Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Crabs Really Do Feel Pain: Study

pain crab animal

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1    Insanity

Insanity

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

• "Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..." - H.P. Lovecraft, "The Tomb", Published 1922

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:22 AM

In addition to recent articles conflicting as to whether or not fish feel pain.

Scientists have long held that crabs are unable to feel pain because they lack the biology to do so, but behavioral evidence has recently shown otherwise. Now, new research further supports the hypothesis that crabs feel pain by showing that crabs given a mild shock will take steps to avoid getting shocked in the future.

http://www.livescien...-feel-pain.html

Edited by Still Waters, 17 January 2013 - 12:35 PM.
Fixed broken source link

"We see things only as we are constructed to see them, and can gain no idea of their absolute nature. With five feeble senses we pretend to comprehend the boundlessly complex cosmos, yet other beings with wider, stronger, or different range of senses might not only see very differently the things we see, but might see and study whole worlds of matter, energy, and life which lie close at hand yet can never be detected with the senses we have." - H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond" Published 1934

#2    lsra

lsra

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 145 posts

• Someday we'll look back at this and plow into a parked car.

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:12 AM

Although crav is tasty, I won't eat them. I've never liked the idea of boiling them alive.

#3    The Unseen

The Unseen

Poltergeist

• 2,774 posts

• Whats out there?

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:51 AM

Crabs feeling pain.Dont know,Bit I do know that they taste real good with butter and a little Old Bay sprinkled on them,And yes I have boiled them Alive,thing is they die really fast like in an instant they hit the BOILING water so if they feel pain it isn't much for they die quickly and are ready in about 5 minutes.Even crawfish cook really fast in boiling water..Pain? I think they do have a little corse Most animals do but ...........I dont know,but thats not going to stop me from eating them.

#4    Sean93

Sean93

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

• WRATH

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:47 PM

Now you tell me, about 10 years after I dropped rocks on a pile of big crabs at the beach!

(These things were huge though; I mean they were like a man!") <Nerdy Reference.
Posted Image

"Be peaceful, be courteous, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”

#5    Sean93

Sean93

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

• WRATH

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

You think boiling a crab alive is inhumane? Try this for sides. (Pun intended)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb28IYXBi9A

"Be peaceful, be courteous, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”

#6    Farmerboy

Farmerboy

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

He was one of my Masters supervisors last year, the experiments were really interesting to hear about, as were some of his previous work on hermit crabs.

#7    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 8,214 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

Excuse me, but is this what scientists are doing today, very possibly inflicting pain on living creatures to see if they feel pain??? WHY?
how about they try this experiment on some of this worlds warlords, serial killers, mass murderers, rapists or pedophiles?

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#8    Mantis914

Mantis914

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

• You have shown me a strange image, and they are strange prisoners. Plato

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

So be kind to your fellow crustaceans!  I've kept hermit crabs for years and they've provided loads of entertainment when they are active and if they want to be sedentary, well, you let sleep crabs lay...

Also, if they do feel pain, what will that change?  They still will end up on someone's dinner plate just like chickens and cows...

#9    The Unseen

The Unseen

Poltergeist

• 2,774 posts

• Whats out there?

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

View PostMantis914, on 17 January 2013 - 05:44 PM, said:

So be kind to your fellow crustaceans!  I've kept hermit crabs for years and they've provided loads of entertainment when they are active and if they want to be sedentary, well, you let sleep crabs lay...

Also, if they do feel pain, what will that change?  They still will end up on someone's dinner plate just like chickens and cows...
your so right.

#10    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

View PostMantis914, on 17 January 2013 - 05:44 PM, said:

Are you stating what is the case, or what should be the case?

#11    Mantis914

Mantis914

Psychic Spy

• 1,209 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:19 PM

View Postredhen, on 17 January 2013 - 08:12 PM, said:

Are you stating what is the case, or what should be the case?

There really isn't a "should-be", I think.  Seafood is a big business even though we hear on a daily basis how the seas are running out of life.  Ideally, I wouldn't wish any pain on anyone or anything but we have to eat, that's life...    I'm sure a mother wildebeest doesn't relish the thought of her calf being devoured by hungry lions but what can she do about it...

I've been friendly with our armor-plated little neighbors (even though they've pinched me unintentionally from time to time) so don't get me wrong on that...

#12    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:33 PM

View PostMantis914, on 17 January 2013 - 09:19 PM, said:

There really isn't a "should-be", I think.

Are you saying that there are no moral considerations when it comes to diet?

Seafood is a big business even though we hear on a daily basis how the seas are running out of life.

True

Ideally, I wouldn't wish any pain on anyone or anything

Ok, so diet is a moral concern.

but we have to eat, that's life...  

Unless you live in a stone age society or in an environment where nothing grows, you do have a choice. Just ask four time Olympic gold medalist and vegan, Carl Lewis.

I'm sure a mother wildebeest doesn't relish the thought of her calf being devoured by hungry lions but what can she do about it...

Humans are not obligate carnivores like lions and alligators.

I've been friendly with our armor-plated little neighbors (even though they've pinched me unintentionally from time to time) so don't get me wrong on that...

Glad to hear that.

#13    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,475 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:48 PM

View Postredhen, on 17 January 2013 - 09:33 PM, said:

Are you saying that there are no moral considerations when it comes to diet?

True

Ok, so diet is a moral concern.

Unless you live in a stone age society or in an environment where nothing grows, you do have a choice. Just ask four time Olympic gold medalist and vegan, Carl Lewis.

Humans are not obligate carnivores like lions and alligators.

Glad to hear that.

I have also heard that Plants and vegetation feel pain.... doesn't leave a whole lot of foodstuffs for humans :unsure2:

#14    Mantis914

Mantis914

Psychic Spy

• 1,209 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:58 PM

Well, I wouldn't consider cannibalism but if it came to survival, what else is there to do?

Kudos for Carl Lewis and all veggie eaters out there.  Just because someone else is a vegeterian doesn't mean that I have to become one.  We're all free to make our own choices, right?  

Is there a reason why are you taking one line out of what I said earlier so personally?  

And actually, Stone Age societies ate their greens...

http://www.huffingto..._n_2031999.html

#15    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:05 PM

View Postkeithisco, on 17 January 2013 - 09:48 PM, said:

I have also heard that Plants and vegetation feel pain.... doesn't leave a whole lot of foodstuffs for humans :unsure2:

And by what mechanism do they feel pain? They don't have a nervous system or nociceptors, so you've got me curious now.

Also tagged with pain, crab, animal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users