Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

are aliens likely to exist or not?

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#1    ali smack

ali smack

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

• If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

what are people's opinions regarding aliens?
do you think they exist?
don't exist?
are visiting us?
not visiting us?

#2    Mnemonix

Mnemonix

Alien Abducter

• Closed
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

It's a big universe, lots of space for possibility.

#3    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Forum Divinity

• 10,566 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

Care to elaborate what you mean by aliens?

#4    Dredimus

Dredimus

Big Brother

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:38 PM

I believe there are other life forms out there... Im not saying i believe that we are being visited by advanced beings who are millions of years ahead of us in technology... but I think there is other life out there.  Here on Earth there is live in the coldest of places and in the most inhospitible of places... miles under water, lifeforms living in sulfuric environments... the chances are just to great for there not to be life elsewhere.

#5    Scepticus

Scepticus

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 321 posts

• Some people are too tired to give you a smile. Give them one of yours, as none needs a smile so much as he who has no more to give

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

I believe in life on other planets, i would even go as far to say i believe in highly intelligent life.

But i don't believe there's highly intelligent life in our solar system or that highly intelligent life is visiting us.

:D

The only way to get smarter is by playing a smarter opponent.

#6    Paxus

Paxus

Poltergeist

• 2,743 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:17 AM

are.
not sure.

#7    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:52 AM

I want to know too. Oh well maybe tomorrow.

#8    shadowlark

shadowlark

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:30 AM

View PostDredimus, on 23 January 2013 - 04:38 PM, said:

I believe there are other life forms out there... Im not saying i believe that we are being visited by advanced beings who are millions of years ahead of us in technology... but I think there is other life out there.  Here on Earth there is live in the coldest of places and in the most inhospitible of places... miles under water, lifeforms living in sulfuric environments... the chances are just to great for there not to be life elsewhere.

^This. :tu:

#9    Verloc

Verloc

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 23 posts

• War....war never changes.

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:50 AM

There are most definately other intelligent species in our galaxy or at least the universe.It is just to immense for there not to be other life.Google the drake equation/theory and you'll see what I mean.Then theres also the Distant Origin theory that "life" or rather the beginning of life, is carried by asteroids and comets throughout the universe, which infers the possibility that life on Earth came from an asteroid or comet and environmental factors on earth was favorable for the development of that life.

This then means that any other planet with favorable conditions will be able to support the development and evolution of life.
As to the question of "Are they here visiting us?", I dont know, I doubt it. But of course I have seen footage of things I cant just deny, so I'm kind of torn on that part of the debate.

#10    psyche101

psyche101

The Customer.

• 38,300 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:55 AM

Nope.

I ate the last one.

Full now.

Posted Image

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#11    S2F

S2F

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 7,321 posts

• I know someday
    you'll have a beautiful life
    I know you'll be a sun
    In somebody else's sky
    But why can't it be mine? -Pearl Jam

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:24 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 25 January 2013 - 07:55 AM, said:

Nope.

I ate the last one.

Full now.

Posted Image

Did you go visit D in Texas already? :lol:

"You want to discuss plausibility then you have to accept reality." -Mattshark

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

#12    S2F

S2F

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 7,321 posts

• I know someday
    you'll have a beautiful life
    I know you'll be a sun
    In somebody else's sky
    But why can't it be mine? -Pearl Jam

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:30 AM

View PostVerloc, on 25 January 2013 - 07:50 AM, said:

Then theres also the Distant Origin theory that "life" or rather the beginning of life, is carried by asteroids and comets throughout the universe, which infers the possibility that life on Earth came from an asteroid or comet and environmental factors on earth was favorable for the development of that life.

Also known as Panspermia.

Panspermia (Greek: πανσπερμία from πᾶς/πᾶν (pas/pan) "all" and σπέρμα (sperma) "seed") is the hypothesis that life exists throughout the Universe, distributed by meteoroids, asteroids and planetoids.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panspermia

I rather like that hypothesis myself, it seems almost elegant and considering the extremes to which life can exist and even thrive I'd say it's a decent contender for the origin of life here. However that still leaves the question of where and how life actually may have originated.

