Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Possible $20tr. shale oil find in Australia

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

SOUTH Australia is sitting on oil potentially worth more than $20 trillion, independent reports claim - enough to turn Australia into a self-sufficient fuel producer.

Brisbane company Linc Energy yesterday released two reports, based on drilling and seismic exploration, estimating the amount of oil in the as yet untapped Arckaringa Basin surrounding Coober Pedy ranging from 3.5 billion to 233 billion barrels of oil.

http://www.perthnow....b-1226560401043

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#2    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,005 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

I thought Australia was already self-sufficient in energy production.

It seems as though you get the price high enough for long enough, new technologies and new discoveries will happen everywhere.  Yesterday I read about something similar in Cyprus.

For sure the oil will someday run out, but that someday seems to keep getting postponed.

#3    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 3,837 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:52 PM

Until we create the technology to store large amounts of energy in a way that is practical for prolonged, power intensive period of time and mobile use(better batteries essentially), then the internal combustion engine isn't going anywhere.

#4    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,005 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

View PostWickian, on 24 January 2013 - 03:52 PM, said:

Until we create the technology to store large amounts of energy in a way that is practical for prolonged, power intensive period of time and mobile use(better batteries essentially), then the internal combustion engine isn't going anywhere.
More than likely, but predicting what will or will not be discovered is a chancy thing.  If nothing to save the car comes along and gasoline gets unavailable, maybe we will all go back to bicycles.  Would take some getting use to but I think we would largely survive, and I would no longer need to look for parking spaces.

#5    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 3,837 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 24 January 2013 - 04:34 PM, said:

More than likely, but predicting what will or will not be discovered is a chancy thing.  If nothing to save the car comes along and gasoline gets unavailable, maybe we will all go back to bicycles.  Would take some getting use to but I think we would largely survive, and I would no longer need to look for parking spaces.

I believe that if gasoline was ever in a near danger of running out the government would take control of all remaining amounts to last a few decades at least for military purposes.  And for politicians to keep their cars/planes running of course.

#6    tipotep

tipotep

Psychic Spy

• 1,093 posts

• Muchos Spectacular

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:51 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 24 January 2013 - 02:19 PM, said:

I thought Australia was already self-sufficient in energy production.

It seems as though you get the price high enough for long enough, new technologies and new discoveries will happen everywhere.  Yesterday I read about something similar in Cyprus.

For sure the oil will someday run out, but that someday seems to keep getting postponed.

We have massive reserves of natural gas but most of the wells have been capped off , and wont be used till much later , AFAIK we don't have huge stocks of  oil , untill now .

Hopefully this will bring the price of petrol down , we are getting stung ATM  , its around $ 1.50 AUS a litre .

TiP.

Edited by tipotep, 25 January 2013 - 12:52 AM.

Archaeology is the search for fact... not truth. - Indiana Jones .

** Lannisters like to keep it in the family **

#7    CRYSiiSx2

CRYSiiSx2

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:56 AM

Good thing Bush isn't in office lol.

Edited by CRYSiiSx2, 25 January 2013 - 12:56 AM.

Posted Image
NRA - PROTECT THE 2ND AMENDMENT
my twitter @sktm06

#8    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,308 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:18 AM

That's right b****es, it's AUSTRALIA'S turn to be the superpower.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#9    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• 1,837 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

I don't really like much of Joe Rogan, but I read a funny comment he made about this:

Weapons of mass destruction aka $20 trillion in OIL found in Australia.

These Australian insurgents hate our freedom. Their pro-Iranian people need to be freed. Democracy must be brought to them.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

#10    EllJay

EllJay

Poltergeist

• 2,582 posts

• Today We Are Creating Tomorrow's Yesterday

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:47 PM

View PostDKO, on 25 January 2013 - 12:35 PM, said:

I don't really like much of Joe Rogan, but I read a funny comment he made about this:

Weapons of mass destruction aka $20 trillion in OIL found in Australia.

These Australian insurgents hate our freedom. Their pro-Iranian people need to be freed. Democracy must be brought to them.

Yeah Australia, stand by to be "liberated" by the USA any day now.
Liberated from your oil, that is.

I wonder what they will call this campaign to feign humanitarian concern? Operation Free The Aboriginals? ;)

"Opinions are like a**holes, everyone seems to have one" - Dirty Harry

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand... "

"I have a black belt in Feng Shui, the subtle martial art. I go home to you and move a lamp and a chair... twelve years later you lay there on the floor with broken kneecaps and destitute."

#11    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• 1,765 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

Will be interesting to see how this plays out and what the volume is which we will actually be able to extract.

Would be a nice boost for the economy. And it would be nice to see the price of petrol go back down for a while...

Posted Image

#12    Corp

Corp

Telekinetic

• 6,951 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

View PostEllJay, on 25 January 2013 - 12:47 PM, said:

Yeah Australia, stand by to be "liberated" by the USA any day now.
Liberated from your oil, that is.

I wonder what they will call this campaign to feign humanitarian concern? Operation Free The Aboriginals? ;)

The Auzzies unjustly claim that dingos are eating their babies. As a result dingos are hated and feared, blocked from top government positions and are denied fair representation. We can no longer stand idly by and let these crimes continue!

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse...A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

#13    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 6,761 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

View PostWickian, on 24 January 2013 - 08:39 PM, said:

I believe that if gasoline was ever in a near danger of running out the government would take control of all remaining amounts to last a few decades at least for military purposes.  And for politicians to keep their cars/planes running of course.

The US does have what's known as "strategic reserves" of oil.

See here: http://en.wikipedia...._(United_States)

Edited by pallidin, 25 January 2013 - 04:51 PM.

#14    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• 1,837 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:14 AM

View PostCorp, on 25 January 2013 - 04:29 PM, said:

The Auzzies unjustly claim that dingos are eating their babies. As a result dingos are hated and feared, blocked from top government positions and are denied fair representation. We can no longer stand idly by and let these crimes continue!

It's all a conspiracy. The dingoes never ate any babies, they just discovered the oil first and the government used the classic smear campaign.

Confucius Says:

#15    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,167 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:38 AM

Shale oil or gas requires Fracking and the practice is yet to be proven safe. Don`t jump the gun as Fracking could prove the saying if it`s to could to be true it usually is.

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users