Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

US health worse compared to other countries

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#16    Einsteinium

Einsteinium

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

• "Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others."
    -Buddha

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:58 PM

Our healthcare system is based on profit for sickness. The drug companies, doctors, hospitals, etc. get more money if more people are sick, and if people are kept sick longer. This is a twisted and warped incentive to keep people taking pills, going to the doctor, etc. Does anyone else think that this is just a little messed up?

Capitalism touts the profit incentive as the engine that drives innovation, but when the profit incentive comes at the price of another's health, is that morally right?

On the flip side the insurance companies have incentive to keep you healthy, as they do not want to keep paying for you, so that should be a counter-balance of sorts, but still something is a little off about our healthcare system...

Edited by Einsteinium, 23 January 2013 - 06:00 PM.

#17    Drayno

Drayno

Bounty Hunter

• 3,890 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:20 PM

View PostLilly, on 23 January 2013 - 10:51 AM, said:

Interesting, it appears that older Americans are actually doing better than other countries, but younger Americans are doing far worse:

So, now the question arises as to why the younger Americans are dying at higher rates? Lifestyle choices would be my guess.

One quote can summarize my answer to you, Lilly.

#yolo

"Let us sit upon the ground and tell sad stories of the death of kings."
- William Shakespeare, Richard II, Act III, Scene II
Posted Image

#18    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 20,649 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:47 AM

View Postpreacherman76, on 23 January 2013 - 02:38 PM, said:

Personaly I think a number of things contribute. The older generation didnt eat GM foods from birth. Didnt get injected with anywhere near the amounts of harmfull toxins in vaccines. The older generations didnt deal with as much pollution, nor did they have drug companies pushing all kinds of harmful drugs on them. Family was important to the older generations, while kids for the past 20 or so years have had to deal with things like depression cause of mass divorce, and over all break ups of families. Even on a spiritual level, the older generations were told they were loved by a higher power, and from that had a feeling of self worth. While todays kids are told they are animals, and its survival of the fittest. Thats not to say the older generations were right about that higher power, but you can see how the different mind set could contribute.

My wife has worked for hospice for the last 10 years. She tells me all the time how thier patients are just getting younger and younger with every passing year.

Huh.... You'd think it was the other way round. Most older people (70+) that I know have lots of medications and get several vaccines a year. If it was the medications doing us in, the elderly would be gone quick. The difference is that the Elderly go to see their doctor like 20 times more often then any person under 35. So a 20 year old gets Obese, and gets diabetes, but does nothing about it for 10 years. It is no wonder that our young people are sicker... they are operating out of ignorance. And legislating the size of a soda cup is really just not going to help.

These is just several generations of lazy, entitled young people out there. It is easier for them to sit and play 10 hours of video games, then to actually go out and play football in their 20 foot by 20 foot yard. It is easier to eat stuff already made then to go to the kitchen and even open a can of soup. Lazy is the word of the day here.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#19    preacherman76

preacherman76

Seeker

• 11,485 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

View PostRafterman, on 23 January 2013 - 05:25 PM, said:

Considering there's not a "pee test" for the flu, I would guess that they didn't have the flu.  The rapid tests that doctors perform in office are done by swabbing the back of the throat or nasal passages.

As far as buying organic food is concerned, save your money.  There is no evidence that it is any better or worse for you than the regular stuff.  Corn is corn.

BS there isnt. I watched it happen. It wasnt a test where they send it to a lab. It was more like a pregnancy test where you pee on a stick. It was the first time Ive ever seen it, but it happened. She was even able to tell me the type of flu from it.

Of course there is evidence that GM corn is horrible for consumption. A freakin insect would die after one bite.

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#20    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 8,423 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

We can not deny that medications have helped a lot of people, but then people stuff their faces with junk foods and GM foods, and wonder why they are ill!

Edited by freetoroam, 24 January 2013 - 01:47 PM.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#21    CRYSiiSx2

CRYSiiSx2

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:40 PM

If anyone tries to take my awesome Burger King away, there will be hell to pay.  I'll trade a few health problems for delicious food any day.  Didn't that idiot Michelle Obama ban the sale of more than 1 liter of soda in New York, when she herself is overweight?  Yeah... we sure do have rights lol.

Posted Image
NRA - PROTECT THE 2ND AMENDMENT
my twitter @sktm06

#22    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

View Postpreacherman76, on 24 January 2013 - 01:01 PM, said:

BS there isnt. I watched it happen. It wasnt a test where they send it to a lab. It was more like a pregnancy test where you pee on a stick. It was the first time Ive ever seen it, but it happened. She was even able to tell me the type of flu from it.

