Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

I'm considering becoming a nun

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#31    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 4,039 posts

• How is the appearance of my house that His ghost could come in among my dwelling?

:-*

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

View Postredhen, on 18 January 2013 - 12:45 PM, said:

Stop right there. The world does not need any more hypocrites, nor do I think you want to perform lip service every day.

I don't know where you live, but there's probably a Tzu Chi branch nearby. Tzu Chi is a global Buddhist relief organization, that also constructs hospitals and schools. It was founded by a simple Buddhist nun going door to door asking housewives for a few pennies each.

The wiki entry for the founder Cheng Yen  notes "She is often called the "Mother Teresa of Asia.""

Anyways, just trying to show you other alternatives besides Catholicism.

Thats why titles are lame

The letter kills but The Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#32    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,591 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

Might not be a bad idea to hit up your local Catholic church for info on being a nun... But poking around a tad, there are some rules..

You do have to be Catholic to be a Catholic nun.
You can have had children and still become a nun- however, those children must be fully grown and not a dependent. You cannot be married, and if you were married, that marriage either has to be annulled or have ended through death. I read a bit of conflicting information about divorce- if he left you, you might be able to do it, but if you left him, I think you can't.
There are a few accounts of unwed mothers entering the sisterhood, but those seem to be on a case by case basis.
You aren't supposed to have any debt upon entrance to the novitiate... Student loans, mortgages, CC debt, all that stuff applies.
Age is somewhat a factor, they like to take nuns between 18-40.. Many houses take every woman that knocks on a case by case basis.
Don't forget that nuns are celibate...

#33    Professor T

Professor T

3 of 7

• 2,579 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

View PostSpiritWriter, on 17 January 2013 - 11:04 PM, said:

Yeah maybe anarchy is the wrong title. I want to fight against the one percent, bring commerce to small business, bring awareness about slave practices utilized by the large corporations, make aware the brain washing tactics performed by the media that have pretty much destroyed our youth "thier specific target audience" and help raise up community minded young leaders who will continue teaching leadership as apose to follow-ship, who aim to identify injustice and break away from the controlling system. I know that sounds like a large task and I am not the type to be overburdened... I will take naps.. but I just want to be apart of something that is working toward those goals. Maybe I can just write and distribute literature and sit in on a few organizing meetings? So I dont know what party I would claim but those are my interests.. and maybe I can go on a pilgramage instead of doing the nun thing. I will still look more into it though. I wouldn't want to have to call the priest father... and catholic mass always bored me I forgot about that part but I will still think about it further. :/
The Highlighted portion appeals to me..
People need to be educated avout how they are being brainwashed by corporate media, personally though, I think 99% of pamphlets go in the rubish.. But I guess you could go door knocking. (Dont dress like a Joho though) :ph34r:
The pilgramage sounds interesting too.. I've often amused myself with the thought of going on an advertising defacing pilgramage.. Just wonder about the country (at night obviously) to destroy offensive advertising billboards.. :devil:  Or advertising belonging to offensive corporations..

Edited by Professor T, 18 January 2013 - 05:26 PM.

#34    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 4,039 posts

• How is the appearance of my house that His ghost could come in among my dwelling?

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

View PostProfessor T, on 18 January 2013 - 05:16 PM, said:

The Highlighted portion appeals to me..
People need to be educated avout how they are being brainwashed by corporate media, personally though, I think 99% of pamphlets go in the rubish.. Bit I guess you could go door knocking. (Dont dress like a Joho though) :ph34r:
The pilgramage sounds interesting too.. I've often amused myself with the thought of going on an advertising defacing pilgramage.. Just wonder about the country (at night obviously) to destroy offensive advertising billboards.. :devil:  Or advertising belonging to offensive corporations..

Lol maybe we could become a duo.

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#35    Ealdwita

Ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 5,116 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

Would this help? This is the way new Benedictines roll..... http://www.benedicti...y/vocation.html

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#36    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 4,039 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

They might go in the rubbish but it all starts with awareness, truth leads to conviction.

#37    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 8,460 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:32 PM

View PostSpiritWriter, on 17 January 2013 - 04:44 AM, said:

Pleeeease forgive the typos!
You are forgiven my child.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#38    Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

If you're not Catholic you can be your own nun.  Just decide to be celibate.  Don't accept if men ask you out.   Get a job working at a University taking care of Laboratory animals or get a job taking care of children?   Nuns have to work - a lot.  

You don't get to just sit around doing nothing.  They farm and garden and can fruits and vegetables and they make wine and bread and sell it and do all kinds of things and some Nuns work with children and teach.  So it's not like you get to just sit around and eat three square meals a day.

Work in a daycare center for children or old people.   Pray, believe in God, do good works, take care of the sick and the elderly, the widows and orphans.   Volunteer with Hospice.    That is what Nuns do.

