill somebody then I wouldn't mind so much. The idea of not being able to put somebody down who needs it would kind of suck. Think serial killers would turn in to torturers. How about paying for the people who get life in prison? Even the little things like seeing Trump or the cast of Jersey Shore...being stuck with them..... forever......

Ok only if it was for me and the people who didn't annoy me.

#18    V0ID

V0ID

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:52 AM

Why not!

Edited by V0ID, 17 January 2013 - 06:53 AM.

#19    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:37 AM

View PostJeffertonturner, on 16 January 2013 - 08:37 PM, said:

Bad. People need to die to keep the world going. Over-population is bad enough now.

View Postfreetoroam, on 16 January 2013 - 08:50 PM, said:

Too true!
can see it now, buildings covering every inch of the countryside, alongside factories mass producing processed food to accommodate the demands, animals being made to breed constantly in cages to produce the demand for meat, deceases spreading rampantly, the health service collapsing under the pressure....the list is endless and not pretty.

Ugh, the typical uninspired -I've watched too many dystopian movies-view.
Firstly overpopulation isn't bad enough now, it's non existent. Nobody knows how much the earth can take so too say it has too many ppl on it is glib. It's infrastructure and distribution that's the problem. The number of births are actually declining, so educate yourself before parotting trendy nonsense.
We're moving away from mass-production, the demassification process has already begun.

Ppl have to learn to think about the future in new terms, not in current terms. In the future lab-meat will have gained popularity for example, in the future we'll build more vertical than horizontal. Health service is increasing it's efficiency. More and more breakthroughs on disease control are being discovered and developed, a whole new era of healthiness is afoot.
Just think out the damn box for once. Science won't immediately go to a standstill if ppl can live for a longer time, this all happens gradually.

View PostOverSword, on 16 January 2013 - 10:04 PM, said:

Boring.  Living forever would leave people unenthusiastic about things.

Don't know about that. The same can be said about humans now. Many just sit in their couch all day because they'll die anyhow so why bother doing anything grand?
If you're gonna live to be a 1000 you bet your ass you're gonna try and spend your time wisely cuz else your headed for 1000 years of poverty and demotivation, who wants that?

Also, if we would all grow older then we would feel the effects of everything we do later on. We wouldn't just be able to say "ah well that's for the next generation to fix".

#20    markdohle

markdohle

Alien Abducter

• 4,752 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

View Postspartan max2, on 16 January 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

If humans get to the point were we will be abel to live forever is this good or bad?

Would you want to live forever if it was a option in this life?

Iv asked questions like this and iv got a 50/50 split it seems like. Some people just dont want to live longer then a normal life span and some people think it would be horrible for our race. Some think i is just unnatural.

I personlly would like haveing the option of deciding when to die so living forever would be good.

But what does everyone on UM think :) ?

Living forever is impossible.  There are accidents, also violence agains one another, natural disaster etc.  I read an article a whlle back and it said that if it came about that we had the potiential to live forever, the average life span would be 750 years, which means that over half would die before then.  Time, the limits of life is one thing that gives it its depth and urgency, take that away, well I am not sure what will happen.

peace
mark

#21    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,518 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

Ugh, the typical uninspired -I've watched too many dystopian movies-view.
Firstly overpopulation isn't bad enough now, it's non existent. Nobody knows how much the earth can take so too say it has too many ppl on it is glib. It's infrastructure and distribution that's the problem. The number of births are actually declining, so educate yourself before parotting trendy nonsense.
We're moving away from mass-production, the demassification process has already begun.

Ppl have to learn to think about the future in new terms, not in current terms. In the future lab-meat will have gained popularity for example, in the future we'll build more vertical than horizontal. Health service is increasing it's efficiency. More and more breakthroughs on disease control are being discovered and developed, a whole new era of healthiness is afoot.
Just think out the damn box for once. Science won't immediately go to a standstill if ppl can live for a longer time, this all happens gradually.

