Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

US ends ban on women in frontline combat

leon panetta women combat ban

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#16    iNvRG

iNvRG

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:21 AM

This bothers me a lot. They're always talking about equality and equal rights for everyone but I wanted to join the Army since I was 18 and I can't because I'm deaf in my left ear while my right ear is perfect. There are plenty of jobs in the Army that someone like myself can do. So much for equality...

"We as humans believe in a superior being because we as humans can not comprehend the magnitude of our own existence"

#17    Order66

Order66

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

• The hate is swelling in you now. Take your Jedi weapon. Use it. I am unarmed. Strike me down with it. Give in to your anger ...

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:54 AM

Over millions of years, nature has fashioned physical differences in men and women ... why? Because nature is sexist of course. it is behind the times. It hasn't achieved the wisdom of the progressives in Washington who truly understand the life and death conflicts faced by lawyers and lobbyists and community organizers.

Posted Image

#18    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• 2,094 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:20 AM

That's weird! When i clicked to enter this thread i must've suddenly gone back in time to a place where these comments were still socially acceptable.

View PostiNvRG, on 25 January 2013 - 08:21 AM, said:

This bothers me a lot. They're always talking about equality and equal rights for everyone but I wanted to join the Army since I was 18 and I can't because I'm deaf in my left ear while my right ear is perfect. There are plenty of jobs in the Army that someone like myself can do. So much for equality...

So you are comparing being deaf to being a woman ?

Strange time this is ... 1920's is it?

#19    pallidin

pallidin

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,099 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:27 AM

View PostCRYSiiSx2, on 25 January 2013 - 12:27 AM, said:

Ugh, I hope women understand the risks... it would be a million times worse being a woman if captured than a man.

Hmmm.. well maybe. Rape comes to mind.
But I also know that some captured Vietnam-era American soldiers had their penis stretched out, cut-off, and shoved in their mouth as they either bleed to death, shot, or otherwise disposed.

Then they would display them as "warnings", with their penis sticking-out of their dead mouth.

For a captured women it would likely be a gang-rape scenario, "passed around", seriously messing-up her internal organs.

I don't know. I have mixed feelings about women in front-line combat roles.

#20    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:03 AM

View PostAquilaChrysaetos, on 25 January 2013 - 05:23 AM, said:

Posted Image

I feel terrible that I actually laughed at that...

I would have laughed, but since the worlds best and top chefs are actually men, it seems their place is in the kitchens...

View PostSweetpumper, on 24 January 2013 - 10:07 PM, said:

LMAO!!!  Hell, they could nag the enemy into submission.

Yup and instead of going to war, just stop speaking to their enemy

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#21    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

The US military is one of the few truly volunteer militaries in the world.  As such it wants quality over quantity, and acute hearing in my mind qualifies as quality -- nevertheless I get your point -- probably some faceless bureaucrats were sitting around a desk deciding on standards and didn't use much common sense.

They need to carry out studies of what volunteers who are otherwise disqualified could do, and set their standards empirically rather than by the seat of their pants.

I am glad to see women treated the same, but I don't think it will actually happen in practice.  I know how men are about these things (I'm a man -- women are seen as potential mothers and therefore their lives are given special worth), and women in the same platoon will get protection other men might not get, conceivably to the detriment of the group.  Special training in this area is going to be needed.

#22    CRYSiiSx2

CRYSiiSx2

Paranormal Investigator

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:25 AM

nm wrong topic

Edited by CRYSiiSx2, 25 January 2013 - 11:26 AM.

Posted Image
NRA - PROTECT THE 2ND AMENDMENT
my twitter @sktm06

#23    Antilles

Antilles

NCC-1701

• 1,276 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:38 AM

Anyone who has served in the military knows that women are the soft target.

Not because they aren't as capable and in many cases almost as strong, but because the men will always go in to save them or to defend them.

How do you screw around with the enemy when they have female combatants?

Go after the women.

Women should not be front line grunts. They put their male counterparts in an untenable position. No man worth his name is going to walk away and leave a woman behind. That's just the fact. And women can argue up and down and around but the basic fact is, they put the men they serve with in danger.

There are many service positions behind the lines that women can fill way better than men.

#24    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

View Postcoolguy, on 25 January 2013 - 05:38 AM, said:

I have nothing aganist women.but they should not be on the front lines.this is the down fall of the United states military. If they cry watching a moive.waite till they see there friend get blown up in half...

Yes because no woman in battle has ever seen her friends / collogues  get killed or blown up before in war..Not ever..

