Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Capitalism is a Cult

jugoso

Capitalism is a cult. It is devoted to the ideals of privatization over the common good, profit over social needs, and control by a small group of people who defy the public's will. The tenets of the cult lead to extremes rather than to compromise. Examples are not hard to find.

1. Extremes of Income

By sitting on their growing investments, the richest five Americans made almost $7 billion each in one year. That's $3,500,000.00 per hour. The minimum wage for tipped workers is $2.13 per hour.

2. Extremes of Wealth

The combined net worth of the world's 250 richest individuals is more than the total annual living expenses of almost half the world - three billion people.

3. Extremes of Debt

Up until the 1970s U.S. households had virtually no debt. Now the total is $13 trillion, which averages out to $100,000 per American family.

4. Extremes of Health Care

A butler in black vest and tie passed the atrium waterfall and entered the $2,400 suite, where the linens were provided by the high-end bedding designer Frette of Italy and the bathroom glimmered with polished marble. Inside a senior financial executive awaited his 'concierge' doctor for private treatment.

5. Extremes of Justice

William James Rummel stole $80 with a credit card, then passed a bad check for $24, then refused to return $120 for a repair job gone bad. He got life in prison. Christopher Williams is facing over 80 years in prison for selling medical marijuana in Montana, a state which allows medical marijuana

Banking giant HSBC, whose mission statement urges employees "to act with courageous integrity" in all they do, was described by a U.S. Senate report as having "exposed the U.S. financial system to 'a wide array of money laundering, drug trafficking, and terrorist financing'" in their dealings with Mexico's Sinaloa cartel, which is considered the deadliest drug gang in the world.

HSBC received a fine equivalent to four weeks' profits. The bank's CEO said, "we are profoundly sorry."

More: http://www.commondre...view/2013/01/21

Edit: Wasn´t really sure which category to post this in and it is not specific to US and Americas

Edited by jugoso
  • Like 1

Capitalism is 'the Carrot and the Stick' economy. When at the end of the day the donkey (average worker) can finally get the carrot (paycheque) that it's been promised all day for doing the work.

The farmer (the carrot supplier) also doesn't benefit that much, nor the stick maker. The only person that benefits substanstially is the person that combines the donkey, the stick and the carrot.

More often than not, that person 'inherited' the position.

• Like 1

Capitalism is a cult. It is devoted to the ideals of privatization over the common good, profit over social needs, and control by a small group of people who defy the public's will. The tenets of the cult lead to extremes rather than to compromise.

You can almost describe it as a satanic cult, it's really designed to exploit humanity both materially and spiritually.

• Like 5

'Carrot and Stick' should not be confused for, 'Carrot or Stick'. In the latter, it means either, 'Reward' or 'Beat'.

In the former, the stick is used like a fishing rod to dangle a carrot in front of the donkey. This keeps the donkey moving forward.

I thought that I'd iron that out, before there was a misunderstanding.

Edit to clarify.

Edited by Likely Guy

I don't know.

But I'm going to predict that this thread will soon devolve into a discussion about the 'Global Economic Elite', the 'New World Order', the 'Illuminati', the 'Bilderberg Group', etc.

If anyone wants to discuss real economic theory, I'll be sitting by the window. :)

Those who 'feel' they are against Capitalism need to remember that in a free market capitalism system you have the right to engage in the market. You have the right to work for yourself. Nobody is forcing you to work for an employer and cry about what you make compared to those who built the business.

Okay, those 'who built the business', or those that inherited it?'. I have great faith in the self made entrepeneur.

You also said, "Nobody is forcing you to work for an employer". But, if everyone was an employer, how would the work get done?

Those who 'feel' they are against Capitalism need to remember that in a free market capitalism system you have the right to engage in the market. You have the right to work for yourself. Nobody is forcing you to work for an employer and cry about what you make compared to those who built the business. I work for myself... I have for over ten years now. Am I extremely wealthy? No Do I own a house or expensive toys? No Am I jealous of those who are wealthy? No. I'm happy being my own boss. I live within my means.... never owned a credit card in my life and don't owe a cent to anybody. I'm in control of my life because I chose to do something I'm good at and created a business where I don't work for anybody except the tax man.... just like everybody else.

What I don't like is GOV inflating the money supply effecting the purchasing power of the dollar I earn That makes me mad. I think its what makes everybody else mad who thinks its Capitalism that's the problem.

I do somewhat agree with most of what you said. It would be fine if these people put back into the community most of what they get. Which I believe is more than anyone could need. Which more than often is obtained undeservedly and unfairly.

A lot of people seem to think they are deserving of this money and they "earned" it. It seems a lot of people are fine with polishing these people's shoes while being treated like an object. Money only exists due to the structure of how our society is comprised, you let that overtake who you are and your morals, it will just start to eat away. If you think anyone needs let alone deserves millions of dollars a year to spend on themselves I will ask you to wake up.

