Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

Should Cigarettes Be Illegal?

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#46    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

Tobacoo has been around long enough that making it illegal sounds absurd. You cant regulate a plant.

#47    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,032 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:03 PM

View PostAsteroidX, on 25 January 2013 - 07:01 PM, said:

Tobacoo has been around long enough that making it illegal sounds absurd. You cant regulate a plant.
Cocaine comes from the coca plant.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#48    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

I will stand by my original post and say cocoa leaves come from a plant. Cocaine is processed by chemicals (severely).

Cocoa leaves by themselves are a mild stimulant when chewed and help the Andean people work in the High altitudes they live in. It also has a minor pain killing effect. It has been a part of there culture for thousands of years to chew this plant and can still be bought in open air markets in the region and is not illegal.

Edited by AsteroidX, 25 January 2013 - 07:06 PM.

#49    Hasina

Hasina

• 3,032 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

View PostAsteroidX, on 25 January 2013 - 07:04 PM, said:

I will stand by my original post and say cocoa leaves come from a plant. Cocaine is processed by chemicals (severely).
Marijuana.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#50    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:08 PM

The medicinal properties of marijuana are well documented now. I think I know whats coming next.... :whistle:

#51    pallidin

pallidin

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,155 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:15 PM

View PostMichelle, on 25 January 2013 - 06:39 PM, said:

I'm glad you said presumed. People assume everyone that gets lung cancer got it from smoking or second hand smoke and that is definitely not true.

What do you think they are going to try and outlaw next? Fast food? Alcohol? Soft drinks? Sugary foods?

Yeah, I hear you.

I like to smoke when I "drink", and I would defend my desire to do so.
But, I am an adult, and I do understand the health risks, so I do it with free will.

Yet, as a smoker myself, I am not brain-dead as to the serious dangers of it.
Having high blood pressure, smoking can certainly lead to stroke.

Sure, some people have smoked all their life and never got lung cancer or such.
Then, there are those whom have never smoked, or even been around it, and have gotten lung cancer(not many, but that is still in the medical literature)

I don't know anything. Just don't take away my beer.

Edited by pallidin, 25 January 2013 - 07:17 PM.

#52    Hasina

Hasina

• 3,032 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:15 PM

View PostAsteroidX, on 25 January 2013 - 07:08 PM, said:

The medicinal properties of marijuana are well documented now. I think I know whats coming next.... :whistle:
Peyote.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#53    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,689 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

Posted Image

Bufotenin!

"G a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnwan n gef!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".

"I was born with a priceless gift - the ability to laugh at other peoples' troubles" - Dame Edna Everage

#54    Leah G.

Leah G.

Poltergeist

• 2,966 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

View PostMichelle, on 25 January 2013 - 06:39 PM, said:

I'm glad you said presumed. People assume everyone that gets lung cancer got it from smoking or second hand smoke and that is definitely not true.

What do you think they are going to try and outlaw next? Fast food? Alcohol? Soft drinks? Sugary foods?
Oh and heave forbid SALT.... You know it causes high blood pressure... What they don't tell you is that you do need some of everything, yes, imo smoke too, not saying cigarettes but we need a little exposure to everything to build up a tolerance to it. You take a child that's never been exposed to any allergens and you end up with an adult with severe allergies. I played in the dirt, drank water out of a hose and was around cigarette smoke all of my life, everyone smoked at my childhood home and heavily. I'm still here and I've never had cancer. I don't have any real health issues and I'm old. I do attribute it to exposure as a child and doing all the things that today's parents live in fear of. The reality is that some people get cancer from things, all sorts of things but you have to have a predisposition for it first. The key is moderation in all things and that can only be governed by you. Of course this is my opinion and I'm sure someone will pull up a bunch of facts to repute it.

#55    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

Peyote is still used in religious ceremonies by native Americans and has been deemed legal for them to do so.

#56    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

View PostAsteroidX, on 25 January 2013 - 07:08 PM, said:

Medicinal properties? I'm all for legalising cannabis, but this is nothing more than misinformation. Smoking or otherwise ingesting THC has literally no known health benefits, other than pain relief; it is only when chemically broken down and utilised in some fields of science that there have been noted benefits in areas such as cancer research. To try to promote the plant in this way is disingenuous.

#57    Hasina

Hasina

• 3,032 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

View PostAsteroidX, on 25 January 2013 - 07:33 PM, said:

Peyote is still used in religious ceremonies by native Americans and has been deemed legal for them to do so.
Still regulated though, eh?

Posted Image

~MEH~

#58    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:39 PM

It would seem peyote is still regulated. And since its use is for Native American religious ceremonies unless your participating in one one might argue your abusing the drug. Few people go out pick and find there own peyote and make the teas from it. So Ill leave it at that.

#59    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 25 January 2013 - 05:58 PM, said:

To get into a discussion of that would be to hijack this thread, so if you want to please start one.  Let me just say that it don't work that way and that effecting change is just as hard here as anywhere.

Best i not start a thread on that frank,I only broach the subjects of politics and religion when i care not if i create new enemies hahaha

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#60    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

Medicinal properties? I'm all for legalising cannabis, but this is nothing more than misinformation. Smoking or otherwise ingesting THC has literally no known health benefits, other than pain relief; it is only when chemically broken down and utilised in some fields of science that there have been noted benefits in areas such as cancer research. To try to promote the plant in this way is disingenuous.

I agree broken down its even more medicinal. But just smoking or vaporizing it gives you the same health benefits (cancer and loss of appetite being one) but in a less concentrated form. Im sorry Big Pharm cant have Marijuana.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users