Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Living for ever good or bad?

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#46    Drayno

Drayno

Reverend Dudemeister

• 3,672 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:40 PM

View PostProfessor T, on 19 January 2013 - 11:24 PM, said:

This brings up another weird thing.. Because if you did genuinely believe that you could and would live for 30,000 years these are the kind of things that would mean little if not nothing to you.. They are just passing fads and things that are meaningless against the scale of your life.. It's the grand achievements that mean more to you when life is longer, the epic achievements like colonising the stars, ending all human suffering.. these things are brought to the fore-front of your goals.

Essentially.

A human being can master every subject on Earth and still be bored.

That's because humans have the potential to learn much - but a finite time in existence to learn.

Even if a human lived for thousands of years and learned much, they'd want to branch out into space to learn more.

"One leader, one people, signifies one master and millions of slaves." - Camus

#47    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,184 posts

• There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:14 AM

View PostRyn, on 19 January 2013 - 11:39 PM, said:

Well to start things off, I myself wouldn't mind being an immortal; but I think the idea of everyone else being immortal is terrible at best. Think about it.. if everyone was immortal then what would be the purpose of being immortal? There would be no purpose, everything would just die down to this bleak existence we'd come to know as life. There would be no meaning for there would be no counterpart to our very existence.. no change, no history to be made, no being better than the last because the last is still living..

What would be the purpose of being immortal? why cant the purpose be just to live and enjoy it? lol

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#48    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:20 AM

View PostProfessor T, on 19 January 2013 - 11:24 PM, said:

This brings up another weird thing.. Because if you did genuinely believe that you could and would live for 30,000 years these are the kind of things that would mean little if not nothing to you.. They are just passing fads and things that are meaningless against the scale of your life.. It's the grand achievements that mean more to you when life is longer, the epic achievements like colonising the stars, ending all human suffering.. these things are brought to the fore-front of your goals.

Those our society goals not personal ones.

If you set aside 50 could you be better than Messi? win a gold medal at an Olympics? release a pop album? become Prime Minister?

Edited by Mr Right Wing, 20 January 2013 - 12:21 AM.

#49    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ

• 2,394 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:58 AM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 20 January 2013 - 12:20 AM, said:

Those our society goals not personal ones.

If you set aside 50 could you be better than Messi? win a gold medal at an Olympics? release a pop album? become Prime Minister?

What good are personal goals if you live for 100,000 years?
That was the weird thing about it.. During this 2 minutes where I believed that I could and would live for 30,000 years personal goals meant little if not nothing, but the goals of humanity meant everything to me..

Perhaps that was the lesson? If you think about it, personal goals are important to us now because in our short life-spans we want to think we achieved something great in our 75-80 years of life.. but if we lived for thousands of years the personal goals we'd strive for would not be constrained by the length of time we exist on this earth.. The goal-posts would shift..

#50    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

View PostProfessor T, on 19 January 2013 - 07:27 PM, said:

Am genuinely surprised there are so many negative attitudes to this idea of living forever..
My how we seem to have a negative view of our selves..

Yup, surprises me too.

A lot of ppl have been so influenced by hollywood, they can't even think about anything else anymore.

Edited by Render, 20 January 2013 - 10:52 AM.

#51    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

I have taken care of my body most of my life work out,eat healthy,take enough vitamins and supplements to nauseate most lol.Still the body breaks down,have also seen to many bad things this world has to offer and cannot reset the brain.So i would have to say bad idea!

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#52    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,462 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

View PostProfessor T, on 19 January 2013 - 11:10 PM, said:

In changing the world, I would think that if people genuinely lived for 30,000 years or more, that's more than enough time for people to comprimise on what changes they want to make and see and do..

30,000 is more than enough, its getting past the first initial compromise bits which is the issue, if man can get past that without killing those in opposition first, then there may be some hope, sadly, i can not see it.
I also think that if man needs even 10,000 years to find a way of living side by side without being under control from a communist government, then thats still shows we have a long way to go.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#53    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 6,462 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

View PostRender, on 20 January 2013 - 10:52 AM, said:

Yup, surprises me too.

A lot of ppl have been so influenced by hollywood, they can't even think about anything else anymore.

