Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

I am officially done with all politics

Ultima Weapon

Honestly I'm just done fighting over politics nowadays.

I originally registered as a Democrat, yet don't really believe a majority of that Democratic agenda now. I like some of the conservative values of Republicans, but unlike them I don't think they should be forced on people as law. The divide between Democrats and Republicans is just getting waaaaay too big and there's just no more room for guys like me in the middle.

Unlike the hate mongoring Republicans, I like Obama as a person really, and think he's an honest good man doing what he thinks is best. What really is best: don't really know since nearly all news sources seem to be nothing but pure bias, most of which really shouldn't be broadcast as factual "News" anyway. All I know is that it appears most of the Republicans nowadays (such as Romney who I definately don't like as a person) are just flat out apathetical and hateful toward everything while the Democrats just keep silently going about their business pushing their agenda regardless of whether people like or agree with them or not. Worst of all, neither party will compromise on one single frickin' thing.

Democrats just think everything's acceptible and Republicans are just so full of nothin' but hate and intolerance.

I can't just sit down and have a lively political debate with anyone anymore, no, It always has to turn into a loud obnoxious screaming cuss fight. If I so much as mention that I happen to like Obama okay, I get treated like I'm the flippin' antichrist.

Both parties are going more and more extreme every day. One keeps going left, the other keeps going right, and most importantly, neither one is even willing so much as to stop for once in the middle to help settle things.

I know most probably will get hateful and won't believe me, but I'm actually not that strong of a democrat. I'm a devout Christian who believes in some pretty strong values, such as my stances against abortion and stem cell research, to name a couple. I just happen to sorta lean toward Democrat more than Republican. Is that really so wrong? Apparently, since I get talked down to every day by a bunch of backwoods redneck conservatives that think that just because I like Obama I'm the child of friggin' Satan himself. I'm just so SICK OF IT!!

Therefore I am officially DONE with all politics whatsoever. Until there is once again some civilized, compromised, debating without name calling and with a little more middle ground, I am an official non-voter and associated with absolutely no political party, not even independent, at the current moment in time. I will be calling the city office first thing tomorrow morning and start asking about removing me from the voter registry. Thank you and good night.

• Like 2

The two main parties seem the exact same to me tbh.

• Like 1

Ever heard of the Libertarian Party?

Missing my point. I'm done with ALL politics, "Libertarian" or not.

Honestly I'm just done fighting over politics nowadays...

...Therefore I am officially DONE with all politics whatsoever. Until there is once again some civilized, compromised, debating without name calling and with a little more middle ground, I am an official non-voter and associated with absolutely no political party, not even independent, at the current moment in time. I will be calling the city office first thing tomorrow morning and start asking about removing me from the voter registry. Thank you and good night.

Feeling like you do, it's best to remain apolitical.

@ Acidhead: Libertarians are not apolitical.

Calling conservatives a bunch of backwoods rednecks isn't exactly the path to civilized conversation. From my run-ins with you you have been pretty slanted and definitely were cause for a debate reaction. I agree with your overall point but I wouldn't exactly say that you've led by example so don't put yourself on a pedestal. I'm not claiming innocence myself either btw.

• Like 2

Your problem is that you are seeing groups as a whole instead of the individuals within those groups. Like you, there are thousands upon thousands of citizens who probably think the same way or feel the same way you do. The problem is that we have one person to voice our whole group, which makes it seem like everyone within that group is that way. The government we have is fundamentally flawed. The current people in charge doesn't require our votes or our voices to pass along laws that they feel is right or wrong, which leaves us in the predicament where they can be swayed away from their original views. That is why most campaign promises are not kept. Unless we can have a system that effectively represents our people, then we are basically just throwing rocks at a wall and not getting anywhere because those in charge feel they lead us, instead of us leading them in the right direction.

• Like 3

Honestly I'm just done fighting over politics nowadays.

I originally registered as a Democrat, yet don't really believe a majority of that Democratic agenda now. I like some of the conservative values of Republicans, but unlike them I don't think they should be forced on people as law. The divide between Democrats and Republicans is just getting waaaaay too big and there's just no more room for guys like me in the middle.

Unlike the hate mongoring Republicans, I like Obama as a person really, and think he's an honest good man doing what he thinks is best. What really is best: don't really know since nearly all news sources seem to be nothing but pure bias, most of which really shouldn't be broadcast as factual "News" anyway. All I know is that it appears most of the Republicans nowadays (such as Romney who I definately don't like as a person) are just flat out apathetical and hateful toward everything while the Democrats just keep silently going about their business pushing their agenda regardless of whether people like or agree with them or not. Worst of all, neither party will compromise on one single frickin' thing.

Democrats just think everything's acceptible and Republicans are just so full of nothin' but hate and intolerance.

I can't just sit down and have a lively political debate with anyone anymore, no, It always has to turn into a loud obnoxious screaming cuss fight. If I so much as mention that I happen to like Obama okay, I get treated like I'm the flippin' antichrist.

Both parties are going more and more extreme every day. One keeps going left, the other keeps going right, and most importantly, neither one is even willing so much as to stop for once in the middle to help settle things.

I know most probably will get hateful and won't believe me, but I'm actually not that strong of a democrat. I'm a devout Christian who believes in some pretty strong values, such as my stances against abortion and stem cell research, to name a couple. I just happen to sorta lean toward Democrat more than Republican. Is that really so wrong? Apparently, since I get talked down to every day by a bunch of backwoods redneck conservatives that think that just because I like Obama I'm the child of friggin' Satan himself. I'm just so SICK OF IT!!

Therefore I am officially DONE with all politics whatsoever. Until there is once again some civilized, compromised, debating without name calling and with a little more middle ground, I am an official non-voter and associated with absolutely no political party, not even independent, at the current moment in time. I will be calling the city office first thing tomorrow morning and start asking about removing me from the voter registry. Thank you and good night.

I'm pretty much done with politics too. But my reason is quite different from yours. As per the bold sentence in your post, I view it as quite the opposite. They are so much the same it is frightening. They both pit us against each other at every turn, Black vs White, Rich vs Poor, Democrat vs Republican. The truth is more that there is only one party...The Washington Party...the rest of us are just fly over country.

• Like 2

Feeling like you do, it's best to remain apolitical.

@ Acidhead: Libertarians are not apolitical.

How so? Can you provide an example?

Calling conservatives a bunch of backwoods rednecks isn't exactly the path to civilized conversation. From my run-ins with you you have been pretty slanted and definitely were cause for a debate reaction. I agree with your overall point but I wouldn't exactly say that you've led by example so don't put yourself on a pedestal. I'm not claiming innocence myself either btw.

As far as backwoods rednecks are concerned, that's simply based on statistics and personal experiences. Haven't met a single Republican that wasn't one.

Also, I didn't post this to "put myself on a pedestal." I was irritated and finally made a big decision to back down from politics. Therefore I decided to express it, explain it, and vent a little along the way. However yes, on the issues we've discussed, I'll admit I have had a more liberal stance. However that doesn't suddenly reflect what were my overall views.

Edited by AquilaChrysaetos

As far as backwoods rednecks are concerned, that's simply based on statistics and personal experiences. Haven't met a single Republican that wasn't one.

Also, I didn't post this to "put myself on a pedestal." I was irritated and finally made a big decision to back down from politics. Therefore I decided to express it, explain it, and vent a little along the way. However yes, on the issues we've discussed, I'll admit I have had a more liberal stance.

And most liberals I met think we share everything, but they don't realize is that everything has a cost, everything has a limit, and eventually it runs out like my patients for people don't seem to take the time to understand the concepts or logic behind other's reasons.

They are so much the same it is frightening. They both pit us against each other at every turn, Black vs White, Rich vs Poor, Democrat vs Republican. The truth is more that there is only one party...The Washington Party...the rest of us are just fly over country.

I understand where you're coming from. I guess the more extremist you become, more similar you tend to act.

Also, I didn't post this to "put myself on a pedestal." I was irritated and finally made a big decision to back down from politics. Therefore I decided to express it, explain it, and vent a little along the way. However yes, on the issues we've discussed, I'll admit I have had a more liberal stance. However that doesn't suddenly reflect what were my overall views.

Yes. There are many polls where conservatives say they most identify themselves with backwoods rednecks. You know man, that's exactly the kind of speak that ensures division. The tone of your op suggests that you've tried to remain reasonable but since you're doubling down on such an unfounded comment it would seem that you are the very thing you despise.

There are many people I disagree with but can have civil conversations with. It's all in the tone and demeanor. Again, I'm not innocent.

• Like 1

These people in politics both democrats and republicans is like the wwe they fight but are friends they make money hand over foot. All at our expense. Both partys stink

• Like 2

These people in politics both democrats and republicans is like the wwe they fight but are friends they make money hand over foot. All at our expense. Both partys stink

Part of that's due to the fact that they nearly all start out as lawyers... It's just what they do...