---------------------------------------------

You are living in cuckoo land. But you are entitled to your opinion,

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#22    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,511 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

All the obviouse economic and technological problems aside, I'd give it a shot for a few thousand years alt least. I'd like to explore the stars as a physical being. But there could be problems. Getting stuck in space for 10,000 years or more would be hell.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#23    Amalthe

Amalthe

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

Even if immortality would be economicaly cheap, society would turn it into commodity of the wealthy. People are greedy, but now their greed is matched by their life expectancy. Without death, their greed would have no natural limits, so the diference between classes would deepen even more, especially if the poor would know about the immortality. World would be ridden with clashes and riots, so the security industry as well as psychologycounseling  would proliferate. At best, it would be wise to keep immortality a secret to avoid all negative consequences.

#24    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,758 posts

• There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

hmmmm on UM it dosent seem as much a 50/50 split lol. I still stick with my veiw though

every new age has new problems to face and unintended consquences but we could work them out like we have problems now we try to work out.

Overpopulation i think is on of the ones that people fear about but isent really a problem. We would just set population limits and try to inhabit other planets. Of course there is always the potinteal that we fail.

Life being pointless because it goes on forever i can understand. But people feel the same way now because it ends lol. So as always you would have to give it meaning.

If people get too bored then just end your life? i think it would be better to have to option to choose when.

Yeah rich people would get it first but thats how it always works until it becomes cheap enough for the common person. same thing happened with cars and computers and junk

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#25    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,759 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

Probably the best way to enact it would be for after we have a reliable way of getting to other planets or potential colony sites... Only let those that migrate outward take the treatments for extreme long life...

If it is just a relatively few people - for whatever reason, then no change need be made except to keep it secret...

Would I like to?... Yes, I would like the opportunity to live for as long as I want... But not to be "locked" into an eternity of watching those I love grow old and die - time after time...

#26    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• 1,113 posts

• Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

It's certainly bad as a short-term thing what with the over- population on our planet.
However eternal life really takes a life of it's own when it comes to space exploration.
It dosn't matter how many people live for ever as long as we have all those handy planets to colonise.
However having eternal life dosn't make you entirely invincible.
Tbh it's everybody's dream fantasy but you'll got to weigh up all the pros and cons.
The prospect is very tantalising when you've got a chance of cheating death.
I would take them up on the offer if I knew the Earth was in safe hands.
But the've got to perfect the technique first.

Edited by Medium Brown, 17 January 2013 - 09:38 PM.

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

#27    Drayno

Drayno

Draynor's Finest

• 3,707 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:22 PM

Insanity will follow if you're alive forever.

Humans are programmed for the illusion that their life is forever, while they silently know they're programmed to be temporary.

"Let us sit upon the ground and tell sad stories of the death of kings."
- William Shakespeare, Richard II, Act III, Scene II

#28    Sean93

Sean93

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

• WRATH

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

It'd be brilliant. I'd be straight on a ship and headed for the zenith!

Of course the ramifications of such a thing as immortality would be dire; over population in a matter of years is the biggest thing.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”

#29    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• 2,080 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 17 January 2013 - 01:15 PM, said:

You are living in cuckoo land. But you are entitled to your opinion,

Im sorry you can't think ahead.
If you'd actually have knowledge about advancements in technology and business you'd know it to be true.

Edited by Render, 19 January 2013 - 03:12 PM.

#30    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,518 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

View PostRender, on 19 January 2013 - 03:11 PM, said:

Im sorry you can't think ahead.
If you'd actually have knowledge about advancements in technology and business you'd know it to be true.
its not just about advancements in technology and business, you seem to have forgotten about the  human race. Looking through history, advanced technology also includes warfare, so if you can look ahead and tell me that there will be no warlords and no humans striving to gain control over others, no religious movements intent on pushing for their own political agendas to rule the world, people accepting the leaders telling them they can not have have more than say 2 children because of the problems with over population, man finally respecting nature without some abusing it, big business men not abusing their powers at the expense of others....then I might be able to see outside the box, but so far the "box" holds the key to our future.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users