Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

I'm considering becoming a nun

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#16    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,539 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

That reminds me of the story of the lady who became a nun in a Contemplative Order. Strict silence was enforced at all times except for once every five years when each nun would be permitted to make a single statement.

When Sister Mary's turn came, she was ushered into the presence of the Mother Superior who motioned her to speak. Sister Mary glowered sullenly, "My bed's hard!" she grumbled, and that was that. Back she went to her cell.

Five years later, the same scenario. "The food's rubbish." And back she went.

By the time another five years had passed, she'd had enough, and when she went in front of the Mother Superior for a third time, she shouted, "That's it, I've had enough - I resign!!!"

The Mother Superior clasped her hands and raised her eyes to Heaven, "Oh thank the Lord!" she said, "That damn' woman's been here fifteen years and all she's done is b****y moaned!"

"G a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnwan n gef!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".

"I was born with a priceless gift - the ability to laugh at other peoples' troubles" - Dame Edna Everage

#17    markdohle

markdohle

Government Agent

• 4,295 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

View Postseeder, on 17 January 2013 - 09:46 AM, said:

how can you possibly make typo's when most sites cheek yuor spilling for you with little red lines under the wurds, if you make won?

:clap:

#18    markdohle

markdohle

Government Agent

• 4,295 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:29 PM

If it is a good choice, the right one, then your life will be freer, if it not a good choice, well it will be a prison.  Also living with others on a daily basis, for a lifetime, is the real struggle with living in any community.

Peace
mark

#19    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 7,471 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:35 PM

View PostSpiritWriter, on 17 January 2013 - 03:09 PM, said:

Because im typing on a phone with a small screen and when I go back to edit its hard to navigate and starts swinging back and forth. I figure its better to leave the typos then it is to take 30 min to make a post. There are no red lines for me on this app.

sorry but I was actually taking the micky.. hence my on purpose terrible typo's  !! :su

It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

#20    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ

• 2,305 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:13 PM

View PostSpiritWriter, on 17 January 2013 - 01:54 AM, said:

So my daughter's almost grown and will be leaving for college in s little over a year. None of my boyfriends have ever worked out and I'm thinking maybe it was Gods way to get me to be all alone with him. I really want to be of service to the world and I'm undecided what to do. I'm not catholic but am thinking about becoming a nun. You get free room and board and get to spend your entire day contemplating the mysteries of God and this is actually my favorite past time... I dont know if the foods any good and I surely hope I can still enjoy the finer foods but I am willing to give up coffee and wine. I know nuns are really into helping with causes like at risk youth, homelessness and the like, and I could get into that...

I could spend my time writing and drawing and not have to worry about the traditional job.
I am also contemplating becoming an Anarchist activist... I would like to be helpful in a revolution against corporations and the media... which imo pretty much run america....
I think a nun would be a good representative for this cause as they usually take a vow of poverty and wouldn't have amassed all those fancy inticing gadgets made by the enemy slave masters.... it will take some getting used to for sure, especially the outfit. I wonder if I could pull it off. I just hope a prerequisit isnt virginity....

Any thoughts?
Somehow I dont see you as a Nun? Probably more an Activist.. But then again.. It's not my desision to make is it..

#21    Asadora

Asadora

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

• We have been given a chance to make things happen, but the instructions didn't include how to make things better.

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:55 PM

View PostSpiritWriter, on 17 January 2013 - 01:54 AM, said:

So my daughter's almost grown and will be leaving for college in s little over a year. None of my boyfriends have ever worked out and I'm thinking maybe it was Gods way to get me to be all alone with him. I really want to be of service to the world and I'm undecided what to do. I'm not catholic but am thinking about becoming a nun. You get free room and board and get to spend your entire day contemplating the mysteries of God and this is actually my favorite past time... I dont know if the foods any good and I surely hope I can still enjoy the finer foods but I am willing to give up coffee and wine. I know nuns are really into helping with causes like at risk youth, homelessness and the like, and I could get into that...

I could spend my time writing and drawing and not have to worry about the traditional job.
I am also contemplating becoming an Anarchist activist... I would like to be helpful in a revolution against corporations and the media... which imo pretty much run america....
I think a nun would be a good representative for this cause as they usually take a vow of poverty and wouldn't have amassed all those fancy inticing gadgets made by the enemy slave masters.... it will take some getting used to for sure, especially the outfit. I wonder if I could pull it off. I just hope a prerequisit isnt virginity....

Any thoughts?

Just one thought from me and of course its light-hearted: In regards to becoming a nun, black does flatter one's figure. You wouldn't have to contend with 'wardrobe' stress... well actually okay okay, just one robe.
:whistle:

"From time to time there appear on the face of the earth men of rare and consummate excellence, who dazzle us by their virtue, and whose outstanding qualities shed a stupendous light. Like those extraordinary stars of whose origins we are ignorant, and of whose fate, once they have vanished, we know even less, such men have neither forebears nor descendants: they are the whole of their race."  -- Jean de la Bruyere 1645-1696.

#22    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

5:55

• 3,166 posts

• No two caterpillars share the same cocoon.

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:04 PM

Yeah maybe anarchy is the wrong title. I want to fight against the one percent, bring commerce to small business, bring awareness about slave practices utilized by the large corporations, make aware the brain washing tactics performed by the media that have pretty much destroyed our youth "thier specific target audience" and help raise up community minded young leaders who will continue teaching leadership as apose to follow-ship, who aim to identify injustice and break away from the controlling system. I know that sounds like a large task and I am not the type to be overburdened... I will take naps.. but I just want to be apart of something that is working toward those goals. Maybe I can just write and distribute literature and sit in on a few organizing meetings? So I dont know what party I would claim but those are my interests.. and maybe I can go on a pilgramage instead of doing the nun thing. I will still look more into it though. I wouldn't want to have to call the priest father... and catholic mass always bored me I forgot about that part but I will still think about it further. :/

Edit: I really dont know why a nun wouldn't be interested in these things.... I think they would! Like saint Teresa I think she would fight for causes like these...

Edited by SpiritWriter, 17 January 2013 - 11:06 PM.

The letter kills but The Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#23    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,166 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:08 PM

View PostOverSword, on 17 January 2013 - 05:23 PM, said:

Hi SW.  Contemplating God, existence, life, and reality is pretty much what I do all day too (and being the greatest guitar player in my living room).  For some reason I pictured you as being too young to have a grown child.

Im light hearted as well as a late bloomer I believe....

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#24    Asadora

Asadora

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

• We have been given a chance to make things happen, but the instructions didn't include how to make things better.

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:13 PM

SpiritWriter,

With honesty, I do express to you that what you have stated that you are going through, I would like for you to know that you are not alone in this feeling. Especially regarding your statement of: '...but I just want to be apart of something that is working toward these goals.'

I totally get you there!

"From time to time there appear on the face of the earth men of rare and consummate excellence, who dazzle us by their virtue, and whose outstanding qualities shed a stupendous light. Like those extraordinary stars of whose origins we are ignorant, and of whose fate, once they have vanished, we know even less, such men have neither forebears nor descendants: they are the whole of their race."  -- Jean de la Bruyere 1645-1696.

#25    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 10,466 posts

• Take 3 deep breaths

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:24 PM

View PostSpiritWriter, on 17 January 2013 - 11:08 PM, said:

Im light hearted as well as a late bloomer I believe....
I would invite you for a drink but I'm terribly deformed.

This is me
Posted Image

#26    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,539 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:29 PM

View PostOverSword, on 17 January 2013 - 11:24 PM, said:

This is me
Posted Image

Sorry, the face doesn't ring a bell!

"G a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnwan n gef!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".

"I was born with a priceless gift - the ability to laugh at other peoples' troubles" - Dame Edna Everage

#27    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,166 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:59 PM

View PostOverSword, on 17 January 2013 - 11:24 PM, said:

This is me
Posted Image

Hey I think we met before! Sorry I never called you back. Lol jk - at least your pretty on the inside :-*

Edited by SpiritWriter, 18 January 2013 - 12:00 AM.

#28    Blood_Sacrifice

Blood_Sacrifice

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:03 AM

Can you turn away from this lifestyle if you realize your heart is not into this anymore? I would never choose what I can't turn back from. No offense but I have heard scary stories about nuns and monks that I have got a bit of a negative opinion regarding this. Go where your passion lies but remember to temper your passion with compassion as well. Remember a life that does not give you the chance to turn back is robbing you off your free-will. And if you want to commune with God, then there are many other ways. Ultimately it will be upon you, but think it through.

Edited by Blood_Sacrifice, 18 January 2013 - 01:10 AM.

"I'm not afraid of dying, just of not achieving very much before I do." - Emma_Acid

#29    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,508 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

View PostSpiritWriter, on 17 January 2013 - 11:04 PM, said:

... and catholic mass always bored me I forgot about that part but I will still think about it further.

Stop right there. The world does not need any more hypocrites, nor do I think you want to perform lip service every day.

Edit: I really dont know why a nun wouldn't be interested in these things.... I think they would! Like saint Teresa I think she would fight for causes like these...

I don't know where you live, but there's probably a Tzu Chi branch nearby. Tzu Chi is a global Buddhist relief organization, that also constructs hospitals and schools. It was founded by a simple Buddhist nun going door to door asking housewives for a few pennies each.

The wiki entry for the founder Cheng Yen  notes "She is often called the "Mother Teresa of Asia.""

Anyways, just trying to show you other alternatives besides Catholicism.

#30    laver

laver

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

Become a pagan..... Jesus was...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users