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#25    ohio_traveler

ohio_traveler

Psychic Spy

• 1,864 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

View PostWickian, on 25 January 2013 - 03:48 AM, said:

As long as only women who can pass the physical requirements of front-line soldiers actually quality to fight in combat, then I'm fine with it. Also, all women should have to register for the draft as well, equality and all that.

That's a great point.  I wonder how daddy will feel when his little princess has to register for the draft  ?

#26    Thanato

Thanato

Alien Abducter

• 5,171 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

The Canadian Forces have allowed women in all roles of the Military since the late 1980s. The number who are in the Combat Arms are small but have proven themselves in Afghanistan that they are capable of sustained Combat Operations. If they are capable of meeting the stadard, or exceeding it. Then why shouldn't they be allowed to fight and die.

Yes, you can do a number of jobs. However doe to you being deaf in one ear makes you a liability in Combat, every soldier must be capable of being a rifleman. I know people who wear glasses and were denied because there vision was to bad with out there glasses. Its all about being combat effective.

~Thanato

Edited by Thanato, 25 January 2013 - 01:59 PM.

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scrapping will remove the black parts!" ~Caboose

"I will eat your unhappyness!" ~Caboose

"Freedom isn't bought in stores, it is bought on battlefields." ~Thanato

#27    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

View PostThanato, on 25 January 2013 - 01:57 PM, said:

The Canadian Forces have allowed women in all roles of the Military since the late 1980s. The number who are in the Combat Arms are small but have proven themselves in Afghanistan that they are capable of sustained Combat Operations. If they are capable of meeting the stadard, or exceeding it. Then why shouldn't they be allowed to fight and die.
Your point is great; I would however like to see you or someone address the point that has been made that males respond to women in the same danger by tending to give them special protection, creating a weakness the enemy can exploit.

Oh and I think you chose a great picture; I'd like to find one of that general sort.

#28    Thanato

Thanato

Alien Abducter

• 5,171 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 25 January 2013 - 02:04 PM, said:

Your point is great; I would however like to see you or someone address the point that has been made that males respond to women in the same danger by tending to give them special protection, creating a weakness the enemy can exploit.

Oh and I think you chose a great picture; I'd like to find one of that general sort.

Well in a combat your worried that either A) You are not going to make it and B) Your buddy isnt going to make it. Thats usually the driving factors to win the fight. Now Canada lost 3 women in Afghanistan An Artillery Captain (First woman to die in a combat role), A Medic, and an Armoured Corporal. Its more shocking in the publics eye when a woman dies because its not expected. We have been trained as a society to expect male military deaths. We now have to retrain society to expect both male and female casualties.

And what picture? My Jimmy Avatar?

~Thanato

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scrapping will remove the black parts!" ~Caboose

#29    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

View PostThanato, on 25 January 2013 - 02:12 PM, said:

Well in a combat your worried that either A) You are not going to make it and B) Your buddy isnt going to make it. Thats usually the driving factors to win the fight. Now Canada lost 3 women in Afghanistan An Artillery Captain (First woman to die in a combat role), A Medic, and an Armoured Corporal. Its more shocking in the publics eye when a woman dies because its not expected. We have been trained as a society to expect male military deaths. We now have to retrain society to expect both male and female casualties.

And what picture? My Jimmy Avatar?

I guess that's what its called -- the thing with Mercury in it and the crown.  Training society to accept female casualties is going to be a tough one; I would prefer to train society to not accept any casualties.

No, the issue is not really society's reaction, but the weakness created in a platoon when the enemy deliberately targets the women, which will happen, and the men will react inappropriately, or perhaps I should say, less than optimally.  This is because men protect women, in this case not as potential mates, but as potential mothers (its all crazy but it is the way men are wired).

#30    Thanato

Thanato

Alien Abducter

• 5,171 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 25 January 2013 - 02:24 PM, said:

I guess that's what its called -- the thing with Mercury in it and the crown.  Training society to accept female casualties is going to be a tough one; I would prefer to train society to not accept any casualties.

No, the issue is not really society's reaction, but the weakness created in a platoon when the enemy deliberately targets the women, which will happen, and the men will react inappropriately, or perhaps I should say, less than optimally.  This is because men protect women, in this case not as potential mates, but as potential mothers (its all crazy but it is the way men are wired).

In full fighting order, head to toe, odds of you noticing who's a woman and who's a man at distance is going to be hard. For a unit, lets say a section, the bond between the soldiers is usually tight no matter if its between male soldiers or female soldiers. They are usually treated the same because of the close bond between them.

As for my capbadge, we call Mercury Jimmy, its a Signals thing. It's the Canadian C&E Branch Cap badge.

~Thanato

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users