Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Do Fewer Trees Mean More Death?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:21 AM

When a forest service researcher realized that the loss of 100 million trees infested by the emerald ash borer could present a unique opportunity to learn more about the value of trees, he probably didn’t expect to find such dramatic effects of treeless streets.
But in the neighborhoods hit by the beetle that kills ash trees, researchers noticed a stark rise in human mortality from cardiovascular and lower respiratory disease: there were 15,000 more deaths from cardiovascular disease, or 16.7 additional deaths per year per 100,000 adults, and 6,000 more deaths from lower respiratory disease than in unaffected areas, or 6.8 additional deaths per year per 100,000 adults.

http://news.discover...eath-130118.htm

#2    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 10,629 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

It just shows how much we need to protect our environment.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#3    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 12,064 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

This is an example of what is called ecosystem services and it amounts to billions of pounds worth of benefits we recieve each year.
Unfortunately most people are blissfully unaware of how much we depend on the Environment for our general health and wellbeing.

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users