Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

If ET arrived and said: I'm God

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

Poll: If ET arrived and said: I'm God (47 member(s) have cast votes)

If extra terrestrials landed and told us that they were our creators, would you believe it?

1. Yes (3 votes [6.38%])

Percentage of vote: 6.38%

2. No (20 votes [42.55%])

Percentage of vote: 42.55%

3. DON'T KNOW (15 votes [31.91%])

Percentage of vote: 31.91%

4. DON'T CARE (9 votes [19.15%])

Percentage of vote: 19.15%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,646 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:43 AM

So a first contact occurs.  The government can't/won't hide it and we see our first real ETs.  They tell us that they planted us here very long ago and that they are our "god".  They have technology we cannot imagine.  Do you believe their story?

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#2    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,401 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:59 AM

I've often felt we are here because of alien genetic engineering.  So I might believe them if they had any kind of credible proof.

#3    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:39 AM

nope, id
wonder how many worlds they conquered with that line lol

www.paranormaltales.boards.net

#4    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

Psychic Spy

• 1,520 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:42 AM

View PostHilander, on 17 January 2013 - 12:59 AM, said:

I've often felt we are here because of alien genetic engineering.  So I might believe them if they had any kind of credible proof.
their fake evidence would be better than our real evidence,  just something to think about.

www.paranormaltales.boards.net

#5    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• 1,496 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:53 AM

I don't believe that ET would be that corny,they would just invade and that would be it,game over Mankind... :gun:

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

#6    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,307 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:00 AM

"...for many false prophets have gone out into the world..." and all that

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#7    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,646 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:02 AM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 17 January 2013 - 02:00 AM, said:

"...for many false prophets have gone out into the world..." and all that
Yep...we are even warned that a great deception would fool most in the last days.  I can't think of one that would be more universally accepted - can you?

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#8    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:18 AM

I wouldn't know what to think of their story.. But I sure as heck would not allow any ET use my phone  lol

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#9    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,631 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:41 AM

I would point out all the ways they screwed it up.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#10    Mystic Crusader

Mystic Crusader

Psychic Spy

• 2,058 posts

• "What would you rather be, a bus driver, or a super terrorist?"

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:13 AM

View Postand then, on 17 January 2013 - 02:02 AM, said:

Yep...we are even warned that a great deception would fool most in the last days.  I can't think of one that would be more universally accepted - can you?

The Bible(s)?

Drunk with blood..
Dangerous cult leaders
Jewish gematria # 1162:
Who is like God
The epitome of evil

#11    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,048 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:21 AM

I don't care, if they could prove it it just means with all their technology they're archaic to fuel such primitive concepts.

I guess a more interesting question is, what if they are god, what if you could go back in time and see the ETs giving commands to Moses or genetically engineering the first humans.

Edited by Rlyeh, 17 January 2013 - 04:24 AM.

#12    Euphorbia

Euphorbia

Odd Plant Grower

• 1,269 posts

• You can't just choose to believe something.

Believing in something doesn't make it true.

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:48 AM

If an extraterrestrial proclaimed they were god, after I stopped laughing I would ask them who created them.  :alien: :yes: :alien:

Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.

Separation of corporation and state!

#13    shadowhive

shadowhive

Government Agent

• 3,936 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:07 AM

View Postand then, on 17 January 2013 - 12:43 AM, said:

So a first contact occurs.  The government can't/won't hide it and we see our first real ETs.  They tell us that they planted us here very long ago and that they are our "god".  They have technology we cannot imagine.  Do you believe their story?

I don't know if I'd believe it right away, I need some evidence.

However,  do have some thoughts.

First if something like that happened you know what I'd be suspicious of? Them claiming to be god. If they came and said they set life in motion on this world through silence that sounds plausible, but if they claim the title of god that just seems like an attempt to manipulate and control. (Not that's much different from the god of certain religions.)

Second, I wouldn't dismiss the claims out of hand. Why? Because it's not beyond the realm of possibility. You can claim that such technology is impossible but 100 years so were many things we take for granted (the internet, mobile phones, planes, artifical insemination etc).

Third, of course just because a race has such impressive technology doesn't mean they did what they claim (how many civilisations and tribes on earth have thought others were godlike for having technology?). If such a race did make that claim we'd have to be very careful how we handled it.

However, you know what would be important? Checking religious beliefs at the door. Why? I think you demonstarated it perfectly in this quote:

View Postand then, on 17 January 2013 - 02:02 AM, said:

Essentially you'd go 'la la la not listening'. Unfortunately that seems to be a common stance when religious belief faces other forms of evidence but just think of the consequences of such a stance here.

You'd have an alien race with impressive technology and it wouldn't take much for trouble to start if religious people just went 'those are false prophets!' We know people kill already for religious beliefs, it wouldn't take much for some religious moron with that stance to decide 'yeah I'm gonna kill them too, they're false prophets sent by the devil'. It doesn't take much to screw things up for the rest of us and, I'm sorry, but religous people seem to be extremely good at doing just that.

Best case scenario the aliens would go and we'd lose any benefits they may have been willing to share with us. Worst case we'd have a firefight that we'd have no chance of winning all because religious people couldn't resist causing trouble.

The sad thing is I can honestly see that happen. And not just if aliens made such claims, they'd likely do it for any such claim because it would challenge the notion of humans being special.

So just take off that disguise, everyone knows that you're only, pretty on the outside
Where are those droideka?
No one can tell you who you are
"There's the trouble with fanatics. They're easy to manipulate, but somehow they take everything five steps too far."
"The circumstances of one's birth are irrelevent, it's what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."

#14    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,632 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:25 AM

View PostDarkwind, on 17 January 2013 - 02:41 AM, said:

I would point out all the ways they screwed it up.
Now there's a tongue lashing they well deserve. :tu:

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#15    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,631 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:43 AM

Beings who would take the time to breed humans have a motive. Kind of scary, really.  Anybody watch Star Gate.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users