Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

To those who criticized the French

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16    Yamato

Yamato

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,389 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:33 AM

View PostLord Vetinari, on 21 January 2013 - 08:22 AM, said:

how do you mean? Praise of the French for (potentially) making the same mistake as Bush & Blair would be loved? What does what the French do have to do with neocons and Dems?
Well what do the French have to do with Freedom Fries for that matter?

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#17    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

An Inspiration to Millions

• 23,278 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:03 AM

View PostYamato, on 21 January 2013 - 08:33 AM, said:

Well what do the French have to do with Freedom Fries for that matter?
i think the sentiment was that the French were standing up for Freedom, wasn't it?

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#18    Yamato

Yamato

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,389 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:22 AM

View PostLord Vetinari, on 21 January 2013 - 09:03 AM, said:

i think the sentiment was that the French were standing up for Freedom, wasn't it?
Which brings us to the connection with the neocons.   The neocon sentiment was that the French were not being helpful, that's why their name was stripped from our food.   These were neocons who changed the name on the DC menus.   Avid supporters of the Iraq war post-9/11.  At least until one got busted and the other had an epiphany of the truth.

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#19    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 11,663 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

View PostI believe you, on 18 January 2013 - 09:12 PM, said:

Remember Freedom Fries? The neo-cons who hated our French allies so much they renamed French fries? I believe they owe the French an apology after watching their actions against Islamic radlcalism.

I also propose in honor of the French and their noble actions that we rename them back to Freedom Fries! This time in honor of the French and their fight for Freedom.

You know fellow Americans we are not the only ones fighting terrorism. So are Russia, China, and a host of others. In the end the major powers also have to decide how to treat their previous colonies.

Terrorism is a unique feature of post-colonialism. It is began by lack of jobs and access to brides. That will always lead to war, in every nation, return their economy, quit allowing dictators of your choosing to rule and quit calling popular elected leaders dictators because you disagree with the will of their people, support the people when they rise, and after when they take power, do it in your own country too, quit pretending Iran, China, or Russia is the sole problem in the world when we are one too.
Oh yes the noble french military, defending french companies rights to profit in african countries.  Get real.

#20    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 11,663 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

View PostAtentutankh-pasheri, on 19 January 2013 - 10:19 AM, said:

Edit so add that you say "War on terror" was used as excuse, so, when did "war on terror" start, and what are dates for first and second Chechen war?
The war on terror actually started in 1986 when terrorist bombed a barracks full of US marines in beruit.

#21    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,057 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

View PostOverSword, on 28 January 2013 - 04:10 PM, said:

The war on terror actually started in 1986 when terrorist bombed a barracks full of US marines in beruit.

And that kid plays a first person shooter with baseball bats?

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#22    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,057 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 28 January 2013 - 05:20 PM, said:

And that kid plays a first person shooter with baseball bats?

Why did this get here?

Yo Saru, Bug!

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#23    Tutankhaten-pasheri

Tutankhaten-pasheri

Buratinologist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

Rather US centric...... In 1985 4 Soviet diplomats were held hostage by Islamist terrorists in Beirut. Situation succesfully  liquidated by Alpha Group using "extreme predudice"

#24    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 11,663 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

View PostAtentutankh-pasheri, on 28 January 2013 - 06:17 PM, said:

Rather US centric...... In 1985 4 Soviet diplomats were held hostage by Islamist terrorists in Beirut. Situation succesfully  liquidated by Alpha Group using "extreme predudice"
So either way the  war on terror precedes both chechan wars.

Edit for, you sound like Lt. Checkov of Star Trek always outdoing America feats with prior Russian feats. :yes:   Next tell me which Russian sci-fi TV program did what star trek did only better and the sereotype is complete :tsu:

Edited by OverSword, 28 January 2013 - 06:52 PM.

