Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

How wasps and fungi can save crops

wasps crops sao paulo

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,489 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

Blinking in the blazing Brazilian sun, a farmer looks up at the sound of an aeroplane, flying low over his sugarcane plantation in Sao Paulo.

A hatch suddenly opens, and a white cloud emerges.

It may look like pesticide, but these are live eggs falling down - from wasps.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-21043896

Posted Image

#2    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,891 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

While I can certainly see the use of one bug to get rid of another bug, I think it's important that bugs which are native to the area are used, just in abundance. Otherwise you have a major problem with an invasive species.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#3    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,766 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

View PostLady Kasey, on 22 January 2013 - 04:03 PM, said:

While I can certainly see the use of one bug to get rid of another bug, I think it's important that bugs which are native to the area are used, just in abundance. Otherwise you have a major problem with an invasive species.

And what happens when these wasps in their turn become pests that need eradicating?

"Blinking in the blazing Brazilian sun, a farmer looks up at the sound of an aeroplane, flying low over his sugarcane plantation in Sao Paulo.

A hatch suddenly opens, and a white cloud emerges.

It may look like pesticide, but these are jars of strawberry jam."

"G a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnwan n gef!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".

"I was born with a priceless gift - the ability to laugh at other peoples' troubles" - Dame Edna Everage

#4    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,228 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:00 PM

I hope they aren't sorry they did this and it doesn't start destroying beneficial bugs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users