Art

#39    laver

laver

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:52 AM

View PostHilander, on 17 January 2013 - 02:20 AM, said:

Of course you have to do what you have to do but I would give it serious thought.  That is going to be so different than anything you are use to like freedom to do what you want or protest what you want.  From what I understand and I'm not catholic, nuns lead pretty controlled lives.  You seem more like a free spirit to me.

That may be very sound advice.....!  Freedom of thought and action should not be given up lightly, it is the great gift that some of us have but not all.... 'Freedom is a word I rarely use without thinking.....' . If you look up the origins of the word FREEDOM I think you will find, from memory, that it is the 'dear' who are free and not slaves. Why give up that freedom to become a slave... particularly to an organisation that has in the past, and today, shown that it is so undeserving of our trust..........

#40    ainomieli

ainomieli

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:08 AM

Hi,

Interesting, I have had similar ideas before I met my husband and I am not a catholic either. Somehow though I have always felt drawn to a catholic faith.. I have always felt inspired by stories about saintly nuns like for example Theresa of Avila. I suggest that you check her if not already familiar about her. It is a very interesting. I think she was a free spirit even though she lived in a monastery and dedicated her life to God.
But I think even to her it did not come easy:)

Have a really nice day:)

Only truth exists.

#41    Star of the Sea

Star of the Sea

Pienso en ti siempre

• 1,886 posts

• 'The light of the world'

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

Hi,

Catholic Nuns have many different roles and it depends if you want to be a 'cloistered Nun' or work in the community. The one thing that I would be asking myself  (if it were I) 'why didn't I become a Nun in the first place?' That's my only thought. Good luck with whatever you decide. :tu:

"Love one another as I have loved you" John 15:9-17

#42    HollyDolly

HollyDolly

Psychic Spy

• 1,342 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

Most people think of course of the Catholic church when it comes to nuns. However the Anglican church also has them as do the orthodox .
I had a great aunt and a second cousin who were both nuns.My great aunt was a School Sister of Notre Dame for 60 years and my cousin was a Sister of Charity of NazerathKentucky. You don't have the freedom to come and go and do what you want when you want to.There are various other things nuns can't do.
My cousin Carlene who was the Sister of Charity was a very pretty young lady.She had boyfriends but felt God calling her to the religious life and she had the example of her aunt Sister Generose  (my great aunt) before her.I guess Sister Generose too must have inspired her with the desire to  enter the convent.
You can be young or old to be a nun.Of course your children should be grown up  and on their own, and most who do enter at an older age are widowed.
There are also what they call secular institutes some of whom their members live in community and on others no.
You may also find that some religious communities of women have lay members,people who help the sisters in their work as volunteers if you will.
You can order from Amazon  The Catholic Almanac published by Our Sunday Visitor a Catholic publications.It lists religious orders and secular institutes in the US.
My great aunt was a teacher and my cousin Carlene was a nurse.
Nuns work very hard at what they do.The ones who teach nurse,take care of mentally challenged kids etc are mainly called sisters.Those who pray and do not teach or nurse are called nuns. But as said before the ones in the cloister have to work very hard too to support themselves.
I once wanted to be a nun.But first my mother and then my father got seriously ill, so i never did enter a convent.However I think God  wanted me to be in the world and help them.there is much you can do in the world without entering the convent. Also orders like the Franciscans etc.do have lay members.I believe Catherine of Aragon belonged to the Franciscans as a lay member. This is something that one can do and even be married.

#43    calaf

calaf

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:13 PM

View PostSpiritWriter, on 17 January 2013 - 03:09 PM, said:

Because im typing on a phone with a small screen and when I go back to edit its hard to navigate and starts swinging back and forth. I figure its better to leave the typos then it is to take 30 min to make a post. There are no red lines for me on this app.

Can nuns have smart phones with apps?

#44    No-thingBornPassion

No-thingBornPassion

Psychic Spy

• 1,369 posts

• (Christian) Gnosticism also has the Holy Spirit, Christ(os), Jesus, LOVE...and God. Father, as the "Dazzling Darkness."

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:45 AM

View PostSpiritWriter, on 17 January 2013 - 01:54 AM, said:

Any thoughts?
Hi SpiritWriter. You may want to watch In This House of Brede, starring Diana Rigg. Peace.

https://www.youtube....ix3pVUX86yBWWzS  (playlist )    https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100008232820397

According to Gnosticism, Christ came to world to give us a way out; so, why is Gnosticism so secretive and elitist when it comes to salvation??
“Moses approached the dark cloud where God was.”

#45    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 6,460 posts

• I might have been born yesterday
    but, I stayed up all night.

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:42 AM

View Postbraveone2u, on 22 January 2013 - 05:45 AM, said:

Hi SpiritWriter. You may want to watch In This House of Brede, starring Diana Rigg. Peace.

Or maybe 'Lilies of the Field'. Download the song "Amen!" from Youtube or the movie. Or read the book by William Edmund Barrett. Lifts my spirits, evertime. :)

Youtube link:

Edited by Likely Guy, 22 January 2013 - 06:45 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users