Hollywood? so all the wars of the past and of today are actually just a creation of Quentin Tarantino?

Edited by freetoroam, 20 January 2013 - 12:48 PM.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#54    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 6,462 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:34 PM

How many of those who want immortality, do not even know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon?

#55    HDesiato

HDesiato

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

View Postspartan max2, on 17 January 2013 - 02:24 AM, said:

yeah i was thinking regenerative when i made this post. Idk it seems the most likely to me.
    Memory is a funny thing, the way one can color things to accommodate the ego. Imagine how distorted events would become when filtered through the years of our life's recollections.

#56    HecticSherlock

HecticSherlock

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 102 posts

• "I hate having to jump into convo's, idea's, or subjects without prior knowledge or facts to back me up..but if religion can do it!"

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

View Postspartan max2, on 20 January 2013 - 12:14 AM, said:

What would be the purpose of being immortal? why cant the purpose be just to live and enjoy it? lol

Good question, but what you're asking defies human nature 110%. :whistle:

Art of Survival~

Posted Image

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" Epicurus

#57    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ

• 2,394 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:37 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 20 January 2013 - 12:45 PM, said:

30,000 is more than enough, its getting past the first initial compromise bits which is the issue, if man can get past that without killing those in opposition first, then there may be some hope, sadly, i can not see it.
I also think that if man needs even 10,000 years to find a way of living side by side without being under control from a communist government, then thats still shows we have a long way to go.

The compromise bit actually was something that I knew would never go away, it would always be there beneath the surface but controlled at an individual level. If we don't like the way of life of other people we need to learn to let them live their way, and not push our ideals and morals on them. That was how it worked. So what if your neighbours are members of a crazy voodo cult.. that's their problem, not yours.. There is only one thing everyone in the world would need to learn in order for a truce to exist between neighbours, colegues, countries, governments... Do not force your views on others.. it's that simple, well, it seemed that simple from my perspective..

#58    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 6,462 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:51 PM

View PostProfessor T, on 20 January 2013 - 06:37 PM, said:

The compromise bit actually was something that I knew would never go away, it would always be there beneath the surface but controlled at an individual level. If we don't like the way of life of other people we need to learn to let them live their way, and not push our ideals and morals on them. That was how it worked. So what if your neighbours are members of a crazy voodo cult.. that's their problem, not yours.. There is only one thing everyone in the world would need to learn in order for a truce to exist between neighbours, colegues, countries, governments... Do not force your views on others.. it's that simple, well, it seemed that simple from my perspective..
if only it was that simple! many do not want to voice their views on others, but sometimes they have to if the ways of others are affecting their way of life.

if everyone thought the same and felt the same and followed the same rules, then how can you have individual beings?

Does this mean there will be no religion? because people follow religions when hearing the views of others, be it by ear or reading it in the religious books themselves. All religions are based on the views of others.

#59    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ

• 2,394 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 20 January 2013 - 06:51 PM, said:

if only it was that simple! many do not want to voice their views on others, but sometimes they have to if the ways of others are affecting their way of life.
lol, that is because "someone" is forcing their view on others.

if everyone thought the same and felt the same and followed the same rules, then how can you have individual beings?
lol, you've missed the point.. People would be free to be whoever they want to be. The only individual rule was do not force your views on others.

Does this mean there will be no religion? because people follow religions when hearing the views of others, be it by ear or reading it in the religious books themselves. All religions are based on the views of others.
again, you've missed the point, or are unable to see topics from another perspective..
do not force your views on others.. mean's I will not force you to understand this..

#60    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 6,462 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

View PostProfessor T, on 20 January 2013 - 07:13 PM, said:

lol, that is because "someone" is forcing their view on others.

lol, you've missed the point.. People would be free to be whoever they want to be. The only individual rule was do not force your views on others.

again, you've missed the point, or are unable to see topics from another perspective..
do not force your views on others.. mean's I will not force you to understand this..
I understand it, but can`t see it ever working, peoples cultures, morals, religions, fashion, political opinion, all make up part of their views.
People want their views to be heard, but we live in a world were not everyone will agree with them....there is a difference between forcing ones views on others and expressing ones views to others....... the difference is, it is only seen as being forced when someone disagrees and completely objects when trying to be convinced by those "expressing" their view.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users