Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Extinction of species 'greatly exaggerated'

extinction species greatly exaggerated

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 43,340 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

In the past scientists have warned that up to five per cent of species are at risk of dying-out as a result of climate change, deforestation and development.

But a new analysis by the University of New Zealand found that this figure was five times greater than reality because the number of animals living in the wild in the first place had been over estimated.

http://www.telegraph...xaggerated.html

Posted Image

#2    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Mostly Harmless

• 11,328 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

I would have to actually see the study, which there is no link to in the article.  What animals were studied, did it include microbes or something.

"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost; for none now live who remember it."  Galadriel

#3    Professor Buzzkill

Professor Buzzkill

Integrity is all we have

• 2,980 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

View PostStill Waters, on 24 January 2013 - 09:29 PM, said:

In the past scientists have warned that up to five per cent of species are at risk of dying-out as a result of climate change, deforestation and development.

But a new analysis by the University of New Zealand found that this figure was five times greater than reality because the number of animals living in the wild in the first place had been over estimated.

http://www.telegraph...xaggerated.html

Umm, the University of New Zealand has not existed since 1961.... Te Wānanga o Aotearoa (founded in 1984- still going strong) literally means The University of New Zealand, but is never refered to as such. This is because its student base is predominately Maori. The professor quoted in the article is from the University of Auckland. I need more facts before i can have an opinion.

Edited by Professor Buzzkill, 24 January 2013 - 09:48 PM.

#4    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:53 PM

I believe our oceans are at the greatest risk. For losing species do to overfishing but that is only part of the puzzle.

#5    Queen in the North

Queen in the North

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,509 posts

• We're more Ceefax people.

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:08 PM

Right, so this could be good news, but at the same time, hmmm... I worry that articles like this, which as pointed out already don't give links to the actual study, could give people an excuse to write it all off as nonsense and stop giving a hoot about conservation!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users