Politicians are not limited to votes getting them in office. Most are bought and paid for before they can even try to get a vote. Does the individual still think there vote counts in the US. All presidents since 1963 have been controled by economics not the vote.

• Like 1

You sound just like the thing you hate. bitter politics

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 2

Just for laughs I will say that I have never met a Democrat that wasn't an absolute moron. Not a single one.

Sounds like you just need to meet more people. Either that or you are lying. Not a single Republican that wasn't a backwoods redneck? Really? Oh, I got it, you need to move out of the backwoods.

Do you even know any Republicans? Are you Manti Te'o?

• Like 1

Does the individual still think there vote counts in the US.

I do, that's why I vote.

I'm pretty much done with politics too. But my reason is quite different from yours. As per the bold sentence in your post, I view it as quite the opposite. They are so much the same it is frightening. They both pit us against each other at every turn, Black vs White, Rich vs Poor, Democrat vs Republican. The truth is more that there is only one party...The Washington Party...the rest of us are just fly over country.

Boehner was on TV speaking with Republican groups claiming that Obama is trying to "annihilate the Republican party to the dustbin of history". Which wouldn't be a bad idea, because when there is only one party, there's nothing partisan to waste time and money bickering about. Philosophical differences between our elected officials will actually mean something when there is only one party (i.e. no parties).

The media focuses too heavily on partisanship these days and it's so subtle I don't think most people notice. Wolf Blitzer was doing it tonight repeatedly in reporting on the vast difference in treatment between Republicans and Democrats that Hillary Clinton received in her Benghazi interrogation. So much care, concern and behavior is dependent on party lines, so much information we receive is first strained through a partisan filter, so much attention is paid to party lines that we miss what really matters. Like what policy decisions our State Dept. is making in the wake of Benghazi to prevent another embassy from being attacked again. Wolf didn't even consider that, the political bickering was too important not to focus on. The biggest fireworks of the day were played and replayed on a loop, mainly Clinton losing her temper at Republicans along with the more personally damning comments made against her by Republicans, such as Rand Paul's admission that if she were his Sec. of State he would have fired her.

I remember days when whoever was elected President, for the most part the house, senate, and congress, as well as the American people got behind

the President and got things accomplished.

Today I was talking to a friend and said it seems now, that all they do is fight in the house, senate, and congress, to make the other party look bad. When

election time comes, the people see that and elect the other party as a majority, repeating every so often. Nothing gets done on the scale it could.

I read an editorial the other day, and a Lady said " How dare you elect President Obama, he's blah blah blah. Well how dare her. Yeah basically she's saying

why bother voting, whether she knows it or not.

This is why nothing gets done:

“Ed Rendell, who has criticized the president (objecting, for example, to the Obama campaign's attack on private equity), also argues that Obama has been constrained by an unprecedented obduracy in his Republican opposition. ‘I can't ever recall a newly elected president being faced with the leader of the other party's caucus saying “Our No. 1 priority is to make this president a one-term president,”’ says Rendell, citing the remark made by Mitch McConnell, the Senate minority leader, that exemplified the fierce partisanship that has attended Obama's tenure. ‘That McConnell would say that in the first nine months of Barack Obama's tenure is absolutely stunning, disgraceful, disgusting — you name the term.’”

I seriously doubt in Washington they think we know what goes on, and we do, and the above is sickening. That's probably the reason he did get reelected, this kind of attitude. And If he said that, do you really think he did what was best for America and worked with the President, or to make him look bad, worked against him?

• Like 3

I seriously doubt in Washington they think we know what goes on, and we do, and the above is sickening. That's probably the reason he did get reelected, this kind of attitude. And If he said that, do you really think he did what was best for America and worked with the President, or to make him look bad, worked against him?

I think it is because our society has become Stupid from Reality TV. We now expect everyone to fight with each other all the time. It is all we see on TV. So, naturally we treat the news of the Congress and President acting badly as we would a Reality Show, we consider it entertaining, when we should be considering their representing us to be Deadly Serious.

As to people getting polarized, haven't you seen the Reality TV fanatics? They are crazed for their favorite guy on such and such show and will attack like a rabid wolf anyone who disparages their favorite Reality Star.

We'll have this Stupid Period of politics for quite a while yet, I think. Nothing really good will get done for some time to come.

• Like 1

Sorry AC, but your attitude is hardly conducive to an open and friendly dialogue.