Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Would you keep a fox as a pet?

fox pet dmitry k. belyaev novosibirsk

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16    EllJay

EllJay

Government Agent

• 3,677 posts

• Today We Are Creating Tomorrow's Yesterday

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:54 PM

Here is some more loveable foxes.

"Opinions are like a**holes - everyone seems to have one" - Dirty Harry

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand... "

"I have a black belt in Feng Shui, the subtle martial art. I go home to you and move a lamp and a chair... twelve years later you lay there on the floor with broken kneecaps and destitute."

#17    draugr

draugr

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 50 posts

• It's a secret to everybody.

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

Mr. Draugr and I have actually talked about getting a domestic one once we're more settled.  They cuddle like a cat and play like a puppy.

#18    g00dfella

g00dfella

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

you would have to keep them away from dogs though...they instictively will hunt them

#19    EllJay

EllJay

Government Agent

• 3,677 posts

• Today We Are Creating Tomorrow's Yesterday

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:46 PM

View Postg00dfella, on 30 January 2013 - 05:37 PM, said:

you would have to keep them away from dogs though...they instictively will hunt them

Not necessarily. Some get along.

"Opinions are like a**holes - everyone seems to have one" - Dirty Harry

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand... "

"I have a black belt in Feng Shui, the subtle martial art. I go home to you and move a lamp and a chair... twelve years later you lay there on the floor with broken kneecaps and destitute."

#20    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 4,494 posts

• If not watched closely, the seed of violence can utterly consume you.

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:38 AM

Sounds really cool and appealing but it takes more to domesticate a fox than just a short stint of selective breeding.
They ARE still wild animals and what about the lingering stress that is indelibly ingrained in their genes?

After it was their 'ancestors' who were cooped up in tiny cages to be slaughtered for their fur..such conditions are not going to produce a mentally healthy offspring I wouldn't think.

#21    psyche101

psyche101

The Customer.

• 38,300 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:58 AM

It would be nice to see another species regarded as mans friend, and not pest. I have to admit, I would love a domsticated one, like the one's they talk about that like the affection, but not too keen on getting my face bit off.

I could never trust a Tiger, Lion, Bear or the like, I reckons that is a death wish.

This bit is concerning.

After a few generations, the results began to get a little weird. The study found that though they were selectively breeding only for behavior, they began seeing new common physical traits. The animals developed different coat patterns, floppier ears, tails that curled over their backs - totally unknown in wild foxes. When we tried to breed a fox that would act more like a dog, we ended up with a fox thatlooked more like a dog. But they're not as easy to acquire as a dog.

I'd like to know more on that.

Edited by psyche101, 31 January 2013 - 07:13 AM.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#22    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

View PostStill Waters, on 23 January 2013 - 10:09 PM, said:

plenty of non-scientists are aware of the project for a different reason: foxes are adorable, and we want to hug them, and we want them to like it.

So because people find foxes adorable, that gives them the right to treat them as property?

The same can be said for any animal treated as a pet. Of course our judicial system reinforces this attitude by pronouncing that all animals (except free range ones) are to be considered property. The reason seems to be "because we can" or "might is right".

http://www.abolition...t/#.UQpwuvL3Ung

#23    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• 2,208 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

Yes I want a pet fox.

Edit: Or a dingo, or a wolf. They all look so cool and smart!

Though with a dingo I'll just have to be careful it doesn't steal any babies I may have lying around the house...

Edited by Timonthy, 31 January 2013 - 01:36 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users