Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

flatwood

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1    MissJatti

MissJatti

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

• There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:39 AM

what do you think the flatwood monster really is, if it was not imagined??

Posted Image

#2    shadowlark

shadowlark

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:11 AM

I had to look up what it was. The meteor//owl theory seems pretty plausible to me.

#3    MissJatti

MissJatti

Psychic Spy

• 1,355 posts

• There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:40 AM

apparently this is what the flatwoods monster looks like by eye witness accounts, depicted by the history channel program monster quest.

I have attached the pic in the reply

Posted Image

#4    Night Walker

Night Walker

Psychic Spy

• 1,113 posts

• We're all storytellers. We all live in a network of stories. There isn't a stronger connection between people than storytelling.

J.M. Smith

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:49 AM

This is the Flatwoods Monster according to Wiki:

Posted Image

View PostSkeptcByMindBelievrByHeart, on 20 January 2013 - 08:39 AM, said:

what do you think the flatwood monster really is, if it was not imagined??

If not imagined, I'd say it resembles the Ace of Spades in a skirt...

Posted Image Yes! Canada's most fearsome predator. The Kodiak Marmoset – it's the world's largest smallest primate. "My God! He's killing us..."

The Yowie-ocalypse is upon us...

#5    Clobhair-cean

Clobhair-cean

Psychic Spy

• 1,145 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

The barn owl explanation makes perfect sense. So yeah, an owl.

#6    MissJatti

MissJatti

Psychic Spy

• 1,355 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

ok, it seems like the plausible explanation of the flatwoods monster could may well be an owl....................................BUT!!! what the bloody hell is the thing, in the picture I posted above, that the monster quest depicted

Posted Image

#7    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,708 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

A bunch of kids and their mom, fueled by the cold war era space stories, see and owl, and lose their ****.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#8    Overdueleaf

Overdueleaf

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

View PostSkeptcByMindBelievrByHeart, on 20 January 2013 - 02:14 PM, said:

ok, it seems like the plausible explanation of the flatwoods monster could may well be an owl....................................BUT!!! what the bloody hell is the thing, in the picture I posted above, that the monster quest depicted

the results of on over active imagination and an adreneline rush brought on by being scared... by those that supposedly saw the creature/monster.. im sure they believe they saw what they did.. but i question the accuracy of the eyewitness accounts based on the former statement

Edited by Overdueleaf, 20 January 2013 - 03:21 PM.

Posted Image

Your memory IS foggy. It's the pancakes

#9    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Government Agent

• 3,288 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

Can't really say for certain.  There were many eyewitnesses so I take it more seriously than cases with a single witness.  It apparently didn't like Earth, because it hasn't been seen since. So I would classify it as unknown strangeness, like Mothman, the Dover Demon, etc.

Some guy wrote a book but his website is hard to read. (It needs a web designer): http://www.flatwoods...dsmonster.com  

I do like the action figures a toymaker came up with. (Monster pictured with friend Mothman).  
Posted Image

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#10    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,298 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:17 PM

Generally, I am with the Owl theory. And like Mothman, there was not an extended period of time over which the thing was seen. So the number of reports is low and the number of eyewitnesses few.

Personnally to me it has always looked like a robot. If there were any proof of ETs, I'd go with ET Robot first thing.

Posted Image

Edited by DieChecker, 20 January 2013 - 09:19 PM.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#11    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:20 PM

The thing I've always found interesting about the whole Mothman thing was no one mentioned it, reported it or said anything about it until after that bridge collapsed in West Virginia. Then suddenly we had all this stuff come out like a good pooh after taking a laxative.

#12    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:40 PM

View Postkeninsc, on 20 January 2013 - 09:20 PM, said:

The thing I've always found interesting about the whole Mothman thing was no one mentioned it, reported it or said anything about it until after that bridge collapsed in West Virginia. Then suddenly we had all this stuff come out like a good pooh after taking a laxative.

As I stated before,  I spent twenty years living within an hour of Point Pleasant and never heard one conversation about the Mothman, but I did hear conversations about the bridge collapse. Multiple deaths in your area tend to trump myth unless you're under a certain age, imo.

In fact, my West Virginian husband just reminded me we used to fish and camp along the river there with friends when we were dating.
No mothman visit, not once, And not one story of it told around the campfire with a bunch of "locals", either.

Edited by QuiteContrary, 20 January 2013 - 11:48 PM.

#13    Urisk

Urisk

Smiling like a killer

• 1,503 posts

• born to lose
    live to win

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

The Flatwoods Monster to me sounds exactly like something Lovecraft would've come up with.

in fact, kind of reminds me of these buggers... Great Race of Yith.... A little.....

Posted Image

Edited by Urisk, 30 January 2013 - 10:39 PM.

Posted Image

I have seen beyond the bounds of infinity and drawn down daemons from the stars

#14    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:05 AM

Monsters keep competitors away from your still, hikers out of your pot patch, poachers off your land and the kids in bed at night...lol
Goodnight, JohnBoy (he never did climb out a window did he?)

#15    Insanity

Insanity

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

• "Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..." - H.P. Lovecraft, "The Tomb", Published 1922

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:13 AM

View PostUrisk, on 30 January 2013 - 10:37 PM, said:

The Flatwoods Monster to me sounds exactly like something Lovecraft would've come up with.

in fact, kind of reminds me of these buggers... Great Race of Yith.... A little.....

Posted Image

Perhaps, but they were native to Australia.

"We see things only as we are constructed to see them, and can gain no idea of their absolute nature. With five feeble senses we pretend to comprehend the boundlessly complex cosmos, yet other beings with wider, stronger, or different range of senses might not only see very differently the things we see, but might see and study whole worlds of matter, energy, and life which lie close at hand yet can never be detected with the senses we have." - H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond" Published 1934

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users