Of course there is evidence that GM corn is horrible for consumption. A freakin insect would die after one bite.

http://www.cdc.gov/f...is/rapidlab.htm

Nope, no urine test.  There is a urine test for pneumonia, but not for flu.

And while my corn comment wasn't in reference to GM food (you do know that organic and GM aren't related, right?), I'll still play.  While there is no evidence that organic food is any better or worse for you than non-organic, there is likewise no evidence that GM anything is horrible for consumption.  But please feel free to post your pages of Argumentum ad Monsantium here to prove me wrong.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#23    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 20,649 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:36 AM

View Postpreacherman76, on 24 January 2013 - 01:01 PM, said:

You know that your own eyewitness testimony is only worth what faith others put on it.

I'd never heard of a flu pee test. For discussion purposes it does not exist unless you can reference it....

As to GM foods, that seems to me to still be in Conspiricy-Thead-land. Almost all food we eat today, unless it specifically says otherwise, is GM to some extent.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#24    Tiggs

Tiggs

Relax. It's only me.

• 9,586 posts

• Universe Service Pack 2 still needs patching.

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:17 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 28 January 2013 - 03:36 AM, said:

I'd never heard of a flu pee test. For discussion purposes it does not exist unless you can reference it....

But why would Preacher lie about that?

After a quick bit of internet research - type A influenza appears to increase the amount of Histamines in Urine, so a diagnostic marker exists, at least.

#25    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,463 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:21 AM

Here's what I do know... my daughter, her boyfriend and their three roommates are all between the ages of 19 and 25. Not a single one of them have health insurance but they all work full time. This could be part of the problem.

"It's time for the American people to stand up and shrug off the shackles of our government at TSA at the airport"  Ron Paul

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

#26    preacherman76

preacherman76

Seeker

• 11,485 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

View PostRafterman, on 24 January 2013 - 06:44 PM, said:

http://www.cdc.gov/f...is/rapidlab.htm

Nope, no urine test.  There is a urine test for pneumonia, but not for flu.

And while my corn comment wasn't in reference to GM food (you do know that organic and GM aren't related, right?), I'll still play.  While there is no evidence that organic food is any better or worse for you than non-organic, there is likewise no evidence that GM anything is horrible for consumption.  But please feel free to post your pages of Argumentum ad Monsantium here to prove me wrong.

You mean to tell me that you are so dumb that you couldnt find what just took me litteraly 3 seconds to find, even though you were directly looking for it? My goodness.

Rapid flu tests, otherwise known as influenza rapid antigen tests, offer a quick way to see if your body is harboring a particular strain of influenza virus

Read more: http://www.livestron.../#ixzz2JHZOgYw8

#27    preacherman76

preacherman76

Seeker

• 11,485 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:59 PM

View PostTiggs, on 28 January 2013 - 06:17 AM, said:

After a quick bit of internet research - type A influenza appears to increase the amount of Histamines in Urine, so a diagnostic marker exists, at least.

Thank you Sir. I wouldnt have bothered defending myself if I saw your post.

#28    preacherman76

preacherman76

Seeker

• 11,485 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 28 January 2013 - 03:36 AM, said:

As to GM foods, that seems to me to still be in Conspiricy-Thead-land. Almost all food we eat today, unless it specifically says otherwise, is GM to some extent.

I understand. Most folks wont accept information that doesnt come from main stream. But the links to monsanto and government are litteraly baffling. Now that 0bama has appointed the top CEO of monsanto to the head of the FDA, you can be sure a man who makes millions anualy from said company is in no way going rock the boat. This requires 2 things, a break away from trusting anyone on the subject, and a little common sence. If a insect would die from eating GM corn, cause it produces internaly its own pestecide(sp?) well,,,,,,,,,,,

#29    Purifier

Purifier

Δ

• 2,293 posts

• We don't need to conquer the world, we need to conquer our individual selves first. Then the world will be at peace.

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

"We are what we eat." Take a moment and study other humans around you, their physical appearance healthwise should give you some idea.

Study the past, if you would divine the future.
- Confucius

#30    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 20,649 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

View PostTiggs, on 28 January 2013 - 06:17 AM, said:

Tiggs, I was just meaning to say that unless you can back up what you claim, it may as well not exist. I can claim that I grew back my hair and it was long, dark and wavy, all after taking one pill. But unless I had some reference then it really does not add anything, right?

I only said I'd not heard of it and that for discussion purposes, he should have posted a reference.

Why would he lie? Why do half the posters on these forums lie? Some out of ignorance, some on purpose and some to make a point, but lies get told by the bucketload for lots of reasons.

Should we be Required to go out and verify other's claims?

Edited by DieChecker, 28 January 2013 - 07:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users