"You want to discuss plausibility then you have to accept reality." -Mattshark

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

#13    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,125 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:37 AM

To take the Questions in order:
?
do you think they exist? Almost certainly.
don't exist? Almost certainly not.
are visiting us? May be, although if they are, it'd probably be for purposes of Scientific research rather than because they'd want to make Contract, I'd sugegst.
not visiting us? Possibly not, although the balance of probability does, I feel, sometimes suggest rather strongly that there do seem to be some things flying about in the Atmosphere that give every impression of being intelligently controlled devices. Beyond that, i would not like to speculate. :innocent:

If, as it seems, we are in the process of becoming a totalitarian society in which the state apparatus is all-powerful, the ethics most important for the survival of the true, free, human individual would be: cheat, lie, evade, fake it, be elsewhere, forge documents, build improved electronic gadgets in your garage that’ll outwit the gadgets used by the authorities.

- Philip K. Dick.

#14    onereaderone

onereaderone

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

• interfacing transdimentional inverse mobius feed back loop

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

if  you  have  a   square   of   green  grass  ,  one  meter  square....   surrounded   by   billions    or  trillions   of  square   kilometers   of  sand  dunes....
all  things  being  equal ,  either  there  is  something  special about  the   1  square  meter  of  grass....   or  there  is  something  very  special  about  every  where  else....

either    something  made   earth   a  really  intresting  place ...    or  they   made  every  where   but  here  empty ....

also...   totaly  unrelated ,   ufo's   seem  to  have  the  ablity  to  ajust  the  time  constant  at  will...   F=Ma  is  not  hard  to  understand ...   and  accelaration   should  not  be  flexible..   unless  you  can   turn   time   into  a variable...

if  you  can  change  the  nature  of  time,  time  travel  is   not  only  likly  ,   it  would  be  a given   .

if  you  can  controll   time   ,  then   going  into  the  past   and  ajusting   civilazations   out  of  exsistance  would  not  be  hard  at  all .

as  a time  traveler...  you  could  quite  easily   remove   every  civilization   for  as  far  as  the  mind  can  reach  ...  into  the  past  ,  and   into  the  future  ,   and  you  have  all  of  time  to  double  check  that  you  didn't  miss  anything...

how  ever ,  your  planet  of  origin   would  need  to  be    very  carefuly  protected  from  any    disturbance....   not  only  from  others  ,  but  you  , yourself  would  need  to  leave  it  un disturbed...

#15    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,117 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

View Postonereaderone, on 25 January 2013 - 11:54 AM, said:

if  you  have  a   square   of   green  grass  ,  one  meter  square....   surrounded   by   billions or  trillions   of  square   kilometers   of  sand  dunes....
all  things  being  equal ,  either  there  is  something  special about  the   1  square  meter  of  grass....   or  there  is  something  very  special  about  every  where  else....

either something  made   earth   a  really  intresting  place ... or  they   made  every  where   but  here  empty ....

also...   totaly  unrelated ,   ufo's   seem  to  have  the  ablity  to  ajust  the  time  constant  at  will...   F=Ma  is  not  hard  to  understand ...   and  accelaration   should  not  be  flexible..   unless  you  can   turn   time   into  a variable...

if  you  can  change  the  nature  of  time,  time  travel  is   not  only  likly  ,   it  would  be  a given   .

if  you  can  controll   time   ,  then   going  into  the  past   and  ajusting   civilazations   out  of  exsistance  would  not  be  hard  at  all .

as  a time  traveler...  you  could  quite  easily   remove   every  civilization   for  as  far  as  the  mind  can  reach  ...  into  the  past  ,  and   into  the  future  ,   and  you  have  all  of  time  to  double  check  that  you  didn't  miss  anything...

how  ever ,  your  planet  of  origin   would  need  to  be very  carefuly  protected  from  any disturbance....   not  only  from  others  ,  but  you  , yourself  would  need  to  leave  it  un disturbed...

well you made that clear. (?)  Or maybe it was just the 3 space gaps between your words which made it awkward to read.

Yes I will state that I believe its a certainty that life elsewhere exists, heck we could even find something as close to us as Europa if we ever get a probe under the surface and into the water. WATER! A requirement for life! But it may only be microbial...and we wont know till we we go look, and thats probably a very long way off yet.

BUT even microbial life..is life!

The issue I have 'always had' is with visitation. I don't think its ever happened so far, as much as sci-fi films create fantastical space ships and FTL travel, well thats the bit I have trouble with. The sheer distances and logistics of such travel are staggering, even if you can travel at the speed of light.

Edited by seeder, 25 January 2013 - 12:22 PM.

It wasn’t the miners who got rich; it was the people selling picks and shovels. Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users