Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Magical beings such as elves or fairies

elves fairies forests

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#16    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,867 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:30 AM

I was thinking about this the other day and my 1 1/2 year old son is like 30 inches tall, yet has language, tool use, social skills and basically everything that would be needed to survive, except a good way to avoid predators. So, thinking there are little people who could exist seems not so much about size, as it is about historical/archeological evidence.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#17    Urisk

Urisk

Motorhead for life!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

• Outgunned, outnumbered, though never outclassed

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

Well they were certainly real up to about 100 years ago... at least to many folk. I suppose that's about as concrete an answer as can be given.

A stream with strong undercurrents, or a large loch with similar, or a particularly apparent thermocline... well of course that'd house a dreaded kelpie. Steep, rocky mountainsides... Of course nasty beasties like the Fachan of Glen Etive. You get my drift... I can't explain brownies though, perhaps there was a call for people breaking into your house and doing your chores overnight? Maybe burglars were far more civil and well-intentioned back then?

Posted Image

I have seen beyond the bounds of infinity and drawn down daemons from the stars

#18    morino

morino

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

• When fire rains down from the sky mankind will reap what it has sown...

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:31 AM

yes,they do exist.there are spirits all 'round us but u can't see them.some people have what they call''a 3rd eye'' which makes them see what the average person doesn't.in all shapes,sorts and sizes.elves and fairies belong to the category ''earthspirits''.other elemental spirits are fire,water-and airspirits.

#19    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:54 AM

I play an elf in my computer. Another way things are real. Fantasy comes in many forms. But yes the spirit world is full of these things. They just dont like the world we live in. Wonder why ?

#20    No Censorship

No Censorship

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 2,784 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:03 AM

I think that the fables and folklore were based on humans. Larger people came into contact with smaller people, who seemed mysterious to them. There may be an alien connection too. That's a secondary explanation, though.

There is one reality with billions of versions.

#21    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:58 PM

View PostTrakkia, on 23 January 2013 - 03:01 AM, said:

well, we have tall people, short people, people with broad shoulders, people with big jaws, why not people with pointy ears? All they have to do is wear a hat. In fact, I bet that's why hipsters wear hats and scarves and stuff, they'r hiding pointy ears! But seriously, point ears is plausible, some race of humanoids could have existed with pointy ears at some point, then people decided to breed with with them, or kill them, and flushed out that gene, just like big browed neanderthals went bye bye. If they lived in a time where people made stories and then died out before now, we'd be hearing about 'Mr. Bigbrows' in fairy tails, probably taking on the roll of a grumpy troll or something.

As for dwarves, well I'm pretty sure that came from short people, who were likely outcast-you know, racism, it most likely existed back when the idea came about- and made their own little towns. Isn't there a condition to do with people being short due to their genes with something resembling 'dwarf' in the name? Not sure how this is much of a myth to be honest... Bar the idea of super strength or something, from some stories I've heard; but look at other things in history shrouded in mystery, people make up crazy things about them. Ever heard of ninjas?

The grim reaper is some creepy guy who decided to invent Halloween, but it went horribly wrong so someone else did.
Fairies.... I have no idea, I'd put it down to mushrooms...

But if they existed in all their magical prowess, I'd happily go to live with them, as someone said earlier.

Anyways, dwarves are just short people, elves could have had a gene that makes them have pointy ears -like features found in different ethnic groups that define them-, then the rest was superstition when they cut themselves off or from stories which were exaggerated after the gene disappeared, probably when mother nature realised pointed ears don't really aid hearing and will likely get you killed by the church -back then, that is. That's probably why they disappeared if they ever existed, and since ears don't have bones if we found elf bones we wouldn't know it.
I think the word is Dwarfism that your looking for

View Postmodas, on 26 January 2013 - 12:00 PM, said:

I do kind of beleave in some of folk creatures who live in other dimentions but i think it's a side efect of playing to much dragon age (for those who don't know it it's a briliant video game).
I prefer Skyrim myself

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#22    ali smack

ali smack

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

• If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

I don't believe in faeries, elves, pixies, etc
I think they are just folklore like goblins, and trolls.