Look at some of the richest people in the world. Some of them actually starting to acknowledge it. Look at Bill Gates, Warren Buffet as some examples. Make millions and put some back into the community, what good is it for anyone to add to a pile of more money? If they are feeling empty and they feel that is all they have, throwing money into a bottomless void won't help them.

Look at what is happening to the world as a result of this greed for money. The people in charge of all this money aren't doing the right things and we can see the problems it is causing, just look at the news.

• Like 3

Okay, those 'who built the business', or those that inherited it?'. I have great faith in the self made entrepeneur.

You also said, "Nobody is forcing you to work for an employer". But, if everyone was an employer, how would the work get done?

Work would get done... haha.... The self made self employed individual achieves their goal by working and learning from others.

• Like 2

Work would get done... haha.... The self made self employed individual achieves their goal by working and learning from others.

I'm sorry Acidhead. I see what you're saying, but I could also see it as, "Screw the young and the uninitiated... they'll learn after we profit. Or not."

So, do you subscribe to, 'bootstrap' economics?

We live in a generation were ones parents hoped to see us better off then themselves and it rarely happens now. We don`t see to many mid 20 yr olds buying houses and starting a family with a stay at home mom. Its about other people raising your children using the t.v. as a baby sitter and the internet as the educator. In the last 30 yrs we have seen a fundimental change in how kids will transform into adults.

Edited by The Silver Thong
  • Like 7

I'm sorry Acidhead. I see what you're saying, but I could also see it as, "Screw the young and the uninitiated... they'll learn after we profit. Or not."

So, do you subscribe to, 'bootstrap' economics?

What is 'bootstrap economics'?

We live in a generation were ones parents hoped to see us better off then themselves and it rarely happens now. We don`t see to many mid 20 yr olds buying houses and starting a family with a stay at home mom. Its about other people raising your children using the t.v. as a baby sitter and the internet as the educator. In the last 30 yrs we have seen a fundimental change in how kids will transform into adults.

We're drinkin the same juice tonight Silver.

• Like 1

We're drinkin the same juice tonight Silver.

We usually do lol I cant imagine being a 10 yr old in 1982 compared to today. 30 Years wow what change.

• Like 2

What is 'bootstrap economics'?

It's the economic philosophy that, "If I pulled myself up by my own bootstraps and become a millionaire, therefore, anyone else can."

I'm not saying you did, I'm just asking if you believe.

The only thing wrong with capitalism is the capitalists. They’re too damned greedy.” - Herbert Hoover

It's true, mainly with big corporations and the mafias - small business owners, not so much in most cases. Small business owners don't always suceed, they have a small chance of making it bigtime and can barely keep their heads above water. But with corporations, much like the mafia, take advantge of people 90% of the time. That's why democrats try to regulate them, keep them from running over people for profits.

We usually do lol I cant imagine being a 10 yr old in 1982 compared to today. 30 Years wow what change.

The more it changes the more it stays the same.

lol

The only thing wrong with capitalism is the capitalists. They’re too damned greedy.” - Herbert Hoover

It's true, mainly with big corporations and the mafias - small business owners, not so much in most cases. Small business owners don't always suceed, they have a small chance of making it bigtime and can barely keep their heads above water. But with corporations, much like the mafia, take advantge of people 90% of the time. That's why democrats try to regulate them, keep them from running over people for profits.

Whatever!

The D's just like the R's both use the GOV to enrich those who you oppose.

• Like 2

Not even 30 years, try even 2 years. I'm turning 21 this year and wow, what a difference even in such a small period of time. We can't do what used to be done 30 years ago (move out, buy a house, etc). The world has changed in a way you need that actual money trough inheritance. These days it is so much harder to get even a small business to grow and expand. The legal system, control of goods etc is all in the favour of the big companies. A sad reality but that's how it is these days.

To be honest whether it is 2 years or 30, all I am seeing is social degradation. More steps back than steps forward in that aspect.

• Like 2

Not even 30 years, try even 2 years. I'm turning 21 this year and wow, what a difference even in such a small period of time. We can't do what used to be done 30 years ago (move out, buy a house, etc). The world has changed in a way you need that actual money trough inheritance. These days it is so much harder to get even a small business to grow and expand. The legal system, control of goods etc is all in the favour of the big companies. A sad reality but that's how it is these days.

To be honest whether it is 2 years or 30, all I am seeing is social degradation. More steps back than steps forward in that aspect.

I see a more right wing stance now even with Obama. The 70-80`s were very liberal after the botched vietnam war crap. Being 10 in 1982 was freedom pure.

I think that was my, "You didn't build that moment',.

lol

Whatever!

The D's just like the R's both use the GOV to enrich those who you oppose.

Some Dem's do, yes...but not all. Depends on what type of Democrat your talking about, conservative, moderate, progressive. (Btw, I'm not a Democrat, Republican or Libertarian. And don't care to be.)

• Like 1

I see a more right wing stance now even with Obama. The 70-80`s were very liberal after the botched vietnam war crap. Being 10 in 1982 was freedom pure.

The problem with today is people letting the government walk all over them.

• Like 2