Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Looking for CONVINCING evidence of ghosts

ghost evidence paranormal supernatural spirits

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#16    tendo

tendo

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts

• Madness is the emergency exit.

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:40 PM

View PostEllJay, on 24 January 2013 - 08:45 PM, said:

This isn't evidence of ghosts per se, but it is tangible research into the differentiation of sounds made in alleged poltergeist cases and sound of otherwise normal means. Ghosts is  reported in poltergeist cases, but this study only focus on explicitly on the unnatural sound generated in those poltergeist cases, and the result are fascinating.

The Acoustic Properties of Unexplained Rapping Sounds

Thank you! This is phenomenal compared to what else I've been able to find. :)

EDIT: Holy ****, I looked into this, and it is truly amazing what they found! I like that they draw no real conclusions about it, and do offer up another sound that produces a similar wave form, but you can definitely tell that during those instances, the rapping noises were not just a typical sound. Thanks again!

Edited by tendo, 24 January 2013 - 11:00 PM.

#17    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:52 PM

You the sound stuff is definently the most definitive but Id like to be there running the equipment then Id be "convinced"

#18    tendo

tendo

Psychic Spy

• 1,503 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:58 AM

Very true.

#19    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:22 PM

View Posttendo, on 24 January 2013 - 08:09 PM, said:

Yes, this I know. I'm not one to jump to conclusions, and I try to logically look at every experience I have. My goal when I go to Katy's church is actually to debunk it.

Unfortunately this is difficult, probably impossible. If you explain one noise, there will be another noise that you'll have to explain. If you can't explain them all then the conclusion is inescapable: ghost!

Paranormal phenomena never go away unless people lose interest in them. That's because there will always be believers who will provide more "evidence" to debunk.

#20    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 6,758 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

View Posttendo, on 24 January 2013 - 07:52 PM, said:

This is my biggest concern, haha. Ironically enough, she's too afraid to go somewhere that is supposedly haunted and look for evidence with me. She doesn't believe in it, but she knows her imagination will go wild, and she is easily spooked by scary movies and video games, so unless I go somewhere and record something myself, I have no way of gathering any evidence. There are a few places locally I can go, like Katie's church which is relatively local, however the origin stories and claims vary wildly, and a few places near philly, but they're several hours away. There is also a local spot which has the stereotypical "teens on prom night drowned and at night you can hear the screams" story behind it. I don't want to go alone, however, and very few of my friends would even be willing to go. I do plan on making a trip to Katie's church in the near future, however, so I may just have to wait until I do this to have any evidence for or against anything. If I find anything on this trip, I will let you all know.

You might want to be careful... Apparently her ghost isn't there because she had children and lived to a ripe old age contrary to the gossip, and the church and graveyard might very well be illegal for you to try hunting on. I do believe the church and graveyard are private property.

#21    tendo

tendo

Psychic Spy

• 1,503 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

I know, I am currently attempting to ask permission by the owners. I realized it wasn't her ghost while researching it so now I want to debunk the whole thing. I am hoping that will gain their favor so I can do it.

#22    DBunker

DBunker

Government Agent

• 3,485 posts

• I prefer to know, not just to believe.

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:13 AM

View PostSweetpumper, on 24 January 2013 - 06:21 PM, said:

You won't find evidence on the internet.

It seems that finding evidence of the paranormal is impossible (internet or not).... The reason is (to me) simple, its all a bunch of nonsense.

Now that communications technology has made it possible to give global reach to the bizarre and archive it forever, it is essential for men and women of reason resolutely to counter the delusions of the fringe element. James S. Robbins

#23    tendo

tendo

Psychic Spy

• 1,503 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

View PostDBunker, on 26 January 2013 - 03:13 AM, said:

It seems that finding evidence of the paranormal is impossible (internet or not).... The reason is (to me) simple, its all a bunch of nonsense.

Read the study posted by EllJay. Definite evidence of paranormal. [Note, evidence does not mean proof, and paranormal does not mean ghosts]

#24    ChrLzs

ChrLzs

Just a contributor..

• 3,010 posts

• I only floccinaucinihilipilificate
    when it IS worthless...

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:54 PM

View Posttendo, on 26 January 2013 - 03:56 PM, said:

Read the study posted by EllJay. Definite evidence of paranormal. [Note, evidence does not mean proof, and paranormal does not mean ghosts]
One of the principles of a discussion forum is that you bring evidence *here*.  That way you can put in your own words what impressed you and why, and the readers can judge how much weight your opinion should be given, and if it is worth visiting the site for further investigation.

So may I politely ask, could you or Elljay please offer a small quote of the most compelling evidence at that site, or at least summarise what they found and (much more importantly) how they applied some semblance of decent methodology?

Either way, when I have time I may go and take a long hard look, but I'm guessing this hasn't passed 'peer review' - otherwise I think I would have heard of it...

___
All my posts about Apollo are dedicated to the memory of MID - who knew, lived and was an integral part of, Apollo.

#25    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,035 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:07 AM

Going into grave yards should only be to pay respects to loved ones.

The phrase " Rest in Peace " should say it all.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#26    Overdueleaf

Overdueleaf

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

never enough evidence/proof for someone who chooses not to believe... simple enough...... have you asked her what it would take for her to believe rather than trying to smother her in pictures and stories that are so easily believed not to be true/real

Posted Image

Your memory IS foggy. It's the pancakes

#27    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

View Posttendo, on 24 January 2013 - 03:27 AM, said:

My girlfriend doesn't believe in the supernatural at all. She's never experienced it herself, and any evidence she's seen has been quite easily faked or explained. Does anyone have any real, convincing evidence?

