Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Fontana, Ca. schools get high-powered rifles

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,815 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:09 AM

Fontana, Calif., schools get high-powered rifles

FONTANA, Calif. (AP) — The high-powered semiautomatic rifles recently shipped to school police in this Southern California city look like they belong on a battlefield rather than in a high school, but officials here say the weapons could help stop a massacre like the one that claimed the lives of 26 students and educators in Connecticut just weeks ago.
Fontana Unified School District police purchased 14 of the Colt LE6940 rifles last fall, and they were delivered the first week of December — a week before the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School. Over the holiday break, the district's 14 school police officers received 40 hours of training on the rifles. Officers check them out for each shift from a fireproof safe in the police force's main office.........................

more :    http://news.yahoo.co...-184934771.html

Edited by Sakari, 24 January 2013 - 02:10 AM.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#2    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:13 AM

Hehehehehe

Miss me?

#3    Mike D boy

Mike D boy

...from the Desert...

• 2,650 posts

• he's Native and Indio-geneous to the Americas.

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:15 AM

How in the world did we get to the point we have to arm our schools with military-style assault weapons...not going to prevent future shootings on campuses. There's debates on "gun free zones" in schools and other public places are thought to lure in mass shootings in belief nobody else are armed in the very places. What if they read signs "military-style assault weapons present on campus!" and double taked their plans out of fear of police officers or site security guards are armed? :gun:

:innocent: The Truth is Out There - the X Files. :alien:

#4    Drayno

Drayno

Bounty Hunter

• 3,881 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:46 AM

I don't know how I feel about this.

Because once armed guards are in schools with these weapons, then it's the malls. Then it's the grocery store.

The moment a grocery store gets shot up I'll have to go walking down the soda aisle with a man with an assault rifle watching my every move.

Security is not worth the cost of liberty.

Liberty provides security.

"Let us sit upon the ground and tell sad stories of the death of kings."
- William Shakespeare, Richard II, Act III, Scene II
Posted Image

#5    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

View PostEonwe, on 24 January 2013 - 07:46 AM, said:

I don't know how I feel about this.

Because once armed guards are in schools with these weapons, then it's the malls. Then it's the grocery store.

The moment a grocery store gets shot up I'll have to go walking down the soda aisle with a man with an assault rifle watching my every move.

Security is not worth the cost of liberty.

Liberty provides security.
For now you would never have liberty without security. They go hand in hand, some give and take.

Maybe in the future when there's no crime you can have your liberty. But not anytime soon.

Posted Image

#6    Corp

Corp

Telekinetic

• 6,951 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

Well it's good that they're giving proper training and are safely storing the guns, but if you need to turn your schools into armed camps then there's something seriously wrong with your country.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse...A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

#7    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,425 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:33 PM

Do the kids get to play with these toys?

#8    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,235 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

But what if they had purchased low-powered rifles?

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#9    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,198 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

At least there is one thing positive about this: The things are kept in a fireproof safe if not used on duty. There seems to be some control minded people in California.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#10    EllJay

EllJay

Poltergeist

• 2,666 posts

• Today We Are Creating Tomorrow's Yesterday

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:53 PM

Why dont they install automatic machinegun turrets inside the school while they're at it? :rolleyes:
I bet they could cut down running in the hallways and skipping classes to a minimum that way also.

These would be perfect, an NRA wet-dream>>

"Opinions are like a**holes, everyone seems to have one" - Dirty Harry

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand... "

"I have a black belt in Feng Shui, the subtle martial art. I go home to you and move a lamp and a chair... twelve years later you lay there on the floor with broken kneecaps and destitute."

#11    Thanato

Thanato

Government Agent

• 4,307 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

Ok Used by School Police which is a plus, usefull in a school shooting situation, unlikely. You have to get to the weapon, unlock the safe to get the weapon. Load and ready the weapon, then proceed to do CQC with who ever is shooting up the school.

But since they are there at least they are in the control of people who's job it is is to protect people. However they need hundreds of hours of training with the weapons to make them an extension of there body and not just a tool.

~Thanato

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scrapping will remove the black parts!" ~Caboose

"I will eat your unhappyness!" ~Caboose

"Freedom isn't bought in stores, it is bought on battlefields." ~Thanato

#12    CRYSiiSx2

CRYSiiSx2

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

When I have kids, I want them to attend this school.  I just feel bad for the guy who has to take down a kid because his parents obviously didn't spend enough time teaching him right from wrong.

Posted Image
NRA - PROTECT THE 2ND AMENDMENT
my twitter @sktm06

#13    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 11,648 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:26 PM

and what will happen when after being forced to deal with bloody teenagers for a few years one of these guards snaps and opens fire?

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#14    Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:31 PM

View PostCorp, on 24 January 2013 - 05:19 PM, said:

Well it's good that they're giving proper training and are safely storing the guns, but if you need to turn your schools into armed camps then there's something seriously wrong with your country.

If you don't like it, go somewhere else. Reason we have to have guards in school, is because they basically advertise them as free kill zones with the no-gun zone signs. For mass murders, they go for places with least resistance and allow for them to get high kill counts. Schools are perfect for this, because there is never anyone there with a gun to stop them, they are practically unstoppable until the police come, by then it is too late, so having trained individuals who are paid to protect our students from these type of people make sense.

A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death. - Albert Einstein

#15    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:32 PM

Hopefully the guns in schools is something we can get passed as a society. But the last thing we want to see is another Sandy Hook incident.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users