#23    rashore

rashore

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,274 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

View Postali smack, on 17 February 2013 - 11:40 AM, said:

I don't believe in faeries, elves, pixies, etc
I think they are just folklore like goblins, and trolls.

Hehehe. Goblins and trolls are faeries just like elves and pixies are.

Your ad hominem connotes your sciolism. Now that is some funny commentary.

#24    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 10,306 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:59 PM

Fairies are not as nice as some people think. Many a child had been killed because their parents thought the fairies had stolen their babies and the baby was now the demon.

#25    Lumpino

Lumpino

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:47 PM

View Poststarshiner, on 22 January 2013 - 10:03 PM, said:

I have always been interested in then subject of magical beings but never followed through with my curiosity, what are your views ?

What about to try a meditation. About a fairy. But, about  some fairy from some myths. Hindu, Greece and so on.
I tried for example evocation of Circe (Greece myth) and she came in the form of visible. I think that fairies are astral beings.

Edited by Lumpino, 24 February 2013 - 08:01 PM.

#26    VERsponsible

VERsponsible

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 08:57 PM

I myself believe in Faeries. I've also had a few experiences with Faeries. For instance, One day I grabbed my wallet out of my purse and left the room for ten minutes. I came back and my wallet was gone! I was the only one in my room and everyone else was in the living room (where I was when I left). A few days go by and I still haven't found it. My mom suggests for me to look under my bird's cage and I thought it was stupid but looked anyways. Sure enough, my wallet was there, behind a shoe box, against the wall. There's no possible way that could've happened naturally. I told my friend this while my wallet was still missing and she thought it was Faeries.

Another was when I got a string of bells to put up in my room. I'm constantly hearing them go off! It's the Faeries, man!

And to answer the question you're all probably thinking, NO! I do NOT do drugs or drink!!

#27    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 4,495 posts

• If not watched closely, the seed of violence can utterly consume you.

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:33 PM

I never entertained the idea that elves, fairies, dragons and the like were ever real. I never even pretended as a child they were, talk of such things simply was never encouraged, reality was.
They're nice stories but that is all they are, stories.

#28    PersonFromPorlock

PersonFromPorlock

Pooseycat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

• Few things do more harm than the belief that life should be Dramatic.

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:51 PM

Nah. Winos and bag ladies, the lot of 'em. You ever notice how you never see their ears?

#29    VERsponsible

VERsponsible

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:20 AM

View PostPersonFromPorlock, on 05 October 2013 - 09:51 PM, said:

Nah. Winos and bag ladies, the lot of 'em. You ever notice how you never see their ears?

Please explain.

#30    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 10,306 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:25 AM

View PostRonnie1321, on 05 October 2013 - 08:57 PM, said:

I myself believe in Faeries. I've also had a few experiences with Faeries. For instance, One day I grabbed my wallet out of my purse and left the room for ten minutes. I came back and my wallet was gone! I was the only one in my room and everyone else was in the living room (where I was when I left). A few days go by and I still haven't found it. My mom suggests for me to look under my bird's cage and I thought it was stupid but looked anyways. Sure enough, my wallet was there, behind a shoe box, against the wall. There's no possible way that could've happened naturally. I told my friend this while my wallet was still missing and she thought it was Faeries.

Another was when I got a string of bells to put up in my room. I'm constantly hearing them go off! It's the Faeries, man!

And to answer the question you're all probably thinking, NO! I do NOT do drugs or drink!!
You left the room for 10 minutes, there is your answer.
As for bells making sounds, thats what happens, especially if there is a draught around. Please do not say you do not have any draughts around, you must open the window once in a while?
You need to read up on the origins of the story about fairies, not as pretty and dainty as people make them out. Personally I do not belive in them, it is an old superstition where many a child was murdered because of it......not nice.

Edited by freetoroam, 06 October 2013 - 08:26 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users