Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Lego accused of racism with Star Wars set

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:04 AM

Austria’s Turkish community said the model was based on Hagia Sophia mosque in Istanbul and that the accompanying figures depicted Asians and Orientals as people with “deceitful and criminal personalities.”

The Turkish Cultural Community of Austria released a statement calling for Lego to apologise for affronting religious and cultural feelings.

The anger was provoked by “Jabba’s Palace”, a model of the home of Jabba the Hutt from Lego’s Star Wars product range based on the blockbusting series of science fiction films.

The Jabba case came to light after an Austrian Turk complained to the organisation after his sister had bought his son the box set.
Austria’s Turkish community also took issue with the figures that went with the palace, including Jabba.
“The terrorist Jabba the Hutt likes to smoke a hookah and have his victims killed,” said the statement posted on the organisation’s website.
“It is clear that the ugly figure of Jabba and the whole scene smacks of racial prejudice and vulgar insinuations against Asians and Orientals as people with deceitful and criminal personalities.”
The crimes associated with the figures, the statements adds, include terrorism, slavery, murder and human sacrifice.

http://www.telegraph...r-Wars-set.html

Oh my god!!! Don't they have anything better to do than to find insults any-damn-where?

#2    EllJay

EllJay

Government Agent

• 3,684 posts

• Today We Are Creating Tomorrow's Yesterday

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:26 AM

Everything is sooo very offensive

"Opinions are like a**holes - everyone seems to have one" - Dirty Harry

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand... "

"I have a black belt in Feng Shui, the subtle martial art. I go home to you and move a lamp and a chair... twelve years later you lay there on the floor with broken kneecaps and destitute."

#3    Wordless Wanderer

Wordless Wanderer

Midnight Snack Muncher

• 2,422 posts

• Tinky winky, Dipsy, La-la, Po! Eh-Oh!

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:17 AM

*sigh* Although I don't think that it completely resembles Hagia Sophia but even if it does shouldn't they be taking this up with George Lucas instead of Lego, Lego merely made a model based on Jabba's Palace. People just love looking for inane reasons to highlight racism -_-

Posted Image

#4    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 19,239 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:31 AM

Jabba the Hut is an evil alien being...he's neither Turkish nor Asian. Perhaps being an 'evil alien' Jabba just adopted any cross cultural activities that appealed to his 'evilness'? IMO, someone is looking to sue and make themself some 'ill gotten gain'....how evil is that!

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#5    Oniomancer

Oniomancer

Soulless Minion Of Orthodoxy

• 3,606 posts

• Question everything

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

This is utterly ridiculous.

Okay, first off, this is Jabba's palace As it appears in The Return Of The Jedi:

Posted Image

They look nothing alike, unless you want to claim all domes are based on the Hagia Sophia, which is patently untrue.

Second, as WW said, Lego didn't come up with the design, the producers of Star Wars did. The turks are about 30 years late to the ball game.
(This will in fact be ROTJ's 30'th anniversary this year, which might have something to do with it.) If they want to blame anybody, they should blame the late Ralph McQuarrie, who passed away just last year. He did most of the concept design on all three movies.

Third, As the article states, the hagia sophia was originally a Byzantine christian church repurposed by the turks after the conquest of Constantinople.
They've got no claim whatsoever on it's architectural design.

"Apparently the Lemurians drank Schlitz." - Intrepid "Real People" reporter on finding a mysterious artifact in the depths of Mount Shasta.

#6    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,050 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

My sister had me going for years saying the LEGO men were Asians because of how yellow they were. Luckily they have Legends of Chima now for the furries... I've bought a few ._.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#7    ozman

ozman

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

• luv the unexplained

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

Arabs are more yellow than asians.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic