Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Someone said I should be an atheist...

religion atheism spiritual god science

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#31    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 19,338 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:02 AM

From your OP you are a theist not an atheist. Theism can come in many forms from; animism, paganism, pantheism, through to  difernt types of  monotheism, and back to gaeaism. But, as other posters note, you should define yourself, not allow others to define you, or worry about how they define you.

A theist would be (IMO) an accurate, factual description of the beliefs you outlined in your OP.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#32    AquilaChrysaetos

AquilaChrysaetos

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

• "Some people wish to be the sun, so they can brighten your day. I wish to be the moon, which shines down upon you in your darkest hour."

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:13 AM

View Posteuroninja, on 25 January 2013 - 08:50 PM, said:

I'm a Christian but not a follower of "saint" Paul. I was an atheist many moons ago. I went through my blind phase.

Glad to know I'm not the only one.

Jesus Christ - Matthew 28:18-20 said:

"All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Posted Image

#33    hellig heilige

hellig heilige

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:40 AM

View PostTor_Hershman, on 25 January 2013 - 11:46 PM, said:

Euro Ninja, you are 100% correct in that "Acts of men are not an act of Christ," I, as the video states,
wish I could say that the reverse of your statement were true, too.
I'm not trying to convert you. I hope you didn't make that assumption. You don't have to agree with me.

Matthew 5:20   
"For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven".

#34    Ciss

Ciss

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

I guess it's a normal desire for others to want us to label and define what we think and believe about ourselves and things so that we can better understand each other, I dislike the idea of labeling myself or my beliefs because I will usually make a lie-r out of myself when I change my mind...

#35    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 4,194 posts

• Hi! :-)

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:53 PM

Dont listen to internet strangers telling you what you need to believe...

The letter kills but The Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#36    The Id3al Experience

The Id3al Experience

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

• "Live with cause and leave results to the great law of the universe"

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:13 AM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 24 January 2013 - 08:37 PM, said:

Dogs less intelligent? So tell me...can humans predict earthquakes before they hit?

Dogs can 'predict' earthquakes due to ground tremours etc, There sense of hearing is the reason... I do not think this is completely 'agreed' upon but with current studies done,  the evidence seems to stack with it.

Therefore they do no 'Predict' and Earthquake, they hear them coming.

Which is what I personally have done also - Once I heard a rumble? Said to my Flatmate, is that a earthquake? He said... No? then a  mintue or two later we had a earthquake? Consindence?  maybe... but that expereince makes me beleive the hearing theroy correct.

Kind Regards,
Me :)

Edited by The Id3al Experience, 30 January 2013 - 01:13 AM.

Watch this space

#37    hellig heilige

hellig heilige

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:47 AM

View PostCiss, on 27 January 2013 - 04:24 PM, said:

I dislike the idea of labeling myself or my beliefs because I will usually make a lie-r out of myself when I change my mind...
The older we get the more likely we will manage to change our belief system and needs. As long as you're being honest to yourself the changes you make don't make you a liar. We are all finding our way to our true lasting happiness. It just happens that Jesus Christ has the best offer.

Matthew 5:20   
"For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven".

#38    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

View PostNothingSetInStone, on 24 January 2013 - 05:52 PM, said:

Is there a religion at all like I'm describing? If not, does anyone have any input on this?

Google for "atheist christian". There are plenty of those. I guess I could count myself as one.
Meaning that I do acknowlegde the history and contribution of Christianity in Western culture (and "like the rituals" as you put it), but I don´t believe any of the religionist nonsense that it contains.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#39    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

In a way I'm that kind of Buddhist.  I think the Buddha story is a nice tradition, but take out all the wonderments and miracles and you have a nice story of a traveling mendicant monk starting a monastic movement out of an original set of ideas derived from more ancient Indian ideas.  The thing is, I like his ideas.  They make sense.

And of course there are the rituals and chants and beautiful art and temples.  I like those too.

#40    markdohle

markdohle

Alien Abducter

• 5,411 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:58 PM

View PostNothingSetInStone, on 24 January 2013 - 06:37 PM, said:

But I know a ton of agnostics and they insist I can't be one if I attend mass, even if I explain to them it's less about being catholic and more about ideas of redemption and forgiveness.

You would define what I believe as agnosticism?

I am glad you go to mass, the peace you feel perhaps comes for the Sacrament, perhaps a grace to keep you within certain boundaries.  Do you pray?  The central core of the Christian is that God became man, suffered for us and with us, died and rose.  It all falls on the realilty of the resurrection.  We are each unique, don't let anyone tell you how you should label yourself, some can't be, perhaps you are one of them.  Read the "the dark night of the sou" by St. John of the cross.

(Songs of the soul delighted at having reached the high state of perfection, the union with God, by way of spiritual negation.)

On a darkened night,
Anxious, by love inflamed,
-- O happy chance! --
Unnoticed, I took flight,
My house at last at peace and quiet.

Safe, disguised by the night,
By the secret ladder I took flight,
-- O happy chance! --
Cloaked by darkness, I scaled the height,
My house at last at peace and quiet.

On that blessed night,
In secret, and seen by none,
None in sight,
I saw with no other guide or light,
But the one burning in my heart bright.

This guide, this light,
Brighter than the midday sun,
Led me to the waiting One
I knew so well -- my delight!
To a place with none in sight.

O night! O guide!
O night more loving than the dawn!
O night that joined
The lover with the Beloved;
Transformed, the lover into the Beloved drawn!

Upon my flowered breast,
For him alone kept fair,
There he slept
There I caressed,
There the cedars gave us air.

I drank the turret's cool air
Spreading playfully his hair.
And his hand, so serene,
Cut my throat. Drained
Of senses, I dropped unaware.

Lost to myself and yet remaining,
Inclined so only the Beloved I spy.
All has ceased, all rests,
Even my cares, even I;
Lost among the lilies, there I die.

http://www.poetry-ch...o/DarkNight.htm

Peace
mark

#41    Crikey

Crikey

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 216 posts

• I just keep getting stronger..

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

View PostNothingSetInStone, on 24 January 2013 - 05:52 PM, said:

Now that I'm older, I don't really believe in a Christian god, well not as its defined by Christians......
There is some sort of force governing us. Whatever causes the ebb and flow of nature, that's what I believe in..

Yeah, Jesus said "God is a spirit", and God himself said "I fill heaven and earth", so we can regard him like 'The Force' in Star Wars.. :)

And we can tap into that strong fatherly power ourselves-

"Be strong in the Lord and in his mighty POWER" -Ephesians 6:10

"Come near to God and he will come near to you" James 4:8
Posted Image

Edited by Crikey, 31 January 2013 - 11:45 AM.

#42    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:15 AM

View PostCrikey, on 31 January 2013 - 11:36 AM, said:

And we can tap into that strong fatherly power ourselves-

... so go ahead and tap. In same way that others tap into the strong fatherly powers of Elvis, or of Ron Hubbart.

Edited by Zaphod222, 01 February 2013 - 01:15 AM.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#43    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 19,338 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:20 AM

View PostZaphod222, on 01 February 2013 - 01:15 AM, said:

... so go ahead and tap. In same way that others tap into the strong fatherly powers of Elvis, or of Ron Hubbart.
Whatever floats your boat. BUT The proof of the pudding is in the eating. :innocent:

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

Also tagged with religion, atheism, spiritual, god, science

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users