My advice - listen to your girlfriend.  She's right.  The sooner you figure that out you can get on with your life AND quit worrying about the paranormal.   If she's an intelligent skeptic, then she will agree that there isn't anything thats been posted on this site, to date that is evidence of anything other than wishful thinking, pareidolia, hysteria, and confirmation bias.

How about tell her to sign up and see for herself?  Obviously you are biased and going to be cherry-picking evidence anyway.  To me the plethora of NON-evidence for the paranormal (fakes, mistakes, ignorance) is just as convincing as the lack of credible evidence.  She should come see it all and decide for herself.

Edited by orangepeaceful79, 27 January 2013 - 07:26 PM.

#28    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,035 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:18 PM

View PostOverdueleaf, on 27 January 2013 - 07:20 PM, said:

never enough evidence/proof for someone who chooses not to believe... simple enough...... have you asked her what it would take for her to believe rather than trying to smother her in pictures and stories that are so easily believed not to be true/real

I think you have that backwards.

People do not choose to not believe, they choose to believe.

Others prefer to " know ", and not to " believe ".......There is a very big difference.

Blind Faith :   belief without true understanding, perception, or discrimination

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#29    tendo

tendo

Psychic Spy

• 1,503 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

View PostChrlzs, on 26 January 2013 - 11:54 PM, said:

One of the principles of a discussion forum is that you bring evidence *here*.  That way you can put in your own words what impressed you and why, and the readers can judge how much weight your opinion should be given, and if it is worth visiting the site for further investigation.

So may I politely ask, could you or Elljay please offer a small quote of the most compelling evidence at that site, or at least summarise what they found and (much more importantly) how they applied some semblance of decent methodology?

Either way, when I have time I may go and take a long hard look, but I'm guessing this hasn't passed 'peer review' - otherwise I think I would have heard of it...

Yes, it looks at the wave function of sounds of various materials being 'rapped' or 'tapped' upon. Rapping is defined as a single strike to a surface by another object. It shows that with every case observed, the sound wave function starts at its highest amplitude, and gradually becomes lower. They then observed rapping sounds reported at several sites in which poltergeists were reported, as rapping is a common 'symptom' of these areas. They then recorded the rapping which is done here. Again, the sound is a single strike to a surface by another object, the only difference in the case of the poltergeist sites is that the objects being struck are a mystery. In all of these sounds, the rapping sounds' amplitudes started low, worked their way up to highest amplitude, and then lowered again. This goes against the findings of every other preliminary wave recording. The only other wave they'd found which followed this pattern, as far as noise goes, is caused by seismic activity. The study does not draw any final conclusions on this. It may be seismic activity at the poltergeist sites, but why so quietly, why only in those homes and not in others, and why so frequently, with no seeming correlation to fault lines? It was done quite well, in my opinion, and described perfectly well so it may be replicated by anyone with access to a reported poltergeist site.

View PostSakari, on 27 January 2013 - 12:07 AM, said:

Going into grave yards should only be to pay respects to loved ones.

The phrase " Rest in Peace " should say it all.

This is a matter of opinion, though. I think paying respect to the dead should be done merely for respect of the living, so the relatives do not need to see the memories of their loved ones disrespected. My goal is, one could argue, to pay a great respect to the dead by spending a few hours there in pursuit of getting the site left alone indefinitely if I can get the information publicized well enough.

View PostOverdueleaf, on 27 January 2013 - 07:20 PM, said:

&

View Postorangepeaceful79, on 27 January 2013 - 07:23 PM, said:

My advice - listen to your girlfriend.  She's right.  The sooner you figure that out you can get on with your life AND quit worrying about the paranormal.   If she's an intelligent skeptic, then she will agree that there isn't anything thats been posted on this site, to date that is evidence of anything other than wishful thinking, pareidolia, hysteria, and confirmation bias.

How about tell her to sign up and see for herself?  Obviously you are biased and going to be cherry-picking evidence anyway.  To me the plethora of NON-evidence for the paranormal (fakes, mistakes, ignorance) is just as convincing as the lack of credible evidence.  She should come see it all and decide for herself.
I am not smothering her, I asked her, she said convincing evidence. I am not trying to prove it exists, nor am I truly convinced that it is ghosts. As I've said several times over in this thread, it is the CHANCE that it might be possible.
I am also not cherry picking evidence. I am looking at it all. I admitted to her that 99% of what is out there, if not more, is total bs done for attention, money, fame, or just for the lulz. I am a very unbiased person. I also don't need to 'get on with my life.' My focus on the paranormal, if you can even call it that, is nothing more than an interest. I pay much more time and put in much more effort into practical, rational things in life, such as school, work, academic pursuits, leisure activities, etc. Your comment was so full of presumed thoughts that were pulled seemingly from nowhere, and in the future you should try to really make sure you're hitting the mark on your assumptions.

#30    tendo

tendo

Psychic Spy

• 1,503 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:29 PM

View PostSakari, on 27 January 2013 - 08:18 PM, said:

I think you have that backwards.

People do not choose to not believe, they choose to believe.

Others prefer to " know ", and not to " believe ".......There is a very big difference.

Blind Faith :   belief without true understanding, perception, or discrimination

I have to disagree. People cannot choose what they believe. The brain would even disregard solid proof if the belief was strong enough and would upset the balance of the person's psyche. Other than that, I know what distinction you're trying to make. I am of the 'Mulder' school of thought. I want to believe, and have found some evidence which says to me that there's a chance of these things existing, and I've experienced some things which I might consider proof, but they're completely anecdotal, and too easily explained away by other means, demoting them back down to evidence. She is of the 'Scully' school of thought. She will not believe until she is given pure scientific proof.

Also tagged with ghost, evidence, paranormal, supernatural, spirits

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users