Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Used to Be

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#16    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 4,195 posts

• Hi! :-)

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

Lol did the first poster mean you can do better poetry or you can do better than that previous man? I thought it was the latter until the rest of the posts started flowing. Hearts are for breaking. In my opinion its good to share regardless of the quality others perceive it to be. If you are drawn to poetry and continue to write it you instincts will begin to guide you as to what sounds and feels appealing, moving or gut wrenching. Listening to too much advise can become problematic because you begin to try to please someone else rather than yourself. If you are pleased with your work that means a lot. Sure we can learn from others but never start to discredit your own gut instincts or weigh someone elses opinions more heavily than your own. Poetry in my opinion is the authors pure intention and the readers pure reaction, they dont need to match...

I say that because I was in a previous poetry environment where writers were always putting their two cents in and I spent hours trying to take thier advise which purely frusterated me and landed me with poetry I didnt even like. We can learn from noticing what others do well and by practicing more than leaning into a conforming stance.. in my opinion.. but I am different and not in the majority in some circles. Also some people have preconceived notions of what poetry should be, rhyming standards, rules, number of lines, number of syllables... serious poets should perhaps try these things.. but no artist should conform, thats how I feel....

The letter kills but The Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users