Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Why Is The NRA So Powerful?

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#46    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,843 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:58 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 24 January 2013 - 08:58 PM, said:

The Wall Street Journal does not seem to agree with you. I know, they are also just America bashing...
I didn't say there were 10 industries that we aren't #1 anymore.   I said there are industries that we are.

"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#47    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,843 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:05 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 24 January 2013 - 08:59 PM, said:

Then read it again.
There is no other country that beats the US in corn production or in corn exports.   Grovel with it.

Combining random countries together to pit against the US to smear the country you live in at every rhetorical opportunity isn't saying much.

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#48    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,843 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:07 PM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 24 January 2013 - 09:26 PM, said:

The NRA is so powerful because... ...They have lots of guns? :)
No they're powerful for the same reasons that AIPAC is powerful.

The difference is, guns are mentioned in our Constitution.  Israel isn't.

#49    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,603 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

View PostYamato, on 24 January 2013 - 09:58 PM, said:

I didn't say there were 10 industries that we aren't #1 anymore.   I said there are industries that we are.

And you could mention one (excluding Coca-Cola and Pepsi-Cola)?

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#50    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,763 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

Actually, if you want to talk about political power, let's talk about unions.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#51    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,094 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:38 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 24 January 2013 - 09:18 PM, said:

I wish they would actually do something to ensure that the second amendment is not abolished instead of blocking any sensible laws put forward to increases gun security. As I said before: If the gun lovers don't work on a solution for the present untenable situation the gun haters will. And guess what we will like better?
again this empty WE. who is WE exactly??? you personaly can't do anything, but i can and i do.

the only way you gunhaters will be happy if there are no guns, you can tell me anything you want, but it will all be another lie.
there will always be crimes with guns, and you will always blame guns, no matter what, and always say gunowners don't do enough to ensure everyones safety,  so instead of trying to do imposible, and  make you happy, i'm gonna be making myself happy, by paying $$$ to nra, so they can buy whatever politician they need to buy, to shut them, and you up.

edit, actually they wont be able to shut you up, but i\we the gunowners, don't care, you are very independent man,as far as us politics goes, nothing depends on you. lol

Edited by aztek, 25 January 2013 - 03:52 PM.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#52    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

View PostYamato, on 24 January 2013 - 10:07 PM, said:

No they're powerful for the same reasons that AIPAC is powerful.

The difference is, guns are mentioned in our Constitution.  Israel isn't.

Was only a joke Yamato. :)

#53    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,603 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

View Postaztek, on 25 January 2013 - 03:38 PM, said:

again this empty WE. who is WE exactly??? you personaly can't do anything, but i can and i do.

the only way you gunhaters will be happy if there are no guns, you can tell me anything you want, but it will all be another lie.
there will always be crimes with guns, and you will always blame guns, no matter what, and always say gunowners don't do enough to ensure everyones safety,  so instead of trying to do imposible, and  make you happy, i'm gonna be making myself happy, by paying $$$ to nra, so they can buy whatever politician they need to buy, to shut them, and you up.

edit, actually they wont be able to shut you up, but i\we the gunowners, don't care, you are very independent man,as far as us politics goes, nothing depends on you. lol

I don't know where you get the title "gunhater" from, surely can only be that you have been reading my posts under the influence. I have nothing against guns, I just want people to handle them responsibly and be held seriously accountable for failing to do so.

The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#54    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,763 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

Let's also keep in mind that many groups make a good deal of money by positioning the NRA as the big bad.

Funny story - my first wife was a big lib and into pretty much any left wing cause.

One day (mid 1990s) she got two solicitations in the mail - one from the Brady Campaign and one from PETA.

The Brady letter was all about how they had the NRA on the ropes, membership was dropping, they were losing their influence in Washington, etc and with your donation, they might finally be able to end the NRAs scourge on humanity.

The PETA letter was about how they needed her help trying to stop the all-powerful NRA that had its icy hands around the necks of thousands of federal and state politicians as it carried out its wholesale genocide against animals.

I pretty much peed myself laughing so hard.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#55    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,603 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:51 PM

View PostRafterman, on 25 January 2013 - 04:49 PM, said:

Let's also keep in mind that many groups make a good deal of money by positioning the NRA as the big bad.

Funny story - my first wife was a big lib and into pretty much any left wing cause.

One day (mid 1990s) she got two solicitations in the mail - one from the Brady Campaign and one from PETA.

The Brady letter was all about how they had the NRA on the ropes, membership was dropping, they were losing their influence in Washington, etc and with your donation, they might finally be able to end the NRAs scourge on humanity.

The PETA letter was about how they needed her help trying to stop the all-powerful NRA that had its icy hands around the necks of thousands of federal and state politicians as it carried out its wholesale genocide against animals.

I pretty much peed myself laughing so hard.

I did too, except on the Brady Bill part. The only gun law enacted that demonstrably led to a reduction in gun violence.

about me

#56    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,763 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 25 January 2013 - 04:51 PM, said:

I did too, except on the Brady Bill part. The only gun law enacted that demonstrably led to a reduction in gun violence.

Correct - because of the background checks which are fully supported by the majority of law abiding gun owners and the NRA.

#57    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,603 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

View PostRafterman, on 25 January 2013 - 04:58 PM, said:

Correct - because of the background checks which are fully supported by the majority of law abiding gun owners and the NRA.

Not really, they went to court against it

about me

#58    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,094 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:12 PM

well bills are tricky things, bill about  problem A might have a tiny bit of problem B in it. and since the bill passed or failed as a whole, not in parts, normaly. me being agains part B, makes it look like i'm against problem A as well, which is not the case.

there was a bill, waiting period, background checks, so nra fought it as a whole, even if they are agree to background checks, but not to waiting period, it gives gunhaters reason to say  big evil nra don't want the checks.
2 kind of ppl do that, stupid ones, and smart liers, that expect dumb ppl, not to get into details, and fall for their lies.

Edited by aztek, 25 January 2013 - 05:21 PM.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#59    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,603 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

View Postaztek, on 25 January 2013 - 05:12 PM, said:

read your link, nra was against 5 day waiting period, not background checks.

And what good is a half baked background check? Right, it would have been toothless. You can claim that you are as much in favor of any law when you at the same time hamper its effective implementation? Besides, they funded campaigns against the whole bill, not any provision in it. In fact, in Printz VS. USA they even attempted to make the whole federal mandated background check unconstitutional. And they even pulled it off... too bad for them  that the background checks were so effective that most states kept them.

about me

#60    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,094 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 25 January 2013 - 05:20 PM, said:

USA they even attempted to make the whole federal mandated background check unconstitutional. And they even pulled it off... too bad for them  that the background checks were so effective that most states kept them.
of couse thay did, like i said they had to fight bill as a whole, even if only some parts they are opposed to.

RESIDENT TROLL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users