#25    Tutankhaten-pasheri

Tutankhaten-pasheri

Buratinologist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

View PostOverSword, on 28 January 2013 - 06:49 PM, said:

So either way the  war on terror precedes both chechan wars.

Edit for, you sound like Lt. Checkov of Star Trek always outdoing America feats with prior Russian feats. :yes:   Next tell me which Russian sci-fi TV program did what star trek did only better and the sereotype is complete :tsu:
Zvezdi Put, to give Star Trek it's original Russian name, was shown on Soviet TV in 1962. There were real aliens in the show, from Tunguska ship, though nobody realised, and all is still shrouded in secrecy. However, US spies stole idea for what became inferior capitalist carbage Star Trek, and US$ have made sure nobody knows about original Soviet show.
Besides, without Tsiolkovskiy there would never have been Roddenbury imagining what he did, or Von Braun........

#26    Spiral staircase

Spiral staircase

Breaking

• 3,607 posts

• Such an ugly feeling that won't leave.

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:06 PM

In 1986 Bin Laden was our ally.

The "War on Terror" is a phrase first mentioned by GW Bush in September 2001.

Terrorism has existed but there was never a "War on Terror" in the '80s especially when the Cold War was still occuring.

Some would more accurately claim the War on Terror began in the 1990s. Al-Qaeda itself was formed at the very end of the '80s and began operations against us in the '90s.

View PostOverSword, on 28 January 2013 - 04:05 PM, said:

Oh yes the noble french military, defending french companies rights to profit in african countries.  Get real.

Vive Le France!

#27    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

An Inspiration to Millions

• 23,278 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:55 PM

Well, I see that they've scored a resounding victory, adding a new page to the history of French military successes, which must be the first since  ........

And now, apparently, they're marching on Timbuctu.
I do hope this won't end in tears.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#28    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 12,669 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:39 AM

View PostLord Vetinari, on 28 January 2013 - 08:55 PM, said:

Well, I see that they've scored a resounding victory, adding a new page to the history of French military successes, which must be the first since  ........

And now, apparently, they're marching on Timbuctu.
I do hope this won't end in tears.
It's almost guaranteed to if they over reach.  The  Islamists are just falling back now and blending into the country side.  Same old problem as any insurgency.  The west/French should help train the Malian military - though I think the US already attempted this - and provide support but if they aren't going to live as dhimmi slaves to this ideology they will have to be willing to defeat it themselves.  Cliche but true - freedom isn't free.  The best the west can hope to do in future is to wait for the infestation to form and show itself then burn it out - over and over.  Sad but true.

Imagination is the power in the turn of a phrase.

#29    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:45 AM

View PostI believe you, on 18 January 2013 - 09:12 PM, said:

Remember Freedom Fries? The neo-cons who hated our French allies so much they renamed French fries? I believe they owe the French an apology after watching their actions against Islamic radlcalism.

I also propose in honor of the French and their noble actions that we rename them back to Freedom Fries! This time in honor of the French and their fight for Freedom.

You know fellow Americans we are not the only ones fighting terrorism. So are Russia, China, and a host of others. In the end the major powers also have to decide how to treat their previous colonies.

Terrorism is a unique feature of post-colonialism. It is began by lack of jobs and access to brides. That will always lead to war, in every nation, return their economy, quit allowing dictators of your choosing to rule and quit calling popular elected leaders dictators because you disagree with the will of their people, support the people when they rise, and after when they take power, do it in your own country too, quit pretending Iran, China, or Russia is the sole problem in the world when we are one too.

Sorry I have to disagree.

All the worlds terrorists (at this point in history) are being motivated by the Palastine - Israel issues. Wars on terror are pointless as they dont deal with that core issue. The only way to resolve it is the creation of a new state or war until one side is ejected from their land.

There is a third possibility and that is the Messiah that correctly matches up to requirements dictated by the Bible, Quran and Torah as he would unify all three faiths.

#30    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:13 AM

I condemn the French for not caring until it is there proxy state.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users