Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Meningitis B vaccine gets European licence

bexsero vaccine meningitis b

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#31    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:40 PM

View PostCopasetic, on 28 January 2013 - 10:54 PM, said:

Yes (see my above post for more info as well). In the US we have about 3-4,000 cases of meningiococcial infections a year. Are most common serogroups are A, Y and B, IIRC. Even treated meningiococial meningitis (well really all bacterial meningitis) has a mortality rate somewhere between 10-20%, which is scary high. Think about that, that means that even despite aggressive medical treatment potentially 1 in 5 people that get it will die anyway.

Ifink, iirc, parts of Europe have larger problems with group B than we have here in the states. And I remember that in other parts of the world meningiococcial infections are as high as 17-20 per 100,000 (vs the 1-2 per 100,000 we have in the US).

So yes, this is a good thing and will save many lives. I just hope it gets licensed in the US. The FDA is pretty stingy about licensing vaccines developed in other countries here, even ones in the EU and even ones with lots of evidence supporting their use :no:

Thanks. It's quite refreshing to find in this thread someone who has replied to me without sarcasm, insults, or a general tone of 'the guy I'm replying to is an idiot' throughout the post.

Edited by ExpandMyMind, 31 January 2013 - 08:41 PM.

#32    FurthurBB

FurthurBB

Government Agent

• 3,380 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:04 PM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 31 January 2013 - 08:40 PM, said:

Thanks. It's quite refreshing to find in this thread someone who has replied to me without sarcasm, insults, or a general tone of 'the guy I'm replying to is an idiot' throughout the post.

It is especially annoying when it comes from someone who constantly shows they have no earthly clue what they are talking about no matter their credentials.

#33    bmk1245

bmk1245

puny village idiot

• 4,117 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:32 PM

View PostCopasetic, on 30 January 2013 - 05:54 PM, said:

[...]
To keep this on topic, why don't you show us the evidence of acupuncture treating bacterial (specifically lets say meningiococcial) meningitis. Or maybe your herbs?
Apparently, there isn't much. Just hot air, and nothing substantial.

Arguing with fool is like playing chess with pigeon: he will scatter pieces, peck King's crown, crap on bishop, and fly away bragging how he won the game... (heard once, author unknown).
Zhoom! What was that? That was your life, Mate! Oh, that was quick. Do I get another? Sorry, Mate. That's your lot. Basil Fawlty (John Cleese).
If yesterday you would have stood up proud. Then why tonight have you thrown in with the stoning crowd? (Cradle of Filth)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users