Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Someone said I should be an atheist...

religion atheism spiritual god science

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#16    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,628 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

View PostNothingSetInStone, on 24 January 2013 - 07:57 PM, said:

Well for one dogs are less intelligent than humans. And for two, though they interact with us, what about the strays who people leave food out for but they never see that person and just know where to get the food?

Also, I fail to understand why you repeatedly try to prove that I'm some sort of ignorant bimbo when I'm just trying to have a philosophical conversation. Either way I'm going to ignore you now as you aren't adding much but being a troll and the others are at least trying to be intelligent.
Dogs less intelligent? So tell me...can humans predict earthquakes before they hit?

#17    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,050 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:45 PM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 24 January 2013 - 08:37 PM, said:

Dogs less intelligent? So tell me...can humans predict earthquakes before they hit?
That's an instinctual thing. Usually intelligence is based off of knowledge that has to be learned during the creatures life, abilities and so forth it wasn't born knowing how to do. Nonetheless, dogs are still some of the smartest dudes around.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#18    Mystic Crusader

Mystic Crusader

Poltergeist

• 2,386 posts

• "What would you rather be, a bus driver, or a super terrorist?"

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

View PostWoIverine, on 24 January 2013 - 08:02 PM, said:

To the OP, be what you want, not what anyone else suggests.

Or tries to force you to be.

Thomas Paine wrote in The Age of Reason that “Whenever we read the obscene stories, the voluptuous debaucheries, the cruel and torturous execution, the unrelenting vindictiveness, with which more than half the Bible is filled, it would be consistent that we called it the word of a demon, than the word of God."
http://www.astrology...ead.php?t=81593
http://www.astrology...&pictureid=6193

#19    Sean93

Sean93

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

• WRATH

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:48 PM

You sound like a Deist but even at that you don't seem fully sure of yourself. Although I did see the god of the gaps in there = We cannot explain it = God(s).

You might go to church and consider yourself Catholic but that doesn't make you so, especially if you don't believe ina Christian God. Standing in a football field does not make yo a football player, the same goes for a Christian/ Catholic church. Also, you mentioned the suffering in your life and how you cannot believe it was for nothing...sorry but as that guy on the left (Gregory House) said, "Life is pain". The universe owes you nothing so there's no point in complaining about it; you're one little human and I can bet all that I own that there are people who's suffering is 100X worse than yours. I made a little resolution this year not to complain about my life as best i could, the small things and that because I seen this video of starving people in slums being eaten alive by bot flies and living in filth and being burnt alive for being gay; beaten by mobs. I looked at my room, at my house and myself and realized that all of the problems that have come in my life, as bad as they seem to the common person, they're nothing to the things that are going on now on this very planet; I'm living in luxury, like a king, it's ravaged my outlook of life for good.

I've taken so much for granted over the years but I'm trying to amend it and the bad things that have and are happening to me at this moment - I'm trying to keep in mind that I'm a first world complainer who should shut the **** up and look at the bigger picture. We all should, even if we fail sometimes.

Edited by Sean93, 24 January 2013 - 11:03 PM.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”

#20    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 27,035 posts

• Paranoid Android... Gorram it kid, let's frak this thing and go home! Make it so!

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:43 AM

It's been said, but you sound like a Deist.  You also seem to have the occasional dose of ritual from the Catholic Church.  Ritual can be a very comforting experience, providing a framework to work through your issues and find closure/catharsis.  You don't have to believe in Jesus to take comfort in ritual centred around Jesus.

Personally, I'm not a Catholic for the same reason - I actually don't much like the traditions and rituals associated with the Catholic Church.  But other Christians find great comfort in them and I wish them the best.

Considering you still attend a Catholic Church, there is an argument to be made that you are Catholic, whether or not you believe in Jesus.  You may not be a "good Catholic", but still a Catholic nonetheless.

Whatever you are, it is important that you know yourself first, rather than let other people define who you are.  You'll be a stronger human being for it.  I wish you the best in that search :tu:

~ Regards, PA

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#21    AquilaChrysaetos

AquilaChrysaetos

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

• "Some people wish to be the sun, so they can brighten your day. I wish to be the moon, which shines down upon you in your darkest hour."

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:25 AM

View PostNothingSetInStone, on 24 January 2013 - 05:52 PM, said:

Now that I'm older, I don't really believe in a Christian god, well not as its defined by Christians. This is what I told him I believed:

That there is some sort of force governing us. Whatever causes the ebb and flow of nature, that's what I believe in. The thing that got the ball rolling. The things science can't explain yet. Though I am very logical and believe there is an explanation for 99% of phenomena, we do not have everything 100% explained yet. The day we do, I will stop believing in god. I think of god much like dogs must think of humans.

Dogs look at humans as all powerful, caring, loving, and wonderful but the dog has no way to comprehend that we aren't all those things. We aren't omniscient, we don't create food and toys from our minds, we are full of fallacies and evil. Yet since they have no way to comprehend how humans are, they see us as something entirely different. So I think the being (or beings) that oversee us, must be like that. We are like their dogs, and we see those things as almighty providers but they really are no better than us, just slightly more powerful or just something we can't comprehend, like dogs.

I don't think any of that makes me an atheist. I don't have a problem with anyone or any religion, unless of course it's an extremist thing, but I can't not believe there is a greater purpose. I can't not believe in karma or fate. My faith has kept me going, and should I stop to think there was no reason for the suffering I've been through in my life (been told that most people never experience the combination of things I've already been through before the age of 30) I'd really want to shrivel up and die.

So maybe I'm weird that I need to believe there is a higher purpose to this. Yet I still think as humans there are things we can't, and may never comprehend.

Is there a religion at all like I'm describing? If not, does anyone have any input on this?

The way I see it is simply that you've approached a more scientific perspective on it as opposed to just blindly believing what some group tells you to be true. I don't see that as being as much atheist as it is agnostic. but even so you're still only leaning towards that beleif system with the 'I don't really know' mentality.

I don't entirely agree with you on it but I can certainly sympathize with you. I myself am a hardcore devout Christian who doesn't accept a majority of the bible. I simply believe that God is a more action-based God as opposed to a sit-and-read-about-me-all-day kinda God, and that the best way to commune with him is through his son Jesus Christ. I try to look at things more scientifically myself, but that doesn't mean I still go to church and pretend to believe and preech the same things most Christians do. I personally just like to practice what I believe whenever the situation happens to present itself, such as right now.

Either way man, it certainly doesn't make you atheist. It means you're a thinker. You simply approached the situation with your own personal thought as opposed to just give in to blindly believing the majority. Atheists must think all believers are just a bunch of nutjobs that don't put any thought into anything or something, but there are plenty like you that have done their own researching and soul searching and end up coming to their own 'yes to a higher power' conclusions.

Jesus Christ - Matthew 28:18-20 said:

"All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Posted Image

#22    NothingSetInStone

NothingSetInStone

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 8 posts

• "If you are good at anticipating the human mind, it leaves nothing to chance."--John Kramer

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:59 PM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 24 January 2013 - 08:37 PM, said:

Yes, we can predict the likely hood of an earthquake knowing about plate shifts. And not every dog can predict earthquakes, so what's your point? And just cause they can that makes them more intellegent than humans? Right.

#23    NothingSetInStone

NothingSetInStone

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 8 posts

• "If you are good at anticipating the human mind, it leaves nothing to chance."--John Kramer

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

View PostSean93, on 24 January 2013 - 10:48 PM, said:

You sound like a Deist but even at that you don't seem fully sure of yourself. Although I did see the god of the gaps in there = We cannot explain it = God(s).

You might go to church and consider yourself Catholic but that doesn't make you so, especially if you don't believe ina Christian God. Standing in a football field does not make yo a football player, the same goes for a Christian/ Catholic church. Also, you mentioned the suffering in your life and how you cannot believe it was for nothing...sorry but as that guy on the left (Gregory House) said, "Life is pain". The universe owes you nothing so there's no point in complaining about it; you're one little human and I can bet all that I own that there are people who's suffering is 100X worse than yours. I made a little resolution this year not to complain about my life as best i could, the small things and that because I seen this video of starving people in slums being eaten alive by bot flies and living in filth and being burnt alive for being gay; beaten by mobs. I looked at my room, at my house and myself and realized that all of the problems that have come in my life, as bad as they seem to the common person, they're nothing to the things that are going on now on this very planet; I'm living in luxury, like a king, it's ravaged my outlook of life for good.

I've taken so much for granted over the years but I'm trying to amend it and the bad things that have and are happening to me at this moment - I'm trying to keep in mind that I'm a first world complainer who should shut the **** up and look at the bigger picture. We all should, even if we fail sometimes.

House is basically my religion and you sir made my day. I subscribe to the church of Greg House lol!

#24    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,829 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

Now sometimes we are rich and healthy and have a computer to fill our spare time and so think life ain't so bad, but consider most of humanity through most of history.  Then consider all the wild animals, who without exception live lives of fear and danger and die painful violent deaths.  And even we who are lucky know we will die, and sometimes think about what kind of death it will be.

This is the reality of the world, and in such a world it is hard to say there is a beneficent deity behind it.  It seems to me to take a particularly blind form of blindness to hide from this reality and still believe in God.

#25    Tor_Hershman

Tor_Hershman

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 35 posts

• There is no God in foxholes

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

If anyone could view all of me wee videos, @ YouTube, and not become an Atheist, I'd be mildly surprised.
Of course, me visual parodies ain't too scary.
Posted Image

Edited by Tor_Hershman, 25 January 2013 - 08:48 PM.

#26    euroninja

euroninja

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

• John 14:16
    Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the father, but by me.

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

View PostAquilaChrysaetos, on 25 January 2013 - 02:25 AM, said:

I myself am a hardcore devout Christian who doesn't accept a majority of the bible.
I'm a Christian but not a follower of "saint" Paul. I was an atheist many moons ago. I went through my blind phase.

Does liking a homosexual man make me gay? I love my gay brother. I must be gay at heart. Hooray for happy people!

#27    Tor_Hershman

Tor_Hershman

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:13 PM

View Posteuroninja, on 25 January 2013 - 08:50 PM, said:

I'm a Christian but not a follower of "saint" Paul. I was an atheist many moons ago. I went through my blind phase.

I was a Christian...then Buddhist.....now an Atheist.
Say, what do think of this?  I hope you ain't blinded by its light.  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLGJXo8gshg

#28    euroninja

euroninja

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

• John 14:16
    Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the father, but by me.

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:08 PM

I'm ahead of you. Acts of men are not an act of Christ. That's a "funny" video by an atheist.

Does liking a homosexual man make me gay? I love my gay brother. I must be gay at heart. Hooray for happy people!

#29    Tor_Hershman

Tor_Hershman

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:46 PM

View Posteuroninja, on 25 January 2013 - 10:08 PM, said:

I'm ahead of you. Acts of men are not an act of Christ. That's a "funny" video by an atheist.

Euro Ninja, you are 100% correct in that "Acts of men are not an act of Christ," I, as the video states,
wish I could say that the reverse of your statement were true, too.

#30    Pupp3t

Pupp3t

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 43 posts

• "Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds", verse 32 from chapter 11 of the Bhagavad Gita.

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:56 PM

To the OP, simply discover what you truly are, and go from there. Simple.
I follow no religion, so restriction by traditions aren't a problem.

Also tagged with religion, atheism, spiritual, god, science

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users