Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Neanderthal to be born to surrogate mother?

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#1    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,450 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

There have been indications that a cloning experiment to create a live Neanderthal may be on the cards.

Technology Review said:

While the idea of reviving Neanderthals may sound farfetched, take for example the work of biologists to clone endangered or extinct non-human animals.

Posted Image Read more...

#2    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

Don't feel like this is something we should do.

Also wouldn't the money, resources and scientists be better put into something that will actually help the human race.

Edited by Coffey, 19 January 2013 - 02:09 PM.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#3    Norbert the Incredible

Norbert the Incredible

They knew too much about flying saucers!

• 27,168 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

Oh dear, not more Frankenstein science. :no:  They really work hard to dispel the myth that Science is primarily interested in tampering with nature, don't they.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#4    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

Human already can get along just because of creeds colors and religion and someone wants to create an all new specie alltogether???? Shouldn't scientist start working on improving the majority of human in new ways of thinking?

Forgot to say... I'm sure there isn't going to be a problem finding a chickybutt who will volunteer for it.

Edited by Paracelse, 19 January 2013 - 02:54 PM.

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6
It's time for a sixth republic.

#5    Ealdwita

Ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 5,170 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

POPULAR

Venture into most city and town centres after pub 'chucking-out' time, and you could be forgiven for thinking the cloning of 'Neanderthals' has been performed on a massive scale for years!

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#6    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 8,534 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

will be needed to be the surrogate mother for the first Neanderthal baby in some 30,000 years.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

?? isn`t the world ending by then?

Eventually, this could lead to a Neanderthal-like embryo in need of a surrogate mother.

like? oh dear, Frankestein it is. Just because they are "scientists" does not make this right. I wonder if someone is 'sponsoring' them to do this? just shows some of these scientists have no qualms about playing with nature, and yet so many rely on evidence they give us.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#7    Norbert the Incredible

Norbert the Incredible

They knew too much about flying saucers!

• 27,168 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 19 January 2013 - 03:17 PM, said:

will be needed to be the surrogate mother for the first Neanderthal baby in some 30,000 years.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

?? isn`t the world ending by then?

I think they must mean "the first for 30,000 years", not that they'll be ready to do it by about then.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#8    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 8,534 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

View PostLord Vetinari, on 19 January 2013 - 03:40 PM, said:

I think they must mean "the first for 30,000 years", not that they'll be ready to do it by about then.
Possibly, but the first 30,000 seems a long time to do this research. :cry:
maybe they need a sponsor to cover the costs for 30,000 years, i do hope the sponsor is not the tax payer.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#9    voidla

voidla

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

If this was about birthing an extinct animal, we would be all over this, saying how great and what an achievement it was.

#10    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

surd

• 11,116 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

View Postvoidla, on 19 January 2013 - 04:42 PM, said:

If this was about birthing an extinct animal, we would be all over this, saying how great and what an achievement it was.
Er, no ....... we wouldn't!

This ..... this is your life as it passed before other people's eyes.

italics don't really work in comic sans, do they? :/   

#11    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 8,534 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

View Postvoidla, on 19 January 2013 - 04:42 PM, said:

But it isn`t.

#12    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 8,534 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:21 PM

View Postouija ouija, on 19 January 2013 - 05:14 PM, said:

Er, no ....... we wouldn't!
i see you have changed your hair colour...nice. :D

#13    highdesert50

highdesert50

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

How would you feel as a freakish object of experimental scrutiny for a entire lifetime. A bit of empathy required in this type of experimentation.

#14    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

surd

• 11,116 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 19 January 2013 - 05:21 PM, said:

i see you have changed your hair colour...nice. :D

Thank you! :D  And the blue of my ripped t-shirt sets it off perfectly, doesn't it?

This ..... this is your life as it passed before other people's eyes.

italics don't really work in comic sans, do they? :/   

#15    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 8,534 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

View Posthighdesert50, on 19 January 2013 - 05:27 PM, said:

How would you feel as a freakish object of experimental scrutiny for a entire lifetime. A bit of empathy required in this type of experimentation.
yep , would not be a free person... for sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users