Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Storm Clouds Crawling With Bacteria

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,050 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:55 PM

The storm clouds in Earth's atmosphere are filled with microbial life, according to a new study.
The research, published today (Jan. 23) in the journal PLoS One, revealed that  hailstones drawn from storm clouds harbor several species of bacteria that tend to reside on plants, as well as thousands of organic compounds normally found in soil. Some of the bacterial species can seed the tiny ice crystals that lead to rain, suggesting they play a role in causing rain.
"Those storm clouds are quite violent phenomena," said study co-author Tina Santl Temkiv, an environmental chemist at Aarhus University in Denmark. "They are sucking huge amounts of air from under the clouds, and that's how the bacteria probably got into the cloud."

Source: http://www.livescien...orm-clouds.html

Posted Image

~MEH~

#2    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 14,769 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

Hasina you just TOTALLY FREAKED OUT everyone with a germ phobia...the sky is fallin' the sky is fallin'  :w00t:

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#3    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 14,253 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

View PostHasina, on 24 January 2013 - 12:55 PM, said:

The storm clouds in Earth's atmosphere are filled with microbial life, according to a new study.
The research, published today (Jan. 23) in the journal PLoS One, revealed that  hailstones drawn from storm clouds harbor several species of bacteria that tend to reside on plants, as well as thousands of organic compounds normally found in soil. Some of the bacterial species can seed the tiny ice crystals that lead to rain, suggesting they play a role in causing rain.
"Those storm clouds are quite violent phenomena," said study co-author Tina Santl Temkiv, an environmental chemist at Aarhus University in Denmark. "They are sucking huge amounts of air from under the clouds, and that's how the bacteria probably got into the cloud."

Source: http://www.livescien...orm-clouds.html
...and all this time we thought rain was 'clean'.

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#4    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,050 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:41 PM

View Postand then, on 24 January 2013 - 01:33 PM, said:

Hasina you just TOTALLY FREAKED OUT everyone with a germ phobia...the sky is fallin' the sky is fallin'  :w00t:

View PostHasina, on 22 December 2012 - 09:08 PM, said:

That's my job, brief rush of a panic with a catchy headline, followed by soothing facts.
The soothing facts? I guess they're harmless. :3

Posted Image

~MEH~

#5    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Common Sense Aficionado

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

I need to show this to one of my friends,one of the biggest purell addicts alive hahaha!

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#6    wimfloppp

wimfloppp

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

maybe the rain water is sucked up from the sea that is poluted befor it comes down as rain.

#7    BFB

BFB

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:28 PM

I'm so disappointed with LiveScience, they have made it look like its a hole new discovery.

First of all its been known for years there's microbial life in clouds. Its been common knowledge since the 1970's in atmospheric science.

Second of all this is actually one of my professors who did this study. She is about 6 months late with this "new" discovery. A team from (I think) the University of Colorado actually made the discovery that microbial life could produce rain.

"Its not true, until my brain says so" - BFB

#8    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,730 posts

• With great power, comes great irresponsibility.

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:01 PM

There goes the whole collecting rain water thing.

#9    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

I collect rain water cor magickal purposes ,and its always filthy .
There's lots of stuff in the sky on the way down . I would assume though ,given the height of the clouds and the cold ,not much could lice up there.
I would think the bacteria was dead ,and was possibly just sucked up there via things like evaporation etc .

Miss me?

#10    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,121 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:16 PM

View PostBFB, on 24 January 2013 - 03:28 PM, said:

I'm so disappointed with LiveScience, they have made it look like its a hole new discovery.

First of all its been known for years there's microbial life in clouds. Its been common knowledge since the 1970's in atmospheric science.

Second of all this is actually one of my professors who did this study. She is about 6 months late with this "new" discovery. A team from (I think) the University of Colorado actually made the discovery that microbial life could produce rain.

You mean this:

http://news.mongabay...n-rainfall.html

#11    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,585 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:31 PM

Nice! Now I can market a rain water purifyer.    :w00t:

#12    Rolci

Rolci

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:42 PM

Phew... How lucky we discovered this after all these thousands of years of living in oblivion. But fear not, now we can live in the comfort of knowing. That was close... We almost didn't know for another 5000 years. Just think of the possible consequences...

#13    Ratbiter

Ratbiter

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

Someone's been reading readers Digest, this story was in their mag a few months ago, but it's interesting none the less even though it's only half the story.

#14    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,585 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:23 PM

View PostRatbiter, on 24 January 2013 - 08:59 PM, said:

Someone's been reading readers Digest, this story was in their mag a few months ago, but it's interesting none the less even though it's only half the story.

Uh, what's the other half? Hopefully "good news"

#15    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:25 PM

Has anyone considered bacteria is not the worst thing in our rain clouds aka acid rain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users