Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Fishery owner 'put out of business by otters'

otters fishery brian dodson

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 40,711 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

A fishery owner is suing the Environment Agency for £2.5 million over claims a colony of otters put him out of business by eating all his fish.

Brian Dodson claims the government body created an otter haven on a nearby river and failed to inform him of the potential problems the furry mammals could cause.

After stocking six lakes at his new business with thousands of carp at a cost of £250,000, the protected otters sought out his fishery as a rich food source.

http://www.telegraph...f-business.html

Posted Image

#2    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

He never heard of a otter trap. They even have catch and release style ones. If they were outside there "protected area". Ignorance is not an excuse to sue.

And what kind of business stocks 6 lakes with 1,000's of carp. Carp is about worthless except maybe as chum or catch and release. They like the easiest fish in the world to catch. You can catch em with cheese whiz.or bread. In many places there nearly considered an invasive species.

Good luck on this lawsuit. :passifier:
Final Score:
Carp Breeder 0
Otters 1

#3    wolfknight

wolfknight

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

• There is nothing to Fear, but fear itself

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

The otter have to eat too.

#4    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 8,526 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

Otters will eat just about anything, afterall, they have to eat.  We generally do not eat carp in England, but this is beginning to change with the arrival of the Eastern Europeans, who do.
But can not feel sympathy for the owner as his priority is sport and the priority for the otter is food.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#5    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 10,578 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

I used a dog when I use to work at a fish farm.  Otters could  clear out a pond, but the dog would chase them and harass them,  soon they moved on.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#6    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 8,526 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

Over a period of years his valuable fish were decimated
================================================
why did he not start doing something to protect the fish at the start, like getting a dog, instead of waiting for a period of years??

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#7    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 10,578 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

Otter hounds where breed to hunt otters. I think the guy is just looking for a new way to make money.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#8    Urisk

Urisk

Smiling like a killer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts

• born to lose
    live to win

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

Can't wait til the Government gets wind of this. Let another animal witch-hunt ensue....

All I can say to someone like that, who can't look after a business, find ways to mitigate his loses and work in a balanced relationship with the nature around him is: "Good!".

I bet the carp aren't even native.

Edited by Urisk, 18 January 2013 - 03:00 PM.

Posted Image

I have seen beyond the bounds of infinity and drawn down daemons from the stars

#9    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 8,526 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

View PostUrisk, on 18 January 2013 - 02:52 PM, said:

Can't wait til the Government gets wind of this. Let another animal witch-hunt ensue....

All I can say to someone like that, who can't look after a business, find ways to mitigate his loses and work in a balanced relationship with the nature around him is: "Good!".
The guy stockpiled carp for sport and was anti otters, I doubt nature comes before money in his books. I hope he never runs any kind of colony again.

#10    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,737 posts

• With great power, comes great irresponsibility.

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

I saw an otter running down the sidewalk outside of Disneyland a few months ago. It was crazy, it stopped, looked at me, then looked at the old guy walking behind me and took off. Strangely enough there were no large bodies of water around anywhere. I almost wonder if it was somebody's pet or something.

#11    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 8,526 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

View PostWoIverine, on 18 January 2013 - 03:11 PM, said:

I saw an otter running down the sidewalk outside of Disneyland a few months ago. It was crazy, it stopped, looked at me, then looked at the old guy walking behind me and took off. Strangely enough there were no large bodies of water around anywhere. I almost wonder if it was somebody's pet or something.
Could have been someones pet, but I know whos pet it was definitely not.....Brian